fox with the hmr

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If a fox was after my live stock and I had a brick I'd dam well chuck it at it .

From the first post this was always going to develop into a 17HMR isn't up to fox debate.   Some of you guys are VERY blinkered, I have used a .22lr, HMR and WMR on foxes and they have always been t

I went out specifically for a fox in these, and many other pics I have, both were baited to a close, and appropriate, shooting position and the best suited rifle was used for the job, the housing esta

Posted Images

I recon we have all shot fox with what is at hand at the time be it 12G 22LR 17HMR or above, usually with the same result!! Dead fox!!!!!!!!

My point exactly when I used "the foxes getting injured by shot gun arguament"

There seems to be to many armchair hunters that are quick to condem without actually thinking about what they say, and indeed what they have said in the past.

I recon we have all shot fox with what is at hand at the time be it 12G 22LR 17HMR or above, usually with the same result!! Dead fox!!!!!!!!

My point exactly when I used "the foxes getting injured by shot gun arguament"

There seems to be to many armchair hunters that are quick to condem without actually thinking about what they say, and indeed what they have said in the past.

of course many foxs are taken with shotguns/22lr ect normally a chance meeting, however if you are going out to target foxs neither a shotgun or a rimfire would be the best choice, you would use a fox specific calibre. you can dig a hole with a spoon but a spades the propper tool for the job :thumbs:

From the first post this was always going to develop into a 17HMR isn't up to fox debate.

Some of you guys are VERY blinkered, I have used a .22lr, HMR and WMR on foxes and they have always been the right tool at the time, I have also used shotguns and a whole load of CF on foxes and they have been the right tool at the time.

A CF is NOT the right tool for a fox, neither is a shotgun or a rimfire, what is the right tool is the one that any given situation dictates!

:thumbs:

• Like 3

From the first post this was always going to develop into a 17HMR isn't up to fox debate.

Some of you guys are VERY blinkered, I have used a .22lr, HMR and WMR on foxes and they have always been the right tool at the time, I have also used shotguns and a whole load of CF on foxes and they have been the right tool at the time.

A CF is NOT the right tool for a fox, neither is a shotgun or a rimfire, what is the right tool is the one that any given situation dictates!

Bang on with that.

WELCOME BACK DEKER

• Like 1

if it's legal whats the problem? its down to the individual to make the decision regarding conditions and outright kill etc..

i agree, at the end of the day in the right hands all weapons will do the job cleanly. if there is to much wind then don't take the shot why do all these 223 guys get so up tight and stuffy about this subject. game keepers shoot foxes at 25 yards all the time with a shot gun. if there is no wind and the range is around 100 yards the hmr is fine for the job.

its down to the shooters ability and conditions and land.

good shot mate hope you enjoy your fox shooting with your hmr.

I totally agree with the comments above, i also feel that if your going out specifically for fox then take a centrefire.

Chris.

I went out specifically for a fox in these, and many other pics I have, both were baited to a close, and appropriate, shooting position and the best suited rifle was used for the job, the housing estate was a .22lr.....

post-10759-0-34493700-1327226908_thumb.jpg

and the hotel/restaurant/pub lake was a HMR......

post-10759-0-84406000-1327226861_thumb.jpg

A CF was NOT the right rifle!

• Like 3

Watch the .22lr for ricochets.

I'd use traps close to houses.

I'll take that as the jovial comment you intended.

Traps can be time consuming, and therefore expensive, clients commonly want quick results, to try and trap a family of 5 foxes in one garden would be all but impossible, some may be immature but they learn fast, I took the whole family of 5 foxes out in one evening shooting in the garden, actually in about 90 minutes!

You don't get ricochets from a .22lr when you hit a fox in the right place, and as I already said, these jobs were surveyed and baited to appropriate shooting positions, so ricochets were about as likely as my £25,000,000 WIN in the Nigerian lottery!

Whichever way you want to look at it, you do not necessarily need a CF when you go out specifically after the fox!

The fact is I do quite a lot of these close foxes, I have just emailed off the quote for a job I surveyed yesterday, farmyards, stables, barns, gardens, whatever, there are plenty of tools that are more appropriate than a CF in many situations.

:yes: :yes: :thumbs:

ATB!

Edited by Deker