.22lr accuracy - paper punching testing

Finding this one interesting, in my mind there is no doubt that your results are doable in the right conditions. and would say keep doing what you do. dont worry about the nay sayers that sit in these forums every hour of the day they seem to have become very cynical. i do agree that cci volocitiors are a bit wild at times but that all depends on your barrel i have a rifle that is so fussy about its food i nearly changed it.

No it doesn't, Velocitors are 40g HP, they run at 1435 ft sec with 183ft lb at the muzzle and go transonic at just short of 100 yards, therefore stability is debatable.

They are a high speed, heavy HP hunting rounds, designed for small game, they are not a Target round. Whilst every barrel has it's ammo preferences, even the best target barrel is not going to make Velocitors accurate at 120 or 180 yards as mentioned, especially in strong winds, and a field rifle is likely to be worse!

"cci volocitiors are a bit wild"...well you got that right, if you can show me any rifle that will deliver 1.5" groups with Velocitors at 180 yards I will buy you a pint, even though you are probably not old enough to drink it!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling:

Just get out there and do it, instead of working out what changes in temp etc, do to the trajectory when paper punching.   It might be more important if you were talking about many hundreds of yards

To be honest I see more than a little justification for that.   It seems that riflehunter583 is heading down the path of many a target shooter, looking at as many options as possible and analysing e

Posted Images

Hey Deker just read your post on being a team member of 10 years and a coach for 9 years, just want to say i feel rather humbled especially after gibbering about Ricochets in an earlier post.

I had no idea of the experience you had bud.

Atb Chris.

rmac it getting late!!!..........

Edited by thursodog

Finding this one interesting, in my mind there is no doubt that your results are doable in the right conditions. and would say keep doing what you do. dont worry about the nay sayers that sit in these forums every hour of the day they seem to have become very cynical. i do agree that cci volocitiors are a bit wild at times but that all depends on your barrel i have a rifle that is so fussy about its food i nearly changed it.

No it doesn't, Velocitors are 40g HP, they run at 1435 ft sec with 183ft lb at the muzzle and go transonic at just short of 100 yards, therefore stability is debatable.

They are a high speed, heavy HP hunting rounds, designed for small game, they are not a Target round. Whilst every barrel has it's ammo preferences, even the best target barrel is not going to make Velocitors accurate at 120 or 180 yards as mentioned, especially in strong winds, and a field rifle is likely to be worse!

"cci volocitiors are a bit wild"...well you got that right, if you can show me any rifle that will deliver 1.5" groups with Velocitors at 180 yards I will buy you a pint, even though you are probably not old enough to drink it!

no mate i have never shot the velocitors at 180 yards.

in fact i have shot some more the yesterday day and in unpredictable wind they are no good at 120 yards. the eley sub sonics are not to bad in the wind. i am coming to the conclusion that perhaps 1 inch groups with the velocitors further out that say 80 yards is not do able.

in fact i am considering not buying any supersonic rounds for the .22lr.

might just stick to the eley subs for accuracy and low noise, good price and more consistent quality.

in fact i have shot some more the yesterday day and in unpredictable wind they are no good at 120 yards. the eley sub sonics are not to bad in the wind. i am coming to the conclusion that perhaps 1 inch groups with the velocitors further out that say 80 yards is not do able.

might just stick to the eley subs for accuracy and low noise, good price and more consistent quality.

More to do with our new friend I think than any reflection on you, and accuracy wise, then yes, the odds are you will find the subs more accurate, even at longer distances.

Just the same, my view is that field work is NOT target work, and what is possible on a range at given distances after a few sighters is not what field shooting is about!

I am not going to put a distance limit on it , but I would "suggest" 100yards for a .22lr is plenty for most people in the field, if I'm looking for longer shots or bigger quarry then I use my WMR or HMR, or one of my CF's. But just the same, a 40g .22lr sub is still carrying plenty of knock down at 100 yards, commonly 70ft lb or more!

