fox with the hmr

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a fox was after my live stock and I had a brick I'd dam well chuck it at it .

From the first post this was always going to develop into a 17HMR isn't up to fox debate.   Some of you guys are VERY blinkered, I have used a .22lr, HMR and WMR on foxes and they have always been t

I went out specifically for a fox in these, and many other pics I have, both were baited to a close, and appropriate, shooting position and the best suited rifle was used for the job, the housing esta

Posted Images

Too rmac.

You are the same guy!!!!!!!...............

Wise up min!!!!!!!!!!!............

You've got exacly the same teenage, hormonal and confrontational character trates with no substance whatsoever.

Got loads of old commando comics from my early teens if you want them :laugh::thumbs:

Atb Chris.

If your serious bout that l'll take them! I collect em have been since I was 7, turning 29 in 2 weeks. Make an excellent birthday present :thumbs:. I own 3000 of 4500 issues and just can't get enough of reading them. Got pretty much every issue from 1990 till this very day as well as a few hundred issues from the 60's 70's and 80's.

cheers Callum

Let's face it Rich, and being perfectly frank here, the evidence (circumstantial or coincidental) does point overwhelmingly to you being richmcgin reincarnated.

Hard evidence too, rmac & richmcgin have got exactly the same ip address.. :bye:

yes Duncan and i bet you use 177 for rabbits too lol.

I used .22 for about 10 years and then switched to .177 for the next 10. Literally thousands of bunnies in the field have helped me form my opinions regarding both calibres. :thumbs:

.177 kills better than .22 in 12ftlbs guise,in my opinion,oh and 30 years of shooting experience, :tongue2:

i used to have a nice second hand falcon fn19 air gun when i was a kid. it was over the limited at about 14fpe. i sold it but regretted it alot after. i used it on a few bunnies and it was the best air gun i ever had and i have had a few. it was .177 cal. it nocked rabbits over perfectly. 60 yard heat shot on a rabbit or less y = intsand kill every time if i put it in the right place the rabbits were killed instantly. i never had a runner ever with that gun.

but i have in the past fluffed many shots with .22 at say 30 yards well i say fluffed but perhaps they were lung shots. and rabbits have run.

so if its bellow say 14fpe then .177 is the way to go on bunnyes. as it happens i have a 36fpe .22 airwolf and at higher power levels .22 is better in my opinion.

as for saying there is only one cal for foxes is not right in my opinion.

it depends on alot of things one of whihc is the land.

open arable fields must surly be better with .223 .243

back gardens must be better with .22lr

and somewhere inbetween in the right conditions and in the right hands .17hmr cf.17.

i would say the .17 is for a fox like my .177 air gun was for those rabbits.

no wind + rested shot + accurate gun + good shooter + good ammo + hmr at 80-100 yards = dead fox.

hmr give about 130 fpe at 100 yards which is enough to kill a fox placed correctly.

but the best part about the larger cf such as .243 is that even if you miss the heart and lung by mistake a smaller fox still goes down swiflty.

so there is less room for error with the .17hmr than with .223 .243

in my opinion.

yes Duncan and i bet you use 177 for rabbits too lol.

I used .22 for about 10 years and then switched to .177 for the next 10. Literally thousands of bunnies in the field have helped me form my opinions regarding both calibres. :thumbs:

.177 kills better than .22 in 12ftlbs guise,in my opinion,oh and 30 years of shooting experience, :tongue2:

i used to have a nice second hand falcon fn19 air gun when i was a kid. it was over the limited at about 14fpe. i sold it but regretted it alot after. i used it on a few bunnies and it was the best air gun i ever had and i have had a few. it was .177 cal. it nocked rabbits over perfectly. 60 yard heat shot on a rabbit or less y = intsand kill every time if i put it in the right place the rabbits were killed instantly. i never had a runner ever with that gun.

but i have in the past fluffed many shots with .22 at say 30 yards well i say fluffed but perhaps they were lung shots. and rabbits have run.

so if its bellow say 14fpe then .177 is the way to go on bunnyes. as it happens i have a 36fpe .22 airwolf and at higher power levels .22 is better in my opinion.

as for saying there is only one cal for foxes is not right in my opinion.

it depends on alot of things one of whihc is the land.

open arable fields must surly be better with .223 .243

back gardens must be better with .22lr

and somewhere inbetween in the right conditions and in the right hands .17hmr cf.17.

i would say the .17 is for a fox like my .177 air gun was for those rabbits.

no wind + rested shot + accurate gun + good shooter + good ammo + hmr at 80-100 yards = dead fox.

hmr give about 130 fpe at 100 yards which is enough to kill a fox placed correctly.

but the best part about the larger cf such as .243 is that even if you miss the heart and lung by mistake a smaller fox still goes down swiflty.

so there is less room for error with the .17hmr than with .223 .243

in my opinion.

Yeh, I find my Falcon does have its uses!

post-10759-0-54184900-1327620380_thumb.jpg