Which is the best ir illuminator.?

Hi all

Going to buy an ir illuminator at the weekend to work alongside my sony camcorder

Iv narrowed it down to 2 or 3 options

Either the very popular N1000

Or the 300ir made by nite-hunter

Or i have seen a yukon ir for sale quite cheap(second hand)

They both cost roughly the same price but the latter of the 2 seems to be fairly new to the market..Or am i just slow :-)

Anyway have any of you lot used both and have an opinion before i purchase 1..??

Thanks in advance..:)

As far as i'm aware the IR300 is not out of stock until another week or so. I use the N1000. I would have had the IR300 to test the other day but the guy who makes them needed it to test onother project/s.

If its air rifle ranges then there is nothing wrong with the N1000 to be honest. I'd swerve the Yukon.

Edited by BooMster

The best IR illuminator is debatable for individuals with different needs or purposes with it.

If it's only going to be used with a camcorder you need more powerful IR illuminators like as you suggest the N1000 or the Nite Hunter 300. In my experience for greatest distance with a camcorder the 300 wins hands down but as Boomster states the N1000 will do all you need for airgun ranges. If you may go down the nv route in the future like an add on etc then at the moment the N1000 would be the best choice as you can get variable power with the N1000ap which works well for close or long range but there is going to be an aftermarket dimmer available for the 300. Pays your money and takes your choice.....

• Like 1

the man who sells the 300 told me it was specifically built to cater for camcorders.i have seen one in action and it produces a square light beam and it does work very well with the camcorder .there is however plans to bring out bigger models.what he also said that you have to be careful with gen 2 and 3 as these brighter beams may damage their tubes.you might be better to wait for these new designs to come out and be reviewed before rushing out to get one.imho.like previously said if you want one for a specific purpose ,like an airgun ,rifle etc , you need to get the one that best suits your purpose.,otherwise you may endup buying more than one.atb,

• 1 month later...

n1000ap but odi-force are good, all depends on what your using it with ,not all illuminators work good on different nv ,but both mentioned work well on sony cams, bigger the mw the less the battery lasts and stronger the beam, some quarry seems to be spooked by this so do your home work , id be looking for an adjustable power if its for air rifle use a 200mw is more than efficent

Hi all

Going to buy an ir illuminator at the weekend to work alongside my sony camcorder

Iv narrowed it down to 2 or 3 options

Either the very popular N1000

Or the 300ir made by nite-hunter

Or i have seen a yukon ir for sale quite cheap(second hand)

They both cost roughly the same price but the latter of the 2 seems to be fairly new to the market..Or am i just slow :-)

Anyway have any of you lot used both and have an opinion before i purchase 1..??

Thanks in advance.. :)

Tried to pm about ir300, box must be full,

cheers Rich