The Working Terrier Yearbooks.

The Working Terrier Yearbooks.

Only last week I was crouched behind my friend’s computer. Eyes fixed at the bright screen like I was hypnotised, in a trance. My friend has an EBay account and I was bidding for one of the old Working Terrier Yearbooks. It was £15 and we were winning with only a minute remaining. I felt elated, just daring anyone to outbid me, and then at the very last second, before I had time to react the little red cross appeared that told I had been pipped at the post yet again. A red mist came over me; anger very much like road-rage. The cheeky so and so’s. Or words to that effect. But now there is an alternative to waiting up all night, bidding on the few of these publications that come up for sale on a rather scant basis. At long last Dave Harcombe has compiled five of the yearbooks into one rather large, healthy volume that simply draws you in. The front cover shows a great picture of a terrier that looks like it has certainly done its fair share, but they say don’t judge a book by its cover, so lets turn the pages and have a look at what “meat†lies beneath the surface. A plethora of interviews, with the likes of Ken Smith, Arthur Nixon, John Park, Bert Gripton, Billy Purvis, Ken Gould, to name but a few. If you, like me, love reading of the old time boys then it will certainly be the book for you, with tales of good digs and terriers of old.

A myriad of articles can also be found within the books 420+ pages, quality writing for terriermen by terriermen, from the likes of George Thompson, Wayne Comben, Peter Tulip and many others, not to mention the usual top-class pen-work from Dave himself.

What more can I say really. Priced at a mere £20 plus the usual £4 postage I cannot see any other working dog book being such good value for money. Such a pittance for a 420 page hardback makes a mockery of what the individual soft back yearbooks go for on the internet. And please don’t mistake this book for the three volume compilation done previously, for it is of a much higher quality and will last a lifetimes hard thumbing due to its glossy hardback, laminated cover. So, don’t delay order today, it’s a book worthy of any terriermans bookshelf. J Darcy.

It may be prudent to snap this book up now whilst there is some still available.

Please send cheques/ Postal orders payable to Fieldfare to :

Fieldfare,

Po Box 2,

Llandeilo,

SA 19 6EW

The price is a bargain £20, but please add £4 postage and packing because this really is a big, thick volume.

Happy Reading folks.