Few digs and a few errors.

Took a trip down to Wales with a couple of mates from Liverpool, was a lovely frosty and foggy morning and was just nice to be up an about when most folk still sleeping in their beds. First place we went to was several holes at the top of a steep banking adjacent to the farmers field let my black bitch take a look and she wasnt interested and to be honest she had been acting quite strange all morning rather cowed and spooked. This is a bitch whose nose I have trusted and has marked and found when more experienced dogs havnt, but for me there was no one home, let the 2 pups we brought take a look just to have a sniff and they was more interested in playing about and annoying the bitch. So for me the place was empty altho their was the occasional whiff of foxy about.

Ray said he wanted to try his old parks bred dog Clay so we tethered up the others and put the collar on him after sniffing at a couple of holes he entered and after a few minutes was whining and yapping, Ray stated that there was someone home and the dog was whining out of frustration trying to push threw the tight tube...Of course I disagreed as Ive seen this dog work before and was convinced the place was empty and so was Tull, who made no bones about the fact he didnt rate the little park bred dog. Time went on and the dog was to ground for about 1hr 30, we located him about 20ft away in the field at about 3 ft deep and after listening for a while and Ray stating the dog was still trying to dig on and Tull stating the dog was a messer we decided to dig to him to see what was what, we opened to him trying to push threw a very tight tube and crying an yappin in frustration. After a few feet of trenching on to help him the tube opened out and he was away again.

I took it upon myself to tidy up a bit and backfilled the trench whilst Ray and Tull arqued the merits of the dog to ground. whilst this was taking place a rather clever and fine looking dog fox crept out of a small hole we hadnt even noticed out in the field and jogged away with his tale held high, whilst tull struggled to untether the lurcher :icon_redface: by the time the dog was slipped the fox was away, much to Tulls embarrasment, and Rays smilin face and demands for an apology regarding Tulls opinions of his little dog.

The dog had been to ground now for about 2 hrs 15 mins and still hadnt showed when a 2nd fox (vixen this time)burst out the same entrance and was given a good run from the lurcher, before it turned and made its way straight for the fence with the big dog hot on its heels just when you thought it was dead it made a sharp turn and seemingly ran straight through the wire sheep fence without breaking a step. The big dog hit the fence right behind it at full tilt before recovering himself and going over the top of it, but by now foxy was away :icon_redface: its a good job the farmer wasnt with us as this would of proved far too much for the poor fella.

We got a mark on the little dog back over near the fence and altho there wasnt a sound he was in that spot for a good while so we decided to dig to him getting a mark on the box at about 3.5ft we where through in no time and found the dog with a tight hold to the brush of a by now very dead dog fox which had pushed itself up tight face first into the stop end. :toast: Ray was very proud of his little dog as he had just proved us doubters and in particularly Tull well and truly wrong, he was to ground over 3 hrs bolted 2 and finished one and altho its it wasnt a deep place it was well spread out and very tight in places.

Its the first time any of us had come across 2 dog foxes and 1 vixen in the same spot, we have often found it the other way round but never like that before. And altho we cant be 100 % certain the sex of the 2 that bolted we where all of the opinion on the looks of them that the 1st was a big healthy dog and the 2nd a smaller vixen.

After the usual round of handshakes, backfilling and leaving the place nice and tidy and letting the pups have a rag on the carcasse, we headed to the pub for lunch.

On another note the bitches behaviour left me baffled especially as I dug to her at 8ft and 4 hrs to ground just a couple of weeks ago. I did notice when I got home that she has just come into season and wonder weather this affected her at all?. Am making no excuses the jury is out on her and I will try her again once her season has past before any final decisions are made.

ps, sorry abouth the sh*te pic was using a dodgy camera phone and it was taken later in the day when the light was failing.

post-36103-0-54291800-1327060141_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

excellent write up enjoyed the no bullshit style bang on mate but an its a big butt weres the fecking fox ? :tongue2::laugh::D:thumbs:

lol...yes your right mate should of got the pic with foxy but with all the shennanigans I never took the pic we got til we was walking the fields back home.

Breaking down can have real effects on a bitches temperment mate .Soon as they finish bleeding its back to normal but that time before is a hormone imbalance just like pmt in women and do i know about that :cray: .Make a note of her season as it will be the same next year and look out for that change in mood .Nice write up mate ,honest and to the point .Your mate was right to mistrust the Parks dog though as i dont rate them either ,lol.

• Like 1