Whippet and Whippet Type Lurchers (Northern Ireland Shows)

That's fair enough Kieran, but at the end of the day you're not actually running a race for whippets then, that's certainly one way of stopping the arguing lol!!

janet i can hold a papers only race for the whippets if i get entries but you and i know therell be about three that would show them,if im wrong then ill hold one no bother,

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the problem started when non hunting folk started 2 get involved, like keeping dogs just 4 racing.working dog shows were 4 people who hunt dogs 2 meet and have a bit of fun and a chat,see what dogs ar

I remember when Lurcher racing was some thing for working Lurchers to do in the summer months, and wasn't taken to seriously; but now it seems there are purpouse bred "Lurchers", for racing only, and

Here we go again, knock the whippet people! There are only two sets of people who have created this problem, the show organisers who see £ signs and have put on whippet show classes and racing knowing

Here's a no brainer, over the course of the year:-

Under 21" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Under 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Over 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood or possibly an umarked greyhound :tongue2:

In other words anyone who wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs to keep an eye on the K9 non ped section to see whats being bred :blink:

daz can i ask what your goin to race this year mate

A non ped whippetxgreyhound. Hopefully she'll stay under 21". At 8 months she is 20 3/4". She was bought to be a wee rabbiting dog and to race at the odd show. Some people will argue that it's a longdog and not a lurcher depending on who's definition you choose as to what a lurcher is. In my opinion anyone who seriously wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs non ped whippet/greyhound blood.

• Like 1

That's fair enough Kieran, but at the end of the day you're not actually running a race for whippets then, that's certainly one way of stopping the arguing lol!!

janet i can hold a papers only race for the whippets if i get entries but you and i know therell be about three that would show them,if im wrong then ill hold one no bother,

will there be whippet showing at your show :hmm:

I remember when Lurcher racing was some thing for working Lurchers to do in the summer months, and wasn't taken to seriously; but now it seems there are purpouse bred "Lurchers", for racing only, and never actualy see any work, These dogs seem, in the main, to be Non-Ped Whippets and unregistered Greyhounds. If people want to take it so seriously, why not race these dogs, out of traps, against their peers, at organised Whippet or Greyhound tracks ?

Cheers.

• Like 4

Over 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood or possibly an umarked greyhound :tongue2:

In other words anyone who wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs to keep an eye on the K9 non ped section to see whats being bred :blink:

A non ped whippetxgreyhound. Hopefully she'll stay under 21". At 8 months she is 20 3/4". She was bought to be a wee rabbiting dog and to race at the odd show. Some people will argue that it's a longdog and not a lurcher depending on who's definition you choose as to what a lurcher is. In my opinion anyone who seriously wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs non ped whippet/greyhound blood.

Edited by up the beam

Can anyone remember back to when a terrier- collie -bull cross any sort of dog that was not race bred won a rave here ? If you want to be in the winning ciircles a race bred is the only way to go FULL STOP that's the way it is At least if a dog is working in the field catching a few rabbits that's fair enough to get beat by a working dog. Rather than some of the dogs have chased f##k all but a bag.And were coats if the wind blows .

Edited by pigsy
  • Like 3

this is all starting again for nothing an pigsy if u have looked back at the last few races that where run this year my lurcher bitch has won a few races an shes a lurcher bull wheaton greyhound not sure what way but thats what i bought her as so i cant say anythin if the dog has it the dog will win a race if the proper feeding an exercise is put in to the dog heres a pic of her shes not in good shape here

167975_126277990775223_100001790676791_163833_7272573_n.jpg

• Like 1

this is all starting again for nothing an pigsy if u have looked back at the last few races that where run this year my lurcher bitch has won a few races an shes a lurcher bull wheaton greyhound not sure what way but thats what i bought her as so i cant say anythin if the dog has it the dog will win a race if the proper feeding an exercise is put in to the dog heres a pic of her shes not in good shape here

167975_126277990775223_100001790676791_163833_7272573_n.jpg

do you even own a whippet ??????????

Third time lucky lol Dazzam i have tryed a couple of times today to comment here but using my phone and had problems so here goes for a third time.First of all the best of luck with your wee dog good to see you getting back into it, i would agree with the point you are making about the whippet x greyhounds being the breading for winning races and on the right ground they make great wee rabbiting dogs>But heres were the problem starts its all in the name these dogs have picked up NON PEDS these dogs are lurchers or long dogs as you have stated yourself by no means are they whippets even with only 1/16 greyhound in them they will still usualy out perform a full whippet.So i think you will agree the solution to the ongoing debate about these dogs would be for the organisers of the racing to introduce a whippet type lurcher race and have three lurcher races instead of two as i think tango has already said but the important bit for people to rember is these dogs in question are NOT whippets and should NOT be confused as whippets.I had a dog in the past that fell into this bracket and to be honest i would not of wanted to race it with under 23 lurchers but then we did not have the numbers of whippets attending the shows as we do now so the class was called a whippet type lurcher race but with the number of whippets and the number of non peds( for the want of a better word )i think two seperate races would work well for everyone, with no need for papers and a lot less ill feeling among the whippet people and the lurcher people> go on someone give it a go ...................Glen doc

• Like 1

will there be whippet showing at your show :hmm:

yes there will be full classes for whippets.see post for show thanks

Third time lucky lol Dazzam i have tryed a couple of times today to comment here but using my phone and had problems so here goes for a third time.First of all the best of luck with your wee dog good to see you getting back into it, i would agree with the point you are making about the whippet x greyhounds being the breading for winning races and on the right ground they make great wee rabbiting dogs>But heres were the problem starts its all in the name these dogs have picked up NON PEDS these dogs are lurchers or long dogs as you have stated yourself by no means are they whippets even with only 1/16 greyhound in them they will still usualy out perform a full whippet.So i think you will agree the solution to the ongoing debate about these dogs would be for the organisers of the racing to introduce a whippet type lurcher race and have three lurcher races instead of two as i think tango has already said but the important bit for people to rember is these dogs in question are NOT whippets and should NOT be confused as whippets.I had a dog in the past that fell into this bracket and to be honest i would not of wanted to race it with under 23 lurchers but then we did not have the numbers of whippets attending the shows as we do now so the class was called a whippet type lurcher race but with the number of whippets and the number of non peds( for the want of a better word )i think two seperate races would work well for everyone, with no need for papers and a lot less ill feeling among the whippet people and the lurcher people> go on someone give it a go ...................Glen doc

this is my attempt to please a few glen and i will modifiy it next time round where i can hope you and the gang can make it
  • Like 1

what i really cant understand is that there is now an under 21 inches rule that means whippets,or any lurcher under that, yet the standard for whippets is ideally 18 and a half inches for a dog, 17 and a half for a bitch, and the whippet coursing club have a max height limit of 20 inches, (the english whippet book) it is my idea if were talking about height limits and racing for pedigree whippets and pedigrees only should it not be pedigree whippet standard?? i dont think we can complain when people race non-peds of that height as it is really hard to tell, how do we tell whippets from 15ths 16th's whippet,greyhounds??! papers are to handy to get these days, so thats out the window, as you know by now im involved in running a race day shortly and i have specified a category for whippets only but how can i tell? does any one want to volunteer themselves as a judge of whats a whippet and whats a non-ped??