A GOOD MORNING FOWLING

It wasnt the best morning for fowling, it was -13c, still, thick fog and the moon shining brightlly but ive not been for a couple of weeks for a morning flight and the end of the season is close so i thought i would give it ago and im pleased i did.

The 1st problem was getting the van doors open as they were frozen shut and the 2nd was when i arrived at the car park i only had my light weight chest waders and no thermals on.

I set off along the bank for a 30 to 40 min walk which was good as it kept me fairly warm and when i arrived at the rivers edge the visibility was only 40 to 50 yards not ideal. after 15 mins 8 teal flew by up river and as i was not ready didnt get a shot off but to my surprize they swung across the marsh and headed straight for me. I took 1 shot and down came a teal about 20 yards out into the river. As the teal hit the water ben was well on his way for his 1st retrieve of the morning, i only took the 1 shot as i knew full well ben would not be able to retrieve the 2nd if i hit it as the tide was coming in fast and because of the fog it would be out of sight before he returned withe 1st. The 2nd teal came in much the same way and only 1 shot again as it fell further out in the river and a good 2nd retrieve for ben.

I thought i would give it 15 more mins when i heard some geese calling and on the move, there were greys and canadas in a small skien but still out of veiw but getting closer. A few moments later i saw the outline of them coming towards me and when i took the 1st shot they were 20 yards up and 25 yards to the left, a grey fell to the 1st shot another grey to the 2nd and a canada to the 3rd, well pleased 5 shots 5 kills. It was time to leave and half way back my shoulder was in a bit of pain due to the weight in the bag but i trudged on and made it to the van. An excellent morning in the end and as you can see from the photos ben was pleased to get home near the fire and his breakfast. i dont know how dogs manage in the cold like this but he loved it this morning and his tail never stopped wagging

P1010092.jpg

P1010088.jpg

P1010085.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday morning on the Humber, nr Reads Island ?

I had a few teal but some boys a few hundred yards downstream seemed to be getting into the geese, could'nt see because of the fog. Maybe you were one of the? It was -12°C and my decoys had a ring of ice around them when I retrived them. The dog went white with the hoar frost but did'nt seem to mind a swin or two, the water would have been warmer than the air temp though !