.22lr accuracy - paper punching testing

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

post-10759-0-67357000-1327652633.jpg

i'm liking this group at 100 yards lads. me gotta get a hmr now!!!!!!!!!!

That was a good day, I'd be over the moon if that happened every time I grabbed the HMR, but it is a world better than a .22lr at 100 yards! :thumbs:

after you showed me the hmr 3 shot group i wanted to see what my airgun and .22lr would do today as a comparison.

i did groups today. 1 with .22lr and the other with fac airgun. very pleased with the airgun as for an airgun i though that was pritty good.

100yrimm.jpg

100 yards with rimmy. 5 shots. one in the same hole if it weren't for the flyer which is my fault i snatched it it would be just over half inch.

50y.jpg

only had a hand full of ammo for these two as been using it all up on 150 yard practice. it was not the winds fault these look like a string i think the gun outshot me this time as i were wobling a little

100yairgun.jpg

this one was the air gun at 100 yards. most groups were bigger around an inch but this was the best. but most groups had 5-6 shots in them this is 3.

SAM_1107.jpg

nice sunny day. sun eventually went roudn the trees so i could see.

Have you thought about the Olympics?

I see American Eagle, Eley and CCI, I take it the AE are the 5022?, they are about the best "distance" solids I have used.

Cough Cough ....some credit please, the HMR was 4 shots :D :D

Edited by Deker

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling:

Just get out there and do it, instead of working out what changes in temp etc, do to the trajectory when paper punching.   It might be more important if you were talking about many hundreds of yards

To be honest I see more than a little justification for that.   It seems that riflehunter583 is heading down the path of many a target shooter, looking at as many options as possible and analysing e

Posted Images

now i know im a shite shot :cray: 26 years of ownership of a 22lr and i can still only consistantly shoot out to 80/90yrds :laugh: oh well it is an olympic year :laugh: :laugh:

My .22lr is zeroed for 60 yards and is a dedicated sub sonic tool, it is very rare I would go out to 80-90 yards with it, shooting well at those distances with one is good going in my book.

100 yards with a HMR is a different matter, that's why I don't use the .22lr at distance generally, this is about the best I have done with the HMR, it was a zeroing session, and I bottled out of the 5th shot! 3 and 4 were only a tiny fraction off being in the same hole!

post-10759-0-67357000-1327652633.jpg

i'm liking this group at 100 yards lads. me gotta get a hmr now!!!!!!!!!!

That was a good day, I'd be over the moon if that happened every time I grabbed the HMR, but it is a world better than a .22lr at 100 yards! :thumbs:

after you showed me the hmr 3 shot group i wanted to see what my airgun and .22lr would do today as a comparison.

i did groups today. 1 with .22lr and the other with fac airgun. very pleased with the airgun as for an airgun i though that was pritty good.

100yrimm.jpg

100 yards with rimmy. 5 shots. one in the same hole if it weren't for the flyer which is my fault i snatched it it would be just over half inch.

50y.jpg

only had a hand full of ammo for these two as been using it all up on 150 yard practice. it was not the winds fault these look like a string i think the gun outshot me this time as i were wobling a little

100yairgun.jpg

this one was the air gun at 100 yards. most groups were bigger around an inch but this was the best. but most groups had 5-6 shots in them this is 3.

SAM_1107.jpg

nice sunny day. sun eventually went roudn the trees so i could see.

Have you thought about the Olympics?

I see American Eagle, Eley and CCI, I take it the AE are the 5022?, they are about the best "distance" solids I have used.

