.22lr accuracy - paper punching testing

i brought a second hand nearly new browning 52 18.5 inch barrel .22rf some months ago from a dealer for £399.

I brought it becuase i like target shooting and shooting rabbit and long rang crows over big fields.

done quite a bit of shooting target shooting with it trying to find the best subs and best hv rounds for it and ended up with eley subs and cci velocitors.

so £100 quid later in ammo inbetween home life and work i have tested many brands of .22lr ammo for the past month or so.

my questions is: never shot much .22lr before how happy should i be with the results should i be asking more from the gun or is this a good result?

tested winchetser subs / w lazers / eley match / eley hollow point / cci subs / cci stinger / cci velocitor / lapua hollow / federal / rws subs and some others which i cannot recall right now.

because of the way my land is laid out where i have been practicing i have shot at 50 yards 120 yards 180 yards all target shooting to get to know the gun and accuracy before i shart shooting something with a heart beat.

so any from very poor groups ranging from 2-3 even 4 inches at times with the other ammo, my best groups have come out with: 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards with cci vel and eley subs hollow.

1 inch groups with eley hollow point subs at 120 yards.

what looks like 2 inch groups at 120 yards with cci velocitors but on shot 10 rounds, so i think maybe it could be tightened up to 1 inch if i was on form and the wind is low.

180 yards eley subs hollow 1.5 inch groups with the odd string of shots getting just above and inch. intital practice started at 4 inchs but i think that was me and the wind.

barrel cleaning was frequent and all groups were 5 shots off a bipod of course.

so to recap best results:

eley hollow subs: 0.5inch 50 yards (today in strong wind) / 1 inch 120 yards (last week low wind) / 180 yards 1.5 inch groups ( low wind).

cci velocitors: 0.5 inch 50 yards (today with strong wind) 2 inch 120 yards (windy) if i buy some more rounds of the cci velocitors i think it might group at near 1 inch at 120 yards with low wind.

any seasoned shooters out there that have tried to get the best from .22lr how happy should i be with the browning 52?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling:

Just get out there and do it, instead of working out what changes in temp etc, do to the trajectory when paper punching.   It might be more important if you were talking about many hundreds of yards

To be honest I see more than a little justification for that.   It seems that riflehunter583 is heading down the path of many a target shooter, looking at as many options as possible and analysing e

Posted Images

The LR isn't usually used for shooting quarry past about 100 yards, because . Those groups sound creditable. You're lucky that your rifle groups HV rounds well, they can be quite unpredictable due to them passing through the transonic region during their flight, with resultant unpredictable behavior.

If you are absolutely happy with the trajectory then you should, on the basis of those groups, happily take small quarry such as rabbits out to 120 yards. Past that and your retained energy might be getting a little low.

Sounds to me like your doing very well your 180yrd group is outstanding at 1.5, i have actually shot a rabbit at 180yrds but the conditions where perfect and it was the second shot that was with a win subbie. but i would never normaly shoot at anything past 120yrds.

It was good to read that you have taken the time and expense to get to know your rifle too many dont. i would commend you for this and wish you happy hunting.

i brought a second hand nearly new browning 52 18.5 inch barrel .22rf some months ago from a dealer for £399.

I brought it becuase i like target shooting and shooting rabbit and long rang crows over big fields.

done quite a bit of shooting target shooting with it trying to find the best subs and best hv rounds for it and ended up with eley subs and cci velocitors.

so £100 quid later in ammo inbetween home life and work i have tested many brands of .22lr ammo for the past month or so.

my questions is: never shot much .22lr before how happy should i be with the results should i be asking more from the gun or is this a good result?

tested winchetser subs / w lazers / eley match / eley hollow point / cci subs / cci stinger / cci velocitor / lapua hollow / federal / rws subs and some others which i cannot recall right now.

because of the way my land is laid out where i have been practicing i have shot at 50 yards 120 yards 180 yards all target shooting to get to know the gun and accuracy before i shart shooting something with a heart beat.

so any from very poor groups ranging from 2-3 even 4 inches at times with the other ammo, my best groups have come out with: 0.5 inch groups at 50 yards with cci vel and eley subs hollow.

1 inch groups with eley hollow point subs at 120 yards.

what looks like 2 inch groups at 120 yards with cci velocitors but on shot 10 rounds, so i think maybe it could be tightened up to 1 inch if i was on form and the wind is low.

180 yards eley subs hollow 1.5 inch groups with the odd string of shots getting just above and inch. intital practice started at 4 inchs but i think that was me and the wind.

barrel cleaning was frequent and all groups were 5 shots off a bipod of course.

so to recap best results:

eley hollow subs: 0.5inch 50 yards (today in strong wind) / 1 inch 120 yards (last week low wind) / 180 yards 1.5 inch groups ( low wind).

cci velocitors: 0.5 inch 50 yards (today with strong wind) 2 inch 120 yards (windy) if i buy some more rounds of the cci velocitors i think it might group at near 1 inch at 120 yards with low wind.

any seasoned shooters out there that have tried to get the best from .22lr how happy should i be with the browning 52?

Sorry chap, there is very little that would convince me that was true, even if I saw it myself I would check my medication!

"2, to posible 1" groups at 120yards, and 1.5" groups at 180 yards with a .22lr.

You are pulling someones plonker, especially if you are suggesting Velocitors can do that!

I just get my beer & take-away & get sat down...cheers lads :diablo::lol:

Yeh, I can see where you are coming from, but here's my rational, I spent 10 years as a .22lr Rifle Team member, over 9 years as coach of that team, I have also shot at Bisley for many many years, there is no doubt that these groups are possible, under the right conditions, with the right rifle and ammo and with the right shooter, but .......................

Last time I looked the Browning 52 wasn't a target rifle and Velocitors are a joke accuracy wise, then we add in strong winds as mentioned in part of the post above, but still 0.5" groups at 50 yards with them and a 10 shot 2" group at 120yards in Strong winds!

Then he tells us he likes target and long range shooting and then asks us if these are good results, so he obviously has NO experience, or he would know they are excellent results.

Sorry, I remain unconvinced.

EDIT

It could be of course he is just getting yards and feet mixed up, or has short legs when he paced out the distance. :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by Deker

Yeh, I can see where you are coming from, but here's my rational, I spent 10 years as a .22lr Rifle Team member, over 9 years as coach of that team, I have also shot at Bisley for many many years, there is no doubt that these groups are possible, under the right conditions, with the right rifle and ammo and with the right shooter, but .......................

Last time I looked the Browning 52 wasn't a target rifle and Velocitors are a joke accuracy wise, then we add in strong winds as mentioned in part of the post above, but still 0.5" groups at 50 yards with them and a 10 shot 2" group at 120yards in Strong winds!

Then he tells us he likes target and long range shooting and then asks us if these are good results, so he obviously has NO experience, or he would know they are excellent results.

EDIT

It could be of course he is just getting yards and feet mixed up, or has short legs when he paced out the distance. :hmm: :hmm:

laser range finder lad! :boogy:

i will take it that the results are good then considering most think i'm telling porkies! :boogy:

i was actually not sure as some hmr shooters and centre fire shooters are getting sub inch groups at these distances and further. one i've seen 1 inch groups at 300 yards with a 223 so wondered if i should be getting near that with a rimfire.

i'm not saying all my groups are this good as i explained. just the best groups with this ammo. some goups are like shot gun shot.

i am finding that if i'm having an off day, or the wind is unpredicable, or suddenly i get half way through a box of 50 fliers appear and some groups are more like 5-6 inch at 180 with the eley subs.

all i am saying is that these are the best i have found and saking if this is good for a .22lr???? :huh:

Sounds to me like your doing very well your 180yrd group is outstanding at 1.5, i have actually shot a rabbit at 180yrds but the conditions where perfect and it was the second shot that was with a win subbie. but i would never normaly shoot at anything past 120yrds.

It was good to read that you have taken the time and expense to get to know your rifle too many dont. i would commend you for this and wish you happy hunting.

thanks mate

180 yard rabbit is a great shot especially when the adrenaline is going. i find it harder to shoot accuratly a living quarry than target shooting.

Some fantastic groups there! What Scope are you using out to 180yds?

strangly the 180 yard grouping was with a cheap 4-12*50 pan ev hawke scope. then i tried a hawke sidewinder 6-24*56 which was set at 20 x for the 120 yard testing. should have been the other way round but the scope did not come until last week. 180 was done 3 weeks ago.

i find the smaller cheaper scope fits in the gun cabinet better and when carrying is less clumbersome.

the sidewinder is heavier and the turrets stick out alot. i would say its more a target scope so put it back on my airgun.

the smaller scope is better for night shooting with dsa and is enough set at 10x just.

the rimmy looks sexy with the little scope on which winds my girlfreind up!

EDIT

i have not tried the tennex before but tried the eley match, and they grouped the same as the eley hollow subs.

the gun dealer told me its not worth putting tennex through the browning 52 as i need a long barrel heavey target gun.

results sound impressive....me i dont often take a shot longer than 80 yds on quarry and i practice taking 2p pieces end on off blutak on a plank at 75 yds...i don't miss many but i do like to play lol

i use remmy subs or cci /blazer

Edited by BI9JOHNNY

Finding this one interesting, in my mind there is no doubt that your results are doable in the right conditions. and would say keep doing what you do. dont worry about the nay sayers that sit in these forums every hour of the day they seem to have become very cynical. i do agree that cci volocitiors are a bit wild at times but that all depends on your barrel i have a rifle that is so fussy about its food i nearly changed it.