fox with the hmr

my feo says the .17 hmr isn't enough gun for the job. That said, she also told me that the max calibre for muntjac is .223.

Clearly, her knowledge is severely lacking when it comes to rifles.

Nice head shot at 120 yards; good going fella :thumbs:

Well she is correct on the first point,and wrong on the second,I shot a dog fox the other night and it was huge,deffo some big uns about this year thats for sure.

So 240 odd fpe to the cranium isn't enough to do the job on a fox? Curious.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a fox was after my live stock and I had a brick I'd dam well chuck it at it .

From the first post this was always going to develop into a 17HMR isn't up to fox debate.   Some of you guys are VERY blinkered, I have used a .22lr, HMR and WMR on foxes and they have always been t

I went out specifically for a fox in these, and many other pics I have, both were baited to a close, and appropriate, shooting position and the best suited rifle was used for the job, the housing esta

Posted Images

my feo says the .17 hmr isn't enough gun for the job. That said, she also told me that the max calibre for muntjac is .223.

Well she is correct on the first point,and wrong on the second,I shot a dog fox the other night and it was huge,deffo some big uns about this year thats for sure.

i must admit some of the dedicated fox lads do get 223 blind but you head shoot anything with the hmr its going down

• Like 1

i must admit some of the dedicated fox lads do get 223 blind but you head shoot anything with the hmr its going down

I dare say you shoot a fox close enough and in the right place with an air rifle and it would go down but it's not the correct tool for the job, yes the HMR will kill foxes as will the .22 rimmy but they have a risk of wounding if the shot isnt placed correctly and there are better tools suitable for the job.

Before people jump to the HMR's defence with vigour, I would say I own a HMR and consider it a very accurate flat shooting fast round BUT it does have its limitations when compared to a centrefire for foxing.

• Like 1

I dare say you shoot a fox close enough and in the right place with an air rifle and it would go down but it's not the correct tool for the job, yes the HMR will kill foxes as will the .22 rimmy but they have a risk of wounding if the shot isnt placed correctly and there are better tools suitable for the job.

Before people jump to the HMR's defence with vigour, I would say I own a HMR and consider it a very accurate flat shooting fast round BUT it does have its limitations when compared to a centrefire for foxing.

22cf is without doubt the calibre for fox, 17hmr will drop red deer with a head shot but that does`nt justify its use, to little room for error and to high a chance to cause pain and unnecasary suffering :thumbs:

so hand on heart you can tell me you have never had a fox run after being hit with a 223 because i have . it didnt run far mind and was taken with a second shot .

like i said i only head shoot with the hmr as it such a accurate little round anyway :)

so hand on heart you can tell me you have never had a fox run after being hit with a 223 because i have . it didnt run far mind and was taken with a second shot .

like i said i only head shoot with the hmr as it such a accurate little round anyway :)

and what happens when a small blast of wind takes the round off target and it makes a hole through the jaw :hmm: breaking it, rendering the animal unable to eat. yes ive seen foxs run when hit with a 22.250 but the chance is greatly reduced with a 22cf :thumbs: i have also shot a fox at 50yrd with a hmr in the head and its ran off. the round had not expanded, the fox was licking its nuts when i took the shot, it went in through the top of its head out the roof of its mouth through the side of its bottom jaw breaking it and then out. i finished it off with a 410 to the back of the ear, if it wasnt for the dog this animal would have sufferd to the end.

and what happens when a small blast of wind takes the round off target and it makes a hole through the jaw :hmm: breaking it, rendering the animal unable to eat. yes ive seen foxs run when hit with a 22.250 but the chance is greatly reduced with a 22cf :thumbs: i have also shot a fox at 50yrd with a hmr in the head and its ran off. the round had not expanded, the fox was licking its nuts when i took the shot, it went in through the top of its head out the roof of its mouth through the side of its bottom jaw breaking it and then out. i finished it off with a 410 to the back of the ear, if it wasnt for the dog this animal would have sufferd to the end.

More foxes get injured with a shotty, than any .17hmr, but I don't hear many winges and condemnation of using that for fox.

Like chimp, the .17 is great for fox in the right circs and at the right range and in the right conditions.

I'm confident in hitting a pound coin sized target out to say 75 yards and would bet £500 of my own money on that. So up to that range I'd happily head-shoot a fox with my hmr and know it won't twitch, get wounded or run.

I've no doubt that the hummer isn't the ideal tool for the job, that's a .22cf or .243 job for much longer, reliable killing ranges.

• Like 1

that can happen with a 223 aswell , stop picking holes. the fox is dead get over it lol anyway these rounds were hardly going to bounce of its head lol , now you have just put me in the mood for some squeaking with the shotty tonight . bless yer

Fox = .243 = DEAD!

Oh yes indeed,and I would also add shot lots of foxes with the .22 hornet and never yet had one run everyone dropped on the spot,far far better fox tool than the hmr,the problem with hmr is wind a little puff and that tiny bullet is blown way off course,it will be most interesting to see how many hmr boys swap em in now hornady have developed the .17 hornet,3650fps now thats more like it :thumbs:

My FEO Clears HMR for 'Short range Fox' My HMR doesn't disagree LOL, Had 3 in just under 2 weeks and all dropped on the spot sweet as a nut!

How does he define short range? How does that condition affect you shooting? Do you have to carry a range finder/tape measure at all times to ensure that you are within the conditioned range?