Cough Cough ....some credit please, the HMR was 4 shots :D :D

i have never competed in any shoot evenes other than when the army cadets put me in there shooting team when i was about 13. would note even know where to shart. and ive only practices at bipod shooting.

yea the AE are not bad accuracy considering they go transconic. the dealer had a load and she said i could have them for £2.5 per box of 40 but they are no where neasr as good as the eley.

oh yes 4 shots not 3 very good well done mate.

just been watching a u tube add where a nz guy takes out 3 magpies at 225 yards with a hmr. with 6 shots. to be fair i have been to australia many times and if the nz magpies are anything like the auzy ones they are masive and about the size of a uk rabbit! but to shoot them all in one sitting is good going!

been looking at the .17 and 204 and the 204 run at over 4000fps CRAZY!

i have never competed in any shoot evenes other than when the army cadets put me in there shooting team when i was about 13. would note even know where to shart. and ive only practices at bipod shooting.

yea the AE Are they the AE 5022? are not bad accuracy considering they go transconic. the dealer had a load and she said i could have them for £2.5 per box of 40 ?? Can't remember AE5022 in 40's but they are no where neasr as good as the eley. oh yes 4 shots not 3 very good well done mate.

just been watching a u tube add where a nz guy takes out 3 magpies at 225 yards with a hmr. with 6 shots. to be fair i have been to australia many times and if the nz magpies are anything like the auzy ones they are masive and about the size of a uk rabbit! but to shoot them all in one sitting is good going!

been looking at the .17 and 204 and the 204 run at over 4000fps CRAZY!

Paulus you have a good point and well put, but as mr Hooks has ask i feel i must reply, we all know what supersonic is and we know that hypersonic is the next on the scale with the inbetween being covered my Mach, Transonic is the effect of diff air speeds at diff parts of an object between supersonic and hypersonic speeds, to give you more detail than that i would have to look it up and its not that important to me!!!!. the case that Deker puts forward would mean that any bullet going faster than supersonic would become unstable. not sure about why he thinks this would happen after 100yrds.

All that aside Riflehunter only asked if he should be happy with his groups at the start of this thread. didnt ask to be beaten up over, if its possible to get the results he wrote down.

Every time you open your mouth you dig a deeper hole.....

What I said was ....Velocitors.....

......they run at 1435 ft sec with 183ft lb at the muzzle and go transonic at just short of 100 yards, therefore stability is debatable.

Transonic is the aerodynamic period at or around the speed of sound, that is between sub sonic and supersonic, where on earth do you get this hypersonic gibberish from, and the reason I said just short of 100 yards is because thats when a Velocitor drops to sub sonic from supersonic in the normal course of events, A Velocitor will NEVER go Hypersonic.

Maybe if we all ignore him he'll disappear up his own arse again. :whistling: :whistling:

this is fun its like being heckled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

thought i may just look it up for you Deker so have pasted it below.

"transonic speed refers to the condition of flight in which a range of velocities of airflow exist surrounding and flowing past"

Please not the key words "RANGE OF".

...and that range is the subsonic/sonic period.

transonic definition: adjective designating, of, or moving at a speed within the range of change from subsonic to supersonic speed...

:bye: :bye: :bye:

Edited by Deker

I wonder what sort of life these barrels have with bullets passing through at 4000 fps.

Thats an interesting one, but probably not as bad as many may think, how often does the opportunity arise to head shoot a crow at 400 yards :laugh: :laugh: ? So as long as you don't get into any rapid fire contests, and keep them clean probably not too bad!

These are not your daily, run of the mill bunny bashing tools! :no:

As the gentlemen said Transonic is either side of 1129 fps.

.8 below and 1.2 above supersonic is the range of speed defined as transonic.

Mcgoo your throwing stones in a glass house as usual and its getting very tiring, i really wish you'd just leave or have a word with yourself.

Your not doing yourself any favours.

I wonder what sort of life these barrels have with bullets passing through at 4000 fps.

Thats an interesting one, but probably not as bad as many may think, how often does the opportunity arise to head shoot a crow at 400 yards :laugh: :laugh: ? So as long as you don't get into any rapid fire contests, and keep them clean probably not too bad!

For sure,

I'd love to get my hands on the 17 and see how it fared on targets, flat as a pancake al bet.

Could be a cost effective foxing tool?

I'm digressing though.

Edited by thursodog

For sure,

I'd love to get my hands on the 17 and see how it fared on targets, flat as a pancake al bet.

Could be a cost effective foxing tool?

I've never owned a .17CF or a .204, but I do have first hand experience with the .204.

They have their uses, all calibres do, but "personally" I see them as relatively limited.

:thumbs: :thumbs: