difference between russel and patterdale

All the same just with different colour coats some better workers than others

You put the word (WORKING) that's why i said they are all the same just different coulor's. Go for what you prefare and make sure its off good working stuff.

ok pal so are they the same when going to ground? cheers for the help

over the yrs Ive had Russel's and Patts and I have found that the Patts where harder than my Russel's,but in saying that the Russel's have always been easier to handle/control than the Patts,the Patts do my head in at times,there very firery and the Russel's where a lot calmer,but Im sure there are some Russel's out there that are as hard as nails/good earth dogs

I like to see a good Russel and would still like one in my kennels (earthdog not Bushing)

and Ive never seen a Border work yet

• Like 3

I would pretty much agree with RIK in his assessment,patts/fells are an out and out digging terrier that once in the ground have to be dug to,some can be too hard for their own good but are very honest workers prepared to take pain in the pursuit of quarry,Russells tend to have a bit more brain and can reason situations better capable of bushing,ferreting,and can be shot over,they stand off and bay looking for the bolt if poss and are better all round workers,as for borders I'm afraid in 40yrs of earthwork I've only dug to a few and that was 30yrs ago,I believe there are still a few workers about but they are few and far between so be carefull where you buy and in fact I've seen more bedlingtons work than borders,so it comes down to what your going to be hunting and how often your going to be on the land??how much permission you have in preservation of game??and if your partial to a good dig without looking over your shoulder,always buy off known workers and try to see both parents as size and spannability is very important to the area of britain you will work it in,good luck in your choice and try to buy what you find pleasing to you,atb,WM

• Like 1

Rik,I was really interested in what you were saying about the different characteristics of the Patterdale and the Russell,I have a Parsons and a Jack that was recently killed by a hit and run driver.Our main quarry was rabbits the Jack did the bushing and the Parsons would stand at the edge till they were flushed and with the longer legs he would bring them down in full flight,they were a great team and none of it was down to me.

Im now thinking of a Patterdale to work with the Parsons,is this practical?I just had a right "pisser" with loosing the Jack and being an amateur id welcome anyones thoughts.Thanks.

Utter Bollocks !!

Why's it utter bollocks? You get pats that won't mix it and Russels that go for the kill I cant see how people can determine a dogs working style through its colour?

• Like 4

Utter Bollocks !!

Why's it utter bollocks? You get pats that won't mix it and Russels that go for the kill I cant see how people can determine a dogs working style through its colour?

:thumbs:

and your point is what ?? ALL TERRIERS ARE THE SAME ??? I'll say it again " Utter bollocks" you obviously have no experience of different dogs, there's a reason why people keep Russells, Pats, Borders, Lakelands,Bedlingtons etc etc they all have different working styles, some might be the exception to the rule, some might work different to their counterparts, but in general these breeds are different and are different for a reason..

if your point is drop em in, dig em out... then maybe they're the same ???