ratting without night vision

Hi now I am no expert on this subject but this is what I have done,I found a laser that was a nice fit in the fore sight of my origanal mod 36 so removing the inter changeable element and a wrap of insulation tape slid the laser into the foresight tunnel now the pellet hits about 1/2 inch lower than the laser dot at 20 feet but you soon adjust yourself for it and with the use of one of the cree led head lights I am in action. On the baiting issue I would urge caution on this because other critters ie cats could get at the bait and well enough said on that,I have been using this system on my latest ratting permision for the last month or so and it's still working ok for me,hopes this helps a little and I feel sure you may get some better advice before long

ATB Fatlad54.

People have been shooting without NV for ages.NV being a fairly new bit of technology for the average airgunner.However it seems that it is now seen as essential kit for many ratters I meet.

I'm the same with fishing,I've invested over a grand in gear over the last year and if I'm honest it probably wont help me catch more,but it's good to have the set up and stuff you want.

People have been shooting without NV for ages.NV being a fairly new bit of technology for the average airgunner.However it seems that it is now seen as essential kit for many ratters I meet.

I'm the same with fishing,I've invested over a grand in gear over the last year and if I'm honest it probably wont help me catch more,but it's good to have the set up and stuff you want.

so regarding the question is asked? :blink:

so regarding the question is asked? :blink:

Sorry you wanted advice lol

You can hold a lamp of some kind alongside your gun and shoot the rats.

It is easier if the lamp is mounted to the gun and I like an amber filter on,red as a second choice.rats are active critters at night and I haven't done much baiting out as often it's obvious what they are eating and what route they take so it's just a case of flicking the lamp on to see what's about.

Just have a go you'll soon be shooting rats if they are about.If its just a couple of rats using a route only occasionally I don't bother waiting to shoot them as its not worth the effort for the low return so i just stick a fenn trap down and job done.

• Like 1

if the rats are daft [not been shot before] use a regular torch. i'v shot tons of rat's in the pig stys with a scout torch and me webley raider. remember use a loose bait. something the rats cant grab and run off with. you want a sloppy liquid type bait, i use soup or the runny slop dregs out the pig slop bins.

if the rats are daft [not been shot before] use a regular torch. i'v shot tons of rat's in the pig stys with a scout torch and me webley raider. remember use a loose bait. something the rats cant grab and run off with. you want a sloppy liquid type bait, i use soup or the runny slop dregs out the pig slop bins.

Thanks mate...

ATB Gareth

long and the short..

options.

stationary light..

not too strong and long lasting on the batteries, leave one up over food for a week or so untill they think thats the narm.. hey presto no torch on the gun needed.(can even put markers up for distance)

light on the gun..

they'll get used to any light faster if you go more regularly, every night and a wekk is good going.(you'll think there isnt any left after 2 weeks...).

start of white, then switch to coloured filters, red about the best, orange works etc, blues a strange one but funny if its a pulses LED torch lool, they cant walk on it properly.

tesco sell a CREE torch for about a tenner..theyre cheap but very bright, and a 1 inch scope ring fits them ('8' ring). a mag lights plenty bright enough. (but filtered it takes a good 1/4 to nearly 1/2 out of the light on some things.

as with all lights, id they get used to one thing, apart from filters try diferent bulbs, diferent powers of lights from spot lighting to dwindly krypton bulbs in varying sized heads.

the laser..

best as close to the barrel, and barrel tip as pos, on a pcp like daystate harrier or similar where theres a long thin air cylinder under the barrel, place the laser (adjustable laser though..left right up down type) in the groove between the cylinder and barrel, hold it on with a rubber band or two.(electrical tape 2 winds on the laser to stop any scratch's).

to set it up doesnt take any shooting if you know where on your scope the zero distance is, some where between 13 or 14 yards and about 18-19 yards will be best at legal limits.

simply pace out the say 17 yards, drop anything there, a lighter, or whatever, go back the 17 paces, look through your scope and adjust the laser till its there.. hey presto, shooting from the hip with a laser on the rat bonse from about 2 yards to 20...(chair gun sft ware or trial and error it)

if the lazer dots to big or too bright, you'll have wanted to buy a cheap ebay one 5-10 quid, that takes 3 button cells, leave one battery out and spanthe gap with a spring from a pen or something..anything that fits and passes a current.

hey presto.

you can get or make push switch's for the laser and or the light.. or both if you like. (two small holes in the end cap..bit of solder and away you go)

the theory is, walk silently along, silently switch on the lamp, see the rat, switch the red dot on and pop it in the head from the hip.. (set the light so the center beem is at about13-15 yards, laser dot will be in the center, if your closer the dot will apear lower etc..doesnt matter where for shooting but makes it easier for when they get used to that little red dot of death.. sooner it gets on them the better, even better if they never notise it.

plan B..sit there and wait...

(works with NV gog's too...very efectivly.)

ghilliesTop advice mate very comprehensive, I have got one of the scopes with built in laser is this any good? ... i think the torch is my best next one as i could use it for the rabbits as well as for the rats if i get one which is suited to both. But thanks again good solid write up mate. ATB GAZ

i havent used the scope laser method, so sorry.. dont know. (it'll probably be better suited at the 20 yard mark at a gues), worth a try though, set itup and try it out.

a ruff guide for CREE torch's is rufly 100 luminums is 100 yards, you'll see plenty at 60 unfiltered.(200 lim's is a wee better if theres a two settings, full and half) but try and avoid any multi click setting ones, like 1 click is flashing, 2 clicks is on 12 lum's, 3 clicks is 40 lums etc, you'll get really cheesed off clicking through all the time.