Does any one know of a Taxidermy course?.

• 5 weeks later...

Next UK Taxidermy Training Courses Course Skill Level All Active Course Dates Period Price Places Available (4 Max) Bird Beginner Friday 30th March to Sunday 1st April 2012 3 Days £500 FULL Mammal Beginner Friday 11th May to Sunday 13th May 2012 3 Days £500 FULL Bird Beginner Friday 22nd June to Sunday 24th June 2012 3 Days £500 FULL Beginner Please fill in the application form and we will let you know of future dates 3 Days £500 4 (NEW) Intermediate to Advanced Dates to be arranged mutually once I have sufficient interest - please fill in the form below if of interest 2 Days £280

This page is is updated regularly, so please check this page for cancellations and available places.

Coming Soon

Taxidermy Small Mammal Training Book

tsxidermy-training-book-mammal.jpg

Three Day Beginner Taxidermy Course including your mounted item.

Mike has taught a good number of successful taxidermists and does a few taxidermy training courses each year.

Mike is well known as a competition judge and for his ability as a taxidermist and sculptor. As you will see from this web site, Mike has a wealth of knowledge to offer that will be of tremendous benefit.

Selection of Photos from the Beginners Courses tc3_small.jpg

click to enlarge mar04_1_s.jpg tc5_small.jpg

click to enlarge oct03_s.jpg

click to enlarge Students making mannequins and anatomy lessons Worried students with beraggled jays ! Final assembly details tc6_small.jpg

click to enlarge Mar04_2_s.jpg Absolute beginners to having produced a very respectable first bird/mammal - Well Done !

Bird or Small Mammal beginner Taxidermy 3 Day Weekend Course

Three Day BEGINNER Course priced as above including your mounted item on a base, log book sheet, taxidermy suppliers' names and addresses.

There are considerable differences between bird and mammal, hence the two beginner courses, but the core principles are similar. Quite a few people have either started on the bird and been back to do the mammal or started on the mammal and been back to do the bird and they have all found that even the similar sections helped to reiterate what they had learnt.

[/url]Three Day Beginner Course Structure

• Beginner Taxidermy Training Course for those without any or with little experience
  • High quality training in my village studio in Boston Spa West Yorkshire
  • Items used will be jay or jackdaw for birds and grey squirrels for mammals as these give the best learning curve for beginners
  • Taxidermy & the Law learn all you need to know (inc log sheet)
  • Anatomy lesson clear learning through practical model building
  • Use of measurements learn how to control all the most common mistakes
  • Skinning, Degreasing you will be shown all the necessary short cuts stage by stage
  • Washing & Drying learn Mike's techniques over 20 years of perfecting
  • Making a Mannequin traditional bind up method is used (the most flexible) modern carving casting methods shown.
  • Assembly stage by stage assembly giving the greatest control and simplicity and a procedure to help produce good results across all animals.
  • Most important of all Modeling this most complex area covered in great detail
  • Max 4 people with similar stage of achievement to make sure you get full attention and help.
  • What do I need to bring? All materials provided, all you need to bring is a Note book, and camera if you wish, (but no sound or video recorder).
  • You take home your finished piece look at the photos above; that could be you.
  • Refreshments provided including light lunch for each day of the course
  • Start 9.00 am to 4.30-5pm flexible to how we are doing
  • Finishing techniques including decoration of bases

Accommodation can be arranged in the village within walking distance to studio

Three Day Course including your mounted item on a base, log book sheet, taxidermy suppliers' names and addresses.

Application form

Please feel free to ring and ask any questions about the Courses

Mike Gadd at Hollydean Cottage, Padmans Lane, Boston Spa, West Yorkshire LS23 6BR, UK

Tel 01937 844580

Comments from past students:

"I wish to thank you for a great experience of knowledge that has come my way through attending your taxidermy course; invaluable information that will lay the foundation for me in the future. I really had a wonderful time with you and the class and this was only made possible by you. You are a great teacher and I was privileged to be there."

C. Hackett

"I had a wonderful time on Mike's course. I arrived to research a book, and left a complete convert. It's a fascinating process, and I can't imagine a better guide to it than Mike. For weeks after, all I could think about was how you get stuffed stuff stuffed."

Sam Leith - his book, Dead Pets (ISBN 1 84195 648 1), has an interesting chapter on what you might expect from the course.

Application form

Intermediate to Advanced Bird Course (NEW)

Designed for those who have completed the beginner Bird Taxidermy course (or are struggling to advance their work)

Quite a few students are now at the stage of being able to get to grips with the assembly and produce an item but need to move the quality of their work forward.

The (Two Days) Weekend Course Outline is:

• You bring a skinned, fleshed, washed bird and manakin you have made (medium size bird your choce as you will be taking it back home)
  • You bring some past work (optional but advisable) for professional critique - this is a crutial part of learning and all comments are directed at how to improve.
  • You also bring a log or rock etc for your bird
  • There will be a maximum of four students
  • Lunch and refreshments will be provided

If this sounds of interest, please fill in the form and I will contact you regarding dates and pricing.

ACCOMMODATION

BOSTON SPA

The Lodge 126a High Street Boston Spa LS23 6BW

Tel: 01937 844976 Mob: 07802 636900

The Lodge B&B Boston Spa

Entrance to the B&B is on the start of Padmans Lane, so its only a 100 yard walk to the studio. Please mention my name and that you're coming on the course when booking.

Four Gables Bed & Breakfast Oaks Lane Boston Spa LS23 6DS

Tel 01937 845592; www.fourgables.co.uk

5 mins walk from village centre and the studio.

CROWN HOTEL 128 High Street Boston Spa LS23 6BW

Tel 01937 842006; www.bostonspacrown.co.uk

Its a pub in the village but NOTE reviews of late have not been great

WETHERBY (3 miles from Boston Spa)

Ramada Jarvis Leeds Road Wetherby LS22 5HE

Tel 01937 583881; www.jarvis.co.uk/hotels/locations/wetherby

Swan & Talbot 34 North Street Wetherby LS22 6NN

Tel 01937 582040; www.swanandtalbot.co.uk

Swan Guest House 38 North Street Wetherby LS22 6NN

Tel 01937 582381

DAYS INN WETHERBY Junction 46, A1 M Kirk Deighton Wetherby LS22 5GT

Tel 01937 7547557; www.daysinn.com

Motorway services

Maustin Caravan Park Kearby Nr Wetherby LS22 4DA

Tel 0113 2886234; www.maustin.co.uk

Caravan and camp site

TADCASTER (4 miles from Boston Spa)

The Calcaria 2 Westgate Tadcaster LS24 9JB; tel 01937 835695

Oakleigh Guest House 28 Wetherby Road Tadcaster LS24 9JN; tel 01937 833344

Shann House Hotel 47 Kirkgate Tadcaster LS24 9AQ; tel 01937 833931

WIGHILL MANOR CARAVAN SITE Manor House Farm Wighill Tadcaster North Yorkshire LS24 8BT

Tel 01937 833688; www.wighillcaravansite.co.uk

Caravans only

WHIXLEY (7 miles from Boston Spa)

WHIXLEY LODGE FARM Whixley Lodge Clockhill Field Lane YO26 8EE

Tel: 07719 830020 / 07783 796892

www.whixleylodgefarmcampsite.web.officelive.com

Camp site

<a href="http://www.taxidermy.co.uk/machform/view.php?id=4" title="Taxidermy Course Registration">Taxidermy Course Registration</a>{C}

Page Top