nothing serious just a poll to see what your opinions are

foreshore wildfowling or inland duck , goose shooting   

29 members have voted

1. 1. what do you class as wildfowling and should they be kept as 2 different kinds of shooting

• Wildfowling is pursued on the foreshore below the mean high water mark
    • wildfowling is pursued in land over fresh water ,ponds , lakes , rivers , stubbles etc , etc

i have started this pole just out of curiosity , lets keep it civil so no throwing your dummies out .. also leave a comment if you want ..

regards wag :thumbs:

in my eyes wildfowling is done only on the foreshore, to shoot a goose or duck inland is just shooting i think. i have shot ducks and geese inland and enjoyed it i but wouldnt call it wildfowling. wildfowling to me is looking at tide times wind direction thinking about what you seen or heard and making a decision as to where you think it might be worth going for a look and no shooting inland can compare to making those choices n getting it right out on the foreshore thats wildfowling to me.

wildfowling to me is as said adove with the addition of some river shooting, i wouldn't class the feeding of released duck fowling not sure about decoying on stubble

I personally don't think We need to go down that road Wag, it matters not what we call our own sport. As has been shown on here in the last week we all shoot the same birds in different locations at time. Me......I'm just as happy to shoot a duck or goose on the foreshore as an inland stubble. I do however detect a machismo attitude of those who seek their sport on the foreshore over those who shoot inland........ie covered in mud, few birds came etc.......just my observations.

wildfowling to me is as said adove with the addition of some river shooting, i wouldn't class the feeding of released duck fowling not sure about decoying on stubble

I personally don't think We need to go down that road Wag, it matters not what we call our own sport. As has been shown on here in the last week we all shoot the same birds in different locations at time. Me......I'm just as happy to shoot a duck or goose on the foreshore as an inland stubble. I do however detect a machismo attitude of those who seek their sport on the foreshore over those who shoot inland........ie covered in mud, few birds came etc.......just my observations.

bell like i said this is nothing serious, just a poll to see what peoples thoughts are..... as for not going down that road again is this not a shooting forum ? where people can share ,there shooting trips , ask for advice and discuss and debate things ? and that is all this is

some people have taken it to heart , i do think some people are spineless tho.... they cannot have there say on the open forum and feel they can abuse me through PM ....

this comment i would say is way off the mark......

I do however detect a machismo attitude of those who seek their sport on the foreshore over those who shoot inland........ie covered in mud, few birds came etc.......just my observations.

what these people are saying is what they believe in and have been bought up on ....... wildfowling is not easy out on the foreshore and we do have to work hard to get what we do get ...

there is nothing wrong with inland duck and goose shooting ,

i did find this

Wildfowling is the hunting of ducks and geese in the harsh environment of the tidal marshes and foreshore. The sport is regulated by the 1968 Firearms Act, which controls the possession and use of shotguns, and the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, which prescribes the seasons and circumstances in which wild birds may be hunted. In addition, wildfowlers operate to strict codes of practice issued by the sport's governing body .

Shooting occurs between September and February, and normally takes place at dawn and dusk. Shooting may also be possible at other times in response to tidal conditions. Ducks and geese are a wild and wary quarry, and it requires great skill to outwit them. Often this can only be done when the weather is at its worst, and unlike most other estuary users, wildfowlers eagerly look forward to stormy or cold conditions.

Wag, this is going to turn into a bun fight :laugh: Just to put the record straight you will no doubt confirm that i have NOT sent you any pm,s.......not my style.

As already said what does it matter what we call it, i do understand peoples love of the foreshore and saltings but what i dont see on here is inland shooters 'correcting' shore shooters on what they should call their sport.

We all enjoy what we do and that should be enough.

Regards

Bell

Ok on the twentieth of february if you walk out onto your permission near the resevoir and a skein of greylags come off and fly over you and you shoot one you will lose your SGC for shooting out of season,now 120miles to the east you climb over the sea wall, walk out onto the foreshore and climb into a creek and shoot a greylag you will not lose your SGC,can you see the distinction? wildfowling below the high water mark is legal after inland duck or goose shooting has ceased, no machismo or hard mans sport element about it,the wildfowling greats,BB, Kenzie Thorpe, Able Chapman, Colonel Peter Hawker,J Wentworth Day to name a few did not call inland duck or goose flighting, Wildfowling for a reason,simple it is NOT. Stanley Duncan did not form the Inland flighting association of Great Britain and Ireland did he.

