Jays-fair game?

Guest little_lloyd

Guest Ditch_Shitter

All this reminds me, ye know; In a past life I was working on Pat Pinkers' Game Farm. We had a jay there. Big b*stard to. Mr Pinker reckons it was the biggest one he ever saw.

I heard a gun shot once and looked up in time to see Mr Pinker just lowering a gun. Found out later he'd missed the bugger. Saw it myself one time. It haunted the roadside trees at the entrance to the farm. I was up there and heard a commotion. I went into the tree line and came across a scene I can picture now. Small bird, screaming hysterically. Just as that jay emerged from where the nest was, egg in it's beak. I was carrying no gun. That set me off though and I wiped out three maggie's, down by the laying pens, that very afternoon. Still no guns involved.

While later, back down home, I was carrying a gun. 12 bore. I was stood in under a big tree, sheltering from a summer shower, when I heard two jays come in along the woods edge. One of them landing right in this tree. Directly above me.

I peered up, craning my neck and, incredibly, there it was. Cackling high above me but yet in plain view. I smiled to nyself as I calmly raised the gun to my shoulder. Spread my feet and took careful and steady aim. Sent a full load of # 6 straight to that b*stards arse hole. Down he came! B*stards.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Ali; That didn't agree with him, did it? :laugh: Personally, I'm gagging to find out what forty odd grains of high velocity Hollow Point will do with a Hoodie at 150 yards, mate! You Will be shown pictures! :D

LL; Pat Pinker? You're up his way, eh? Aye. I expect Mr Pinker's getting on a fair bit by now? I'd guess his young son's grown up to take a part in the business. Should ye ever happen to meet Mr Pinker himself, ask him if Collin's still about, over at Frampton Cottrel. Collin taught me things about birds. Explained Clap Nets and all sorts to me. Top Man! ;)

Give ye a little giggle about old Pat Pinker: He's deaf as a post in at least one ear. I can sympathise now as I am too and it's no joke. But (and this was thirty odd years ago) he was mutton when I knew him.

So anyway, I spot him leaning on a gate post one day. Just stood there, looking out over his corn crop, like ye do. I had some question for him and so headed down that way. I never called out and he never turned round.

Then, when I was about thirty yards from him, he cracked his arse and let out with the longest, loudest, doubtless most satisfying fart I've ever heard! It went of for ever and the trees shuddered with it!

That's when he looked round and saw me. His eyes locked on mine. My expression locked on my face. Understanding passed. He was the Boss and I'd heard Nothing! :laugh:

Never forgotten that! :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Gamekeeper? No mate. He's just a bloke, lives in a house and keeps British Birds. Not much for reading and writing, as I remember. But he knew what he was doing. Had a funny little 'Lap Dog' look allike at that time. Looked like a Papplion cross. That Dog taught me how it's not what the thing looks like. If he told it to nail something; Nail something it would.

Anyway; Working for Mr Pinker? Why not? All he'll ask of ye is that ye turn up on time and do what ever needs to be done. He's a self made man - started off with a couple of 'aquired' pheasents - and is now a major player in his game. But he's built up to all he has now by getting his own hands dirty and expects no more and no less from those he takes on.

He's a shrewd and straightforeward businessman and won't tolerate Any shit. F*ck up and ye gone. Period. He doesn't need to offer second chances. Be sure ye never need a first one and ye'll be alright with the man. Never try to take a liberty with the man. He'll take none with you. All he ever asked was a fair - and fairly long, as that's the nature of the business - days work from ye.

Most of all, get it into ye head that his is the business of Game Farmer. He's not a Gamekeeper, and nor would you be in working for him. Don't start trying to act like one. He sells Fenn Traps but you won't be spending His time going about setting them. You'll be kept busy with chucking wood shavings down. Filling feeders and drinkers. Keeping an eye on the 'Electric Hens' like ye very heart beat depends on them. Picking up eggs and shifting things about. Don't ask about fetching a gun. Mr Pinker has his own and He takes care of such things.

If ye get a chance with him? Grab it with both hands and don't ever let yeself slack and / or f*ck up. He's a Game Farmer. A pheasent breeding factory. Guess who he sells to? Thus he's on back slapping terms with more real, live Gamekeepers than you could ever imagine. Please him. Show him what ye Really made of and he'll sort ye out. He'll reccomend ye to one of his customers.

But first ye need to get in there. And show him ye worth him reccomending.

small cage traps worked fine for me i was trapping grey squigs ,i had the cage baited with peanuts not salted :tongue2: ,and maize i had one in this trap and another on top of the other shelter i bet the second jay caught was calling his mate worse than sh1t for luring him there they will come to check them out

:big_boss:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

How would I go about getting a job at Pinker's? Much the same way as I did before, mate; Badger the man relentlessly for f*cking years!

In your case, being so close by and having the contacts? I'd allow the older people to have a crack for ye first. But if that doesn't work out and ye truly determined? Then I'd find out what time Mr Pinker himself turns up at the farm and what time the first people arrive. Probably a bit earlier as he likely has a Manager by now.

That done, each morning, set off with ye packed lunch and f*cking well be at that gate. When the Manager, or who ever arrives and asks ye what ye up to, tell them ye waiting to see Mr Pinker. When He arrives, ask if he can make use of ye. He may well be distracted and shake his head with bearly a look at ye. But that's fine. Because he'll be f*cking well looking at ye every damn morning for the next week at least. Simply turn up at his Farm gate every morning and look ready to get stuck in. Remain polite and on ye toes at all times and stick with it. May seem a chore. But it'd likely ammount to no more than a week of ye life. Think of it as ye job. You're his Gate Keeper and must be at that gate every morning and greet everyone else.

I've had an insight to Patrick Pinkers mind set, mate. He likes quiet determination. Show him ye have some steel and he'll call his Manager over one day and tell the guy he's been thinking of giving that lad out by the gate a try .....