:thumbs:

More to do with our new friend I think than any reflection on you, and accuracy wise, then yes, the odds are you will find the subs more accurate, even at longer distances.

Just the same, my view is that field work is NOT target work, and what is possible on a range at given distances after a few sighters is not what field shooting is about!

I am not going to put a distance limit on it , but I would "suggest" 100yards for a .22lr is plenty for most people in the field, if I'm looking for longer shots or bigger quarry then I use my WMR or HMR, or one of my CF's. But just the same, a 40g .22lr sub is still carrying plenty of knock down at 100 yards, commonly 70ft lb or more!

i'm kinda hoping i can hit some pesky crows with it on the open fields.

this farm i go to has thousands there like locus.

personally i think the 120 yard mark is a good range for the gun. but just between you and me i am wanting to hit a crow a bit further out :thumbs: than that to make sure all this target shooting is nto a waste of my time!! :cray:

personally i think the 120 yard mark is a good range for the gun. but just between you and me i am wanting to hit a crow a bit further out :thumbs: than that to make sure all this target shooting is nto a waste of my time!! :cray:

If you can do it then fine! :thumbs: But I think you have the wrong rifle for your intended use!

If I was after long range crows (120yards +++) I wouldn't even be thinking about a .22lr.

HMR, .17CF or maybe even a .204!

I have a site where I can get down prone, off the bipod, and head shoot a few Canadas at spot on 100 yards with the HMR, I wouldn't even think of trying with a .22lr!

Edited by Deker

If you can do it then fine! :thumbs: But I think you have the wrong rifle for your intended use!

If I was after long range crows (120yards +++) I wouldn't even be thinking about a .22lr.

HMR, .17CF or maybe even a .204!

I have a site where I can get down prone, off the bipod, and head shoot a few Canadas at spot on 100 yards with the HMR, I wouldn't even think of trying with a .22lr!

1. i'll let you know how i get on. it windy up at this farm. its actually called hill top farm! and the eley fall well into the wind. i hit a plastic magpie at 120 yards with the eley subs in a bad wind the other day. as you may know hmr is tough in the wind and i want to reduce my noise as much as i can using subs or the farmers wife comes out and watches me as if she don't want me on the land!

2. my next variation is for a centre fire for foxing or a hmr for extra enjoyment!

3. monies tight at the minute so the gun i got will have to do.

1. i'll let you know how i get on. it windy up at this farm. its actually called hill top farm! and the eley fall well into the wind. i hit a plastic magpie at 120 yards with the eley subs in a bad wind the other day. as you may know hmr is tough in the wind and i want to reduce my noise as much as i can using subs or the farmers wife comes out and watches me as if she don't want me on the land!

2. my next variation is for a centre fire for foxing or a hmr for extra enjoyment!

3. monies tight at the minute so the gun i got will have to do.

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/instruction/428384/Which_rimfire_rifle_is_best_for_me.html

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

post-10759-0-67357000-1327652633.jpg

Edited by Deker

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book. .

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

ive had 2 hmr`s a cz452 and an arnie1517 thumbhole they are a good little calibre but just not for me, the arnie would do grouping simular to yours for 5 rounds then would need cleaning and a round put through it to do the same again, the cz was better as it required less cleaning. i have shot foxs with both although an incident with a dog fox one afternoon put me off ive mentioned it earlier in this thread. my 22lr is zeroed at 75yrd, the majority of my shooting is done at closer ranges than that, but ive found that that distance works best for me and the ground i shoot.

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

your shite you missed that coin by loads :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Normal stuff going on here Deker is talking crap and having ago at anyone who dares to disagree with him, i expect he collected his information on velocitors while hanging out a bedroom window!!!!! yeah right, i saw that programme too !!!!!!!.

You really arn't doing yourself any favours and have already wound up a lot of people here, just what is the agenda of richmcgin and rmac?