Whippet and Whippet Type Lurchers (Northern Ireland Shows)

I know there was a lot of discussion/debate/arguments :D during the show season of Whippet and Whippet type lurchers. Was there any conclusion at to what way the races are going to be run this year to help alleviate a lot of the issues that came up last year or will it vary from show to show :hmm: .

Edited by Dazzam

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the problem started when non hunting folk started 2 get involved, like keeping dogs just 4 racing.working dog shows were 4 people who hunt dogs 2 meet and have a bit of fun and a chat,see what dogs ar

I remember when Lurcher racing was some thing for working Lurchers to do in the summer months, and wasn't taken to seriously; but now it seems there are purpouse bred "Lurchers", for racing only, and

Here we go again, knock the whippet people! There are only two sets of people who have created this problem, the show organisers who see £ signs and have put on whippet show classes and racing knowing

Guest ladyjane

Hi Dazzam,

The bottom line is that it's up to each individual show organiser. I've no doubt the same debates will rage on this year again, the main problem areas seemed to be the races where prize money was involved. I'd like to say that it can be left to the integrity of the individuals concerned but when your up against people who's argument is "I bought it as a whippet" or to someone who puts their dogs pedigree up for all to see, clearly containing greyhounds, and still insisting that the dog is a whippet, I don't know what the answer is. Even one race meeting who publicised that no dog would run without papers, they didn't even look for them!

Janet

I know there was a lot of discussion/debate/arguments :D during the show season of Whippet and Whippet type lurchers. Was there any conclusion at to what way the races are going to be run this year to help alleviate a lot of the issues that came up last year or will it vary from show to show :hmm: .

the mourne will have under21,under23 and over 23,straight racing,i will have measuring sticks there on the day,im sure if they dont argue about this theyll find something else :laugh:
  • Like 2

I don't think it maters too much what you run as long as the the dog in question dos'nt win .This topic has run it's self out will never be sorted There is no solution that is going to please everyone . Tango is taking the right stance on this one.Lurcher racing is for lurchers . :toast:

Hi Dazzam,

The bottom line is that it's up to each individual show organiser. I've no doubt the same debates will rage on this year again, the main problem areas seemed to be the races where prize money was involved. I'd like to say that it can be left to the integrity of the individuals concerned but when your up against people who's argument is "I bought it as a whippet" or to someone who puts their dogs pedigree up for all to see, clearly containing greyhounds, and still insisting that the dog is a whippet, I don't know what the answer is. Even one race meeting who publicised that no dog would run without papers, they didn't even look for them!

Janet

Janet,

I introduced prize money to bring the terrier, lurchers and whippet competitions into line with our other competitions as we were receiving criticism that the terrier, lurcher and whippet prizes as supplied by the Mid Antrim Club ( although paid for by us) made TLW enthusiasts the 'poor relations' of the shows.

Having responded positively to this, at quite a considerable cost to us, you now appear to be saying this is not what TLW owners want.

Our current plans discussed at a planning meeting this morning do include an extended prize fund ( cash & product) and also additional classes /races to give more people an opportunity to win. However in these current difficult times I certainly don't want to be throwing investment at something that isn't wanted. Can I have views on this?

Guest ladyjane

Albert,

I have re read my post and I can't for the life of me see where you draw the conclusion from that I'm saying the lurcher, terrier and whippet folk don't want prize money! I gave my opinion to Dazzam who I know personally, and I'm not going to be drawn into another endless series of posts going over the same thing. I agree with Pigsy on that one! My point was that the draw of the prize money brought certain dogs out that never appeared anywhere else, that's all.

Janet

• Like 1

Albert,

I have re read my post and I can't for the life of me see where you draw the conclusion from that I'm saying the lurcher, terrier and whippet folk don't want prize money! I gave my opinion to Dazzam who I know personally, and I'm not going to be drawn into another endless series of posts going over the same thing. I agree with Pigsy on that one! My point was that the draw of the prize money brought certain dogs out that never appeared anywhere else, that's all.

Janet

Janet,

Albert,

Janet

Janet,

I may have drawn the wrong inference from your post " the main problem areas seemed to be the races where prize money was involved". But you have raised an interesting point on prizes on which I would like yours and others' opinions - what would the TLW enthusiasts want as prizes?

Albert

Guest ladyjane

Albert, I think most people are delighted to win any prize. Last year at Shanes my whippet dog won best in hound group and Best in Show at the KC event run by the gundog club. I got 20 pounds for winning the group and for best in show we won a travel crate and cover supplied by Brian and Joan lyons. I still use the crate and I spent the money on a book! A few years ago I won the all ireland racing and got 50 pounds, have no idea where it went lol! It's up to each individual but I would prefer something I can keep, but that's just me!

Albert, I think most people are delighted to win any prize. Last year at Shanes my whippet dog won best in hound group and Best in Show at the KC event run by the gundog club. I got 20 pounds for winning the group and for best in show we won a travel crate and cover supplied by Brian and Joan lyons. I still use the crate and I spent the money on a book! A few years ago I won the all ireland racing and got 50 pounds, have no idea where it went lol! It's up to each individual but I would prefer something I can keep, but that's just me!

Janet,

Thanks for your response. I hope to have a mix of cash and prizes for this years's events.

Albert

• Like 1

the mourne will have under21,under23 and over 23,straight racing,i will have measuring sticks there on the day,im sure if they dont argue about this theyll find something else :laugh:

tango your straight racing measurements :hmm: would these be for lurchers? or U21=whippets, U23=greyxwhip and over23=greys?

Y.I.S Leeview

leeview, i cant prove or disprove the breeding of any racing dog at the show,i can have my own opinions but as a show organizer i have to do the best i can to suit everyone so all dogs racing will be put in their height class and raced,we will see how this works this year and if i can see where to make it better then i will.yis tango

leeview, i cant prove or disprove the breeding of any racing dog at the show,i can have my own opinions but as a show organizer i have to do the best i can to suit everyone so all dogs racing will be put in their height class and raced,we will see how this works this year and if i can see where to make it better then i will.yis tango

Fair play to you tango :yes: so basically your having to rely on the competitors honesty :whistling:

Y.I.S Leeview

Here's a no brainer, over the course of the year:-

Under 21" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Under 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Over 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood or possibly an umarked greyhound :tongue2:

In other words anyone who wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs to keep an eye on the K9 non ped section to see whats being bred :blink:

• Like 2

Here's a no brainer, over the course of the year:-

Under 21" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Under 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood

Over 23" will be won by a non ped with greyhound blood or possibly an umarked greyhound :tongue2:

In other words anyone who wants to compete at the lurcher racing needs to keep an eye on the K9 non ped section to see whats being bred :blink:

daz can i ask what your goin to race this year mate
  • Like 1