Ok on the twentieth of february if you walk out onto your permission near the resevoir and a skein of greylags come off and fly over you and you shoot one you will lose your SGC for shooting out of season,now 120miles to the east you climb over the sea wall, walk out onto the foreshore and climb into a creek and shoot a greylag you will not lose your SGC,can you see the distinction? wildfowling below the high water mark is legal after inland duck or goose shooting has ceased, no machismo or hard mans sport element about it,the wildfowling greats,BB, Kenzie Thorpe, Able Chapman, Colonel Peter Hawker,J Wentworth Day to name a few did not call inland duck or goose flighting, Wildfowling for a reason,simple it is NOT. Stanley Duncan did not form the Inland flighting association of Great Britain and Ireland did he.

And theres the rub Charlie, you're hanging on the coat tails of these past 'greats' of the wildfowling game. :thumbs:

there is more foreshore shooters on here forsure so what will it prove.mayby you have not got anyland to shoot geese on or maybe you live near the foreshore that might make your mind up for you.i can see this poll been long time before we realise its going no way.

les believe me or believe not , I h ave access to loads of inland duck shooting and I do go but !! If there are ducks and geese down the foreshore guess where I will be at the end of the day you do what you do and we do what we do , this pole was started to see what peoples thoughts are .

now some people have taken it the wrong way..

Wag, this is going to turn into a bun fight :laugh: Just to put the record straight you will no doubt confirm that i have NOT sent you any pm,s.......not my style.

As already said what does it matter what we call it, i do understand peoples love of the foreshore and saltings but what i dont see on here is inland shooters 'correcting' shore shooters on what they should call their sport.

We all enjoy what we do and that should be enough.

Regards

Bell

no bell it is not you who has sent me the hate mail lol , i have my own personal fan club the person who has sent it has not replied on this topic ...

I haven't done it but to me the foreshore bit sounds right...it puts the WILD in wildfowling....

my friends who do it inland on reared ducks and decoyed on ponds don't say "i'm going wildfowling" it's "i'm shooting duck"

so therefore I voted for foreshore :D

And theres the rub Charlie, you're hanging on the coat tails of these past 'greats' of the wildfowling game. :thumbs:

And please do tell me why we should not??? do boxing fans not mention Ali or Frazier ect becouse they are not contempary,do football fans not still bang on about 1966,or motor racing fans still revere the greats from a golden age, I rather think they do,all sports/pastimes have their greats and long may it continue in my humble opinion, the men I mentioned and many like them were wildfowlers,that does not mean they did no inland shooting, of course they did,but that is the distinction,not saying one is better than the other,I certainly enjoy both,but I reiterate shooting geese or ducks inland is not wildfowling in its pure form.PERIOD :thumbs:

I will say it again not one fellow sportsman I have read in this debate has criticised the wonderful sport of inland duck and goose flighting most have either done it or do it alongside wildfowling on the foreshore.

It may sound petty to some but to a young lad starting out reading these posts wanting to learn wildfowling I feel it's important they understand the difference between the two. With wildfowling you are lucky to get a shot never mind a goose or a duck but when you do succeed it's very satisfying to be rewarded for the hard work put in, many a time I've driven a long way to the foreshore and back empty handed but to me personally it's not just about pulling the trigger.

We as fellow sportsmen should not divide the different aspects of the same craft but lets at least recognise the two disciplines wildfowling and inland duck/goose flighting for what they are.

I will say it again not one fellow sportsman I have read in this debate has criticised the wonderful sport of inland duck and goose flighting most have either done it or do it alongside wildfowling on the foreshore.

It may sound petty to some but to a young lad starting out reading these posts wanting to learn wildfowling I feel it's important they understand the difference between the two. With wildfowling you are lucky to get a shot never mind a goose or a duck but when you do succeed it's very satisfying to be rewarded for the hard work put in, many a time I've driven a long way to the foreshore and back empty handed but to me personally it's not just about pulling the trigger.

We as fellow sportsmen should not divide the different aspects of the same craft but lets at least recognise the two disciplines wildfowling and inland duck/goose flighting for what they are.

I am not as articulate to be able to write the above but I do agree with the poster and have voted as such.

And no I havnt sent Wag daft messages, or have I???????? :tongue2:

And it wouldnt make me refuse an invitation (if I had one) from Les G for next season :thumbs: