.22lr accuracy - paper punching testing

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

post-10759-0-67357000-1327652633.jpg

your shite you missed that coin by loads :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What you don't realise is it was this coin!! :laugh:

post-30149-0-46982500-1327669615.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling:

Just get out there and do it, instead of working out what changes in temp etc, do to the trajectory when paper punching.   It might be more important if you were talking about many hundreds of yards

To be honest I see more than a little justification for that.   It seems that riflehunter583 is heading down the path of many a target shooter, looking at as many options as possible and analysing e

Posted Images

Even with a dedicated target rifle, no wind, a wheel barrow of ammunition (target or eley subs) I reccon i could spend an entire weekend lobbing rounds 180 yards and not get a sub 2" group. As for shooting at rabbits / crow etc - be them 'pesky critters' or not I don't think its a good idea at those ranges.

I'm also inclined to add my two-pence worth on CCI Velocitors - absolute unreliable crap imo.

Having said that fair play for doing some research.

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

i'm liking this group at 100 yards lads. me gotta get a hmr now!!!!!!!!!!

That was a good day, I'd be over the moon if that happened every time I grabbed the HMR, but it is a world better than a .22lr at 100 yards! :thumbs:

after reading all the comments i think that i have fallen very lucky with the barrel quality and trigger on this gun i have brought. aslo the performace of the eley subs with my gun seem good. i shot my mates bruno .22 a while back and it was as many of you describe a .22lr good for 50 - 80 yards ish. So i conider my gun a lucky buy.

for all the testing my gun has been zeroed at 50 yards for stalking work. but there are 10 half mills down at 10x on my scope and i have a trajectory table in a water proof wallet on the stock in 5 yard intervals. i also have a laser range finder which i have put an led light in side to see the reading day or night. for example 120 yads for me is 3.7 millrads down from centre.

after all the comments good and bad and i do try to consider everyones option as every one has somthing valubale to add no matter what experince they have.

so i come to the concision that i must have a good .22lr and also to get myself a 17 hmr or maybe a .17.as the down range accuracy sounds fantasitc. i have seen on utube a guy head shot a rabbot at 200 yards in some slight wind! and a american guy kill a crow at 300 yards! so the hmr has to be purchased now :thumbs:

not i've done my testing i am on to one shot training. as i work from home so every day have been going out with a cold barrel and take 1 very carful shot at my plastic magpie. today i held a leaf in the wind and there was a 320 degree quartering wind right to left only a few mph. so i took one shot with the .22 and aimed for the magpie giving about 3 minutes right. i aimed for its body and snatched the shot a little and hit it between the eye and beak! that was bipod on my cheap wooden b&q garden table!

if i can do this in different situations and viarying ranges i will see where comfortable i can keeep hitting the little platic critter and what is reasonble for MY setup before i shart bashing the crows!

happy shooting guys :thumbs:

Edited by riflehunter583

feck me far to testicle for me this i preffer just to point and shoot :laugh: feck me by the time youve lazerd it, got the wind gauge out, checked the results on the table, scratched your nutts and what ever else your surpose to do the target has died of old age :laugh:

Paulus you have a good point and well put, but as mr Hooks has ask i feel i must reply, we all know what supersonic is and we know that hypersonic is the next on the scale with the inbetween being covered my Mach, Transonic is the effect of diff air speeds at diff parts of an object between supersonic and hypersonic speeds, to give you more detail than that i would have to look it up and its not that important to me!!!!. the case that Deker puts forward would mean that any bullet going faster than supersonic would become unstable. not sure about why he thinks this would happen after 100yrds.

All that aside Riflehunter only asked if he should be happy with his groups at the start of this thread. didnt ask to be beaten up over, if its possible to get the results he wrote down.

Paulus you have a good point and well put, but as mr Hooks has ask i feel i must reply, we all know what supersonic is and we know that hypersonic is the next on the scale with the inbetween being covered my Mach, Transonic is the effect of diff air speeds at diff parts of an object between supersonic and hypersonic speeds, to give you more detail than that i would have to look it up and its not that important to me!!!!. the case that Deker puts forward would mean that any bullet going faster than supersonic would become unstable. not sure about why he thinks this would happen after 100yrds.

All that aside Riflehunter only asked if he should be happy with his groups at the start of this thread. didnt ask to be beaten up over, if its possible to get the results he wrote down.

Every time you open your mouth you dig a deeper hole.....

What I said was ....Velocitors.....

......they run at 1435 ft sec with 183ft lb at the muzzle and go transonic at just short of 100 yards, therefore stability is debatable.

Transonic is the aerodynamic period at or around the speed of sound, that is between sub sonic and supersonic, where on earth do you get this hypersonic gibberish from, and the reason I said just short of 100 yards is because thats when a Velocitor drops to sub sonic from supersonic in the normal course of events, A Velocitor will NEVER go Hypersonic.

Edited by Deker

So in answer to my question, you know nothing about sub-sonic, transonic and supersonic flow. Hypersonic doesn't exist in any meaningful sense.

Transonic is where some parts of the air flow are supersonic, and other parts are subsonic.

Where the talk of "hypersonic" comes from I don't know.

See the thing is, at subsonic air velocities, air is considered incompressible, whilst at supersonic flow speeds it is compressible. This means that when one part of the bullet is experiencing supersonic flow, and another part is experiencing subsonic (i.e. transonic flow conditions) then there are significant out of balance forces on the bullet which will strongly adversely affect accuracy.

Rich, face it, you are talking out of your backside. "Mach is between them". Eh? Mach is just the proportion of the local speed of sound that an object is moving at. So if it is travelling at the local speed of sound, mach velocity is 1. Transonic region varies depending on the shape of the object between about mach 0.75 and mach 1.25.

Every time you open your mouth you dig a deeper hole.....

What I said was ....Velocitors.....

......they run at 1435 ft sec with 183ft lb at the muzzle and go transonic at just short of 100 yards, therefore stability is debatable.

Transonic is the aerodynamic period at or around the speed of sound, that is between sub sonic and supersonic, where on earth do you get this hypersonic gibberish from, and the reason I said just short of 100 yards is because thats when a Velocitor drops to sub sonic from supersonic in the normal course of events, A Velocitor will NEVER go Hypersonic.

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by thursodog
  • Like 1

That was a good day, I'd be over the moon if that happened every time I grabbed the HMR, but it is a world better than a .22lr at 100 yards! :thumbs:

after you showed me the hmr 3 shot group i wanted to see what my airgun and .22lr would do today as a comparison.

i did groups today. 1 with .22lr and the other with fac airgun. very pleased with the airgun as for an airgun i though that was pritty good.

100yrimm.jpg

100 yards with rimmy. 5 shots. one in the same hole if it weren't for the flyer which is my fault i snatched it it would be just over half inch.

50y.jpg

only had a hand full of ammo for these two as been using it all up on 150 yard practice. it was not the winds fault these look like a string i think the gun outshot me this time as i were wobling a little

100yairgun.jpg

this one was the air gun at 100 yards. most groups were bigger around an inch but this was the best. but most groups had 5-6 shots in them this is 3.

SAM_1107.jpg

nice sunny day. sun eventually went roudn the trees so i could see.