Jays-fair game?

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

Yes before we start they do the same as crows and magpies :angry: Try to controll as many corvids as we can all year round :victory: But we have very few jays around and they are such a pretty bird...that shooting them seems sad :( Not saying we dont shoot them beacuse if i see the odd one :gunsmilie: BANG :hunter: Just wondering what other keepers opinions on these birds are??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Never let an oppertunity to stop a Jay get past me in my life, mate. Never would!

Best thing for those b*stards in a simple cage trap baited up with acorns. That or a charge from a shot gun.

When I worked in Perthshire there was alot of jays and I had a shoot on sight policy. All you need is one pair to breed and you have more and they will soon take hold you wouldnt let a litter of foxes get away on your place so why let egg thieves breed.

Regards highlander

Edited by highlander
Never let an oppertunity to stop a Jay get past me in my life, mate. Never would!

Best thing for those b*stards in a simple cage trap baited up with acorns. That or a charge from a shot gun.

well said ditch, never tryed catchin them in larsons though, do they enter the trap aswell as hoodies and maggies ??

Guest Ditch_Shitter

No idea what they're like around Larsen's, mate. But a Legg Midget and even the 'New Forest Trap' (if ye've ever come across that one?) are said to be lethal. Basicly then; Any small cage trap with an open end entrance, set on the forest floor and loaded with acorns.

i always take the opertunity to shoot them tricky things though, bought my self a 17 hmr and that seems to do the trick when they are sitting in the woods seem to sit okay at 100 yards try to get nearer and they are of also done well in a strips of oaks sit and wait at day break flight them in to the trees also seenthem come down to one that i have shot and use as a decoy gets them closer enough for the bennellie to deal with them lol

No idea what they're like around Larsen's, mate. But a Legg Midget and even the 'New Forest Trap' (if ye've ever come across that one?) are said to be lethal. Basicly then; Any small cage trap with an open end entrance, set on the forest floor and loaded with acorns.

by a cage trap i guess u mean a cat /mink style cage trap ?? aint ever heard of,never mind seen the first traps you mentioned. lol

Guest little_lloyd

Shoot the odd one but when i moslty see them i have no gun on me :chair: They shoot an awfull lot on the shoot across the road!

What would be the best bait for a live catch trap??

Guest Ditch_Shitter
What would be the best bait for a live catch trap??

:icon_eek:Give Me F*cking Strength!!!! Acorns. Acorns! F*cking ACORNS! For f*ck sake! Don't you kids take Anything in these days?! Do ye read a Thread? Or just glance at the title and ask a stupid f*cking question at the end of it?! A F*cking Corns! :rolleyes:

Al; The traps I mention aren't worth my bothering to go get them out and photograph them, mate. A word of description will do:

Legg Midget is about four inches square. About fifteen inched long and has a simple, push up door, mate. Photo wouldn't make that any clearer. Craic is, they have a built in tray, under the cage, in which ye can put the Dog shit used as an all time bait for Jays.

Mr Young, of the New Forest invented the 'Youngs' New Forest Tra'. Hence the name. All it ammounts to, for your purposes, is a chicken wire box about nine inches square and with a treadle inside which releases a simple, guillotine drop door :good:

Now sit on ye fingers till Acorn season. Then go gather a load and store them, removed from their little cups, till next summer. Then massacre ye local Jay population as never before ;)

oppertunistic theives we have had them in squirrel traps pinching the peanuts athough they are attractive birds they are on a par with magpies for the havoc they cause to wild birdsall year round if the chance comes get rid save problems later and your song birds will thrive ;)

One of the most satisfying ways to control jays and corvids in general ,is to call from inside a wood ,partly concealed.You need some skill at producing a rabbit squeal as you would when foxing !.Corvids cannot resist coming to investigate a squeal ,just to mob the predator thats apparently responsible .Dont hide too well as you need to raise the shot gun as the bird is coming in on the wing ,just as they are about to land is best. Wait till they settle in a tree and youv'e blown it as they will spot the movement and be off out the back door .Corvids and birds in general find it hard to focus on small movement when they are committed to a landing .Leave any shot birds lying where they fall as this adds to the corvids concern .I've been able to get the local jays,magpies and crows in a real frenzy doing this and its exciting too .Be vigilant as not all jays come in screaming and can make or immitate any sound youve ever heard in the woods .Change your position each time you try it and you can mop up big time .

Foxdropper .