Back at the rats.

Last February we had only one day on the rats, the shock came that the land was to be sold off, the gamekeeper out of a job. Although it was really sad we would not to see that kind of ratting again, i had to keep my cup half full and just count myself lucky to have been part of it, to see that amount of rats is rare and a massive priviledge, and i had only been part of it all thanks to Bulter from here :signthankspin::notworthy:

So when i got a telephone call to say Butler has been contacted and ratters were needed back there...and could i go, Mmmmm let me see :hmm:

I nearly wet my knickers with excitement :laugh::boogy:

So it was Bultler, Neil who kindly invited us, Martin, Danny, Millet. And my future husband young Ethan (Son of my future father-in-law Bultler) and myself with out dogs in tow, the youngest 6mths and the eldest 14yrs.

The lurchers were a huge miss today, and their absence tinged the day with sadness, we are 3 lurchers and one terrier down this time.

RIP, Jazz, Cilla and little Willow, all seasoned ratters who loved it and were dearly missed, they all died last year. :sorry:

And get well soon Rude boy who is still in the vets.

Boo tried his best to step up and fill the gap, but he is neither tall enough to see them in the cover as the lurchers did, nor is he that bothered really :rolleyes: but he did not shame me too much and accounted for a few.

Backontherats421220.jpg

Backontherats421219.jpg

Backontherats421210.jpg

Backontherats42124.jpg

Backontherats42123.jpg

There were some new faces today, a lovely Jacky, and a border...granddaughter of Willow.

Backontherats421221.jpg

Backontherats42129.jpg

Plus Peters new pup, who had an absolutely smashing day running around with dead rats as only pups can, she was VERY keen though, once she chased and bit her first she was the most focused of any pup i have seen on a ratting day.

Backontherats421229.jpg

Backontherats421228.jpg

Backontherats421223.jpg

And another newbie. Bet you have never seen a miniature daschund dug too....well you have now :D

Backontherats42125.jpg

Satan has balls of steel not afraid of anything or anyone, and got stuck in the whole time..

Backontherats42128.jpg

Backontherats42126.jpg

Peaches oop's sorry meant SATAN again :D

Backontherats421216.jpg

Backontherats421217.jpg

Some sneaky half grown youngsters making a bid for freedom, whilst Keepa was doing her breathing out of her arse impression..

Backontherats421226.jpg

Backontherats421225.jpg

Some of the men accounted for a fair few under foot.

Backontherats421213.jpg

Backontherats421212.jpg

And some didnt :laugh:

Backontherats4212.jpg

Backontherats42121.jpg

The best of the rest.................

Backontherats421227.jpg

Backontherats421224.jpg

Backontherats421230.jpg

Backontherats421231.jpg

Backontherats421222.jpg

Backontherats421218.jpg

Backontherats421215.jpg

Backontherats421214.jpg

Backontherats42127.jpg

Backontherats42126.jpg

We had to end prematurely after only 4 hours, it must have been an easy -15 degrees with the wind chill and the snow started, we knew it was forcast to be heavy and as i had a 2.5 hour drive home and the lads a 1.5 we thought better safe than sorry.

Grahame the previous keeper and his lovely wife Fern were a huge miss today, Grahame with his sense of humour and patience, and Fern with her after ratting tea and cake back at the house. The older i get, the more i hate change.

EOD shot...61 rats, not the usual 2-3 hundred we normally get on the first day of the season, but still a respectable number considering the conditions, and the fact Neil is doing too good a job controlling the rats with traps and bait. The lads did a great job breaking through the ground which was like bell metal in most places.

Backontherats421232.jpg

I can never thank you all enough from myself and my dogs for the invite's. One day when i win the lottery you will be my full time rat managers :victory:

Thank you.x.

• Like 9

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last February we had only one day on the rats, the shock came that the land was to be sold off, the gamekeeper out of a job. Although it was really sad we would not to see that kind of ratting again,

He is still pretty fit for his age but is a little weak on his back end..so he can't manage a full day at it anymore..once he had marked a few and killed a couple i put him back in the car after about

I had just as much fun when we used to go to an old farm and spend all day to get 6 Gnipper

Posted Images

as always moll good write up and photo,s how many rats did satan account for Degsy

She accounted for one, and helped with a good few others :D

Believe it or not she had to be put away in the car, she has a habit of scenting up, going away and off to ground, she is so small she can get in rabbit holes :thumbs:

Looks a brilliant day moll, makes my dozen look a bit naff. Our cover crops just dont seem to hold as many but a dozen a day will do me and keep these nutters quiet ;) . I'm gonna have to get another border when i find some at a fair price.