heres the story, 2 years ago i was asked by the owner of an estate (2000 acres) to help out with the fox control during the spring and early summer, year 1 produced 60 odd foxes (1st Feb-1st Aug), year 2, 40 odd and this year 20 to date. whilst out checking my wires every morning i think to myself, lot of magpies, might as well set a larson. 80+ 1st year, 40+ last, your'e getting the picture now ar'nt you. having caught a mink or two last back end thought i would start early this year 7 to date. anyway numbnuts now wants me off the estate because i'm "taking over", this from a man who dos'nt set a tunnel trap on the place and calls predator control going out every thursday night with a lamp. 9000 birds go into the pens they don't shoot 40% where do the rest go?

fortunately the owner of the estate has told me to keep going, but i now have to watch my back and jump through hoops to satisfy dickhead.

heres the story, 2 years ago i was asked by the owner of an estate (2000 acres) to help out with the fox control during the spring and early summer, year 1 produced 60 odd foxes (1st Feb-1st Aug), year 2, 40 odd and this year 20 to date. whilst out checking my wires every morning i think to myself, lot of magpies, might as well set a larson. 80+ 1st year, 40+ last, your'e getting the picture now ar'nt you. having caught a mink or two last back end thought i would start early this year 7 to date. anyway numbnuts now wants me off the estate because i'm "taking over", this from a man who dos'nt set a tunnel trap on the place and calls predator control going out every thursday night with a lamp. 9000 birds go into the pens they don't shoot 40% where do the rest go?

fortunately the owner of the estate has told me to keep going, but i now have to watch my back and jump through hoops to satisfy dickhead.

going from the above post mate you seem to be a man of some integrety, well you certanly know how to out smart vermin !!! so why would you judge all keeprs by the actions of one lazy part timer ? :hmm:

keep it real mate ! ;)

if he is shootin 40% he is doing ok.... not even going to get in to your title!! :no: dont tar us all like him mate....

i do know the old gamekeeper shot nearer 50%, and did'nt rear half as many birds, but he had a trap line going from 1st Feb till 1st Sept, and managed to get a lot of wild birds. there are loads of hens about at the moment but they will be picked off as soon as they start to sit. i realise not all gamekeepers are like this, as i said it was something i needed to get off my chest, and probally my title question was a bit strong. but take this as an example, where i had some wires set a month back, i spied one of the old keepers tunnels, dug it out, found an old fenn all rusted up, popped a new one in of mine and caught 3 stoats and a weasel in one week, lifted my wires then, so removed my fenn. that was in a covert about 3 acres in size, i really am wondering what my impact is doing, next to nothing if all those mustelids go unchecked.

40%aint bad. you dont say why he is getting funny with you? maybe if you spoke and asked him what and where he would like you to do might help after all he is paid to do the job maybe he feels your trying to take over maybe he is in secure and has a small willie who knows but dont tar all keepers with the same brush some of use arnt that bad :big_boss:

If I was the Keeper I would be glad someone else was doing the Job for me. I would encourage you to carry on and work with you, leaves me to get on with other things. Can't you establish some sort of raport with him and even get your Traps paid for by the Estate. Maybe why he is a bit miffed. It could be that his resources are short because you are out Trapping, why should the owner buy the Keeper Traps? Could be a situation caused by too low a Wage for the Keeper to be out all Hours. I don't know what the problems there are, but communication goes a long way to sorting things out. He may think you are sly and undermining him, because he doesn't know you that well. There could be any number of things......TALK TO HIM. I hate it when guys can't work together when the destination is the same!

The man is a little ungratefull if you ask me.Or as you say a dickhead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest nfp20

I suppose with keepers jobs going the way that they are and estate owners looking to cut corners all the time he might be worried that your doing it all for nothing and doing so well might jeapordise his job... pest control is one of the bigger parts of the job. Plus some earn a little extra selling off their pest control to other people you might be taking pennies out of his pocket.

All the keepers I know are great, typical lads and bloomin hard workers... Lazy keepers don't last long their shoots dont produce unless they are lucky.