223 reloading

Mine is a remington 700,fairly heavy barrel, I have just measured it with the cleaning rod and brush, and its come out at one twist in 14.5 inch very slow twist rate,so might try some very light fast rounds to see what they are like,

atb

darren

ps try the [one book one caliber] book from midway.cu.uk its the complete reloading manual for .223 you can get it in any caliber mind, I have a few,really good book and not too expensive neither every load for 223 you could want

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi richmcgin. A little on Amax versus Vmax. Amax being designated a target bullet, Vmax being designated an expanding bullet. It is my understanding from speaking to some friends across the pond that

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

27.5 Grains of Rel 15 with 52 grain Amax. This is as good (read destructive) as the 50 and 55 grain Vmax without the drama involved in getting Vmax delivered in the post.

Varget is very good as well, especially when you have large temperature swings. I cant remember the exact load but will dig it out if required.

Hi richmcgin. A little on Amax versus Vmax. Amax being designated a target bullet, Vmax being designated an expanding bullet. It is my understanding from speaking to some friends across the pond that these two bullets are in fact one and the same, although in different weights. They are, allegedly made from the same jacket, core and tip material and even the same thickness of jacket. Due to my location, getting Vmax involves a long trip (up to eight hours) to the nearest RDF so did a little research followed by some practical shooting tests.

The test involved filling a saline drip bag with ballistic gelatine and hanging this at a set distance from a large paper witness screen. The distances being one, two and five metres and the purpose was to identify the size and energy of the bullet fragments after primary impact. The saline bag was chosen because the material behaves in a similar fashion to skin. Shots were fired from 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300m to give some indication of behaviour as the bullet shed velocity.

Results were very interesting. At all ranges the Amax had terminal effects similar to the Vmax. Very few fragments punctured the paper two metres behind the targets, none the paper at five, but in all cases the targets themselves exploded.

My conclusion was that I could not differentiate between the two by terminal effects , therefore they are, as far as I am concerned the same. However, unlike Vmax I can have any quantity of Amax delivered by post.

• Like 1

This little book has every load for 223 taken from all the load manufacturers,and the powder companies, A Max, V Max, Hornady, siera,lapua,all bullet weight combinations too, the lot mate with the powder companies, as many combinations as you could want,the trouble is it makes you want to try them all, the books only about £10, well worth it to ring them up, it is there but there site I think is not the best, to negotiate I spent two days trying to find a OAL gauge, got one from border barrels in the end,

.338LM is right mate Amax is a very good bullet, I have used them alot,they are like a cheaper version of the nozla round well worth a look,but I settled on the speer hollow point as these seemed to suit the gun,and I needed a round that left everything in the animal if possible, I got a tighter group with them and when used on fox are quite impressive,tell you what though, take note what your local suppliers have in stock and get the most common of the two,

best of luck

darren

Never done a proper test of them,regards deforming,I had them recomended to me,so I used them in my 222 and they did the job extremely well, suited the gun and gave good groups,certainly dropped foxes well very reliable,but didnt seem to group that well in my 223, it could have been my shooting/or loading saying that the 52 grn stuff I am using now is spot on, cant see a reason to change,I might try some very light 45 grain stuff in summer to see if it matches the gun, with it having a slow twist I have some long range rabbit sniping to do on a piece of land I have, and will try them then if I get a still day,

any idea how long the 52g are, the nosler 50g bt is too long for a 1:12 twist they dont stabilize very well but anything smaller should be ok. i seem to think the nosler is 0.40 but iam not sure off hand, and the Hornady web site doesnt give the length for either A or V-max.

A note on their performance on live quarry. I will use nothing else when I am dealing with seals around the fish pens. A huge concern is shoot through or ricochets and the A/V max minimises that. As all shots are head shots (my preferred shot on most game) the destructive terminal ballistics ensure that large areas of the brain pan are emptied, result instant death without the problem of shoot through. Further, a miss results in a very large splash, no matter the angle and no ricochets.