I'm away with work at the minute staying in a lovely part of Wales not far from Denbigh (or something similar to that in Welsh).

Now having been to Wales many time as a kid and staying on a caravan site near Machynlleth, and since then only really going to the North east coast of Wales, I had forgotten what a beautiful place it actually is. Very much my ideal sort of hunting grounds.

There seems to be plenty of woodies and corvids of all descriptions about, looks great for foxes, and it nice to see in the distance at least one well maintained grouse moor. To cap it all there are a couple of lovely looking small rivers down the road, that I bet are jam packed with sweet tasting brownies.

One thing made me laugh though this morning as I was driving along, was that all the signs as many of you know, are written in Welsh and English, with Welsh being the first language. i.e. ARAF with SLOW written underneath it. As I entered one little village it said the name of the village, (which slips my mind now) and then it said "welcomes careful drivers" in English, with the Welsh translation under that.

I wondered if the Welsh see the English as more of a problem on the roads than the Welsh, or if it was just an English man who wrote the sign. :D

It then also reminded me of another sign we saw near Caernarvon a few years ago that gave us all a chuckle. Like many parents I will try and get my kids to talk using full words rather than an abrieviated version of it, not for any snobbery reason, but just so it helps with their spelling etc. The kids had gone through a stage like most kids causing Potatoes "tatters".

How we all laughed when we came passed this farm entrance, and on a bit of old hardboard and in red paint, it said ; "tatus" and underneath it "Potatoes"

I am guessing Tatus is the Welsh for potatoes. (it just begs the question, that if it means potatoes, why the bloody hell dont they call them potatoes :whistling: )

Anyway, I would like to say to all you Welshmen and women out there on thl, what a great landscape, and so far great hospitality. :thumbs:

Its a nice place Denbigh, went through it on the way to nefyn couple of years ago, went to stay with a friend who lives up there.

Were off to pembrokshire on sat for the week, staying on an old farm turned in to holiday lets,

fantastic views and loaded with wildlife, walk stright out of the door and theres miles of fields

to walk the dogs in, so long as the cows are in the top fields, dogs can go loose.

Its a nice place Denbigh, went through it on the way to nefyn couple of years ago, went to stay with a friend who lives up there.

Were off to pembrokshire on sat for the week, staying on an old farm turned in to holiday lets,

fantastic views and loaded with wildlife, walk stright out of the door and theres miles of fields

to walk the dogs in, so long as the cows are in the top fields, dogs can go loose.

What part of gods county are you staying in? :D

One thing made me laugh though this morning as I was driving along, was that all the signs as many of you know, are written in Welsh and English, with Welsh being the first language. i.e. ARAF with SLOW written underneath it. As I entered one little village it said the name of the village, (which slips my mind now) and then it said "welcomes careful drivers" in English, with the Welsh translation under that.

It then also reminded me of another sign we saw near Caernarvon a few years ago that gave us all a chuckle. Like many parents I will try and get my kids to talk using full words rather than an abrieviated version of it, not for any snobbery reason, but just so it helps with their spelling etc. The kids had gone through a stage like most kids causing Potatoes "tatters".

How we all laughed when we came passed this farm entrance, and on a bit of old hardboard and in red paint, it said ; "tatus" and underneath it "Potatoes"

I am guessing Tatus is the Welsh for potates. (it just begs the question, that if it means potatoes, why the bloody hell dont they call them potatoes :whistling: )

I thought it was tatws, but maybe they spell it differently up there. The gogs are a bit weird like that! :laugh:

The signage is a strange one. :yes: In predominantly Welsh speaking areas the Welsh is supposed to come first, but it don't always happen. :no: Maybe they put the English first on that particular sign because there are a lot of non Welsh speaking tourism in the area and it is a safety message. :yes::thumbs:

What part of gods county are you staying in? :D

Haverfordwest.

View from where we are staying

IMG_0442.jpg

• Like 2

We went down to the coast last time we was there - went fresh water west ( got piss wet through) and bosherton think it was called,

Fresh water was nice an quiet at 7 in the morning.

Aye, Bosheston is where the lillyponds are. I'm the other side of the haven.

If you liked Fresh west, you'd love Marloes sands. It's about 10 miles west of haverford down the Dale road. There's a bit of a walk down to the beach but it's worth it. Dale itself is a nice little place with a decent little pub and then there's St Brides bay which is stunning while your down that way. :thumbs:

Thanks will have a look at them whilst were down :thumbs:

st Brides bay looks to be only 30 mins away from where we are.

Yep it was the lilly ponds - lovely place, but so wished we had of gone when the sun wasnt out

to many people were about.

Thanks will have a look at them whilst were down :thumbs:

st Brides bay looks to be only 30 mins away from where we are.

Yep it was the lilly ponds - lovely place, but so wished we had of gone when the sun wasnt out

to many people were about.

Did you go down to St. Govan's chapel while you were down that way?

A few snaps from the local area:

St Brides: (looks better when the tide's in!)

HPIM1248.jpg

stbrides3.jpg

stbrides9.jpg

stbrides8.jpg

View from the Coast path:

picture3.jpg

picture4.jpg

picture5.jpg

..and this is the view from the headland looking out towards Skomer island from the deer park. (never been any deer in it!) It's a truly wild place and one of my favourite views in the whole county. You really get a feeling of just how powerful nature is when you stand there and watch the tide boiling though the sound. It's that powerful you can almost feel it in the rocks you're stood on. Best keep any kids or animals close to hand there though because there are high cliffs.

HPIM1455.jpg

HPIM1460.jpg

All those places are no more than 15 minutes away from Haverfordwest, and there's much more like that down this way. :thumbs:

used to go to wales for weekends when i stayed in london use to visit gardigan bay cant remenber the camp site we stayed but on the banks of the banks of the teiffy sorry dont know how its spelt anyway great place good people and great scenery reminded me of home bonny scotland atb

good pics mal :thumbs:

Cheers mate!

second from bottom pic is a stunner malt!

Cheers! I find it hard to describe how that place makes me feel. :yes: It's one of those places where I stand, look at the view & realise that humans are feck all compared to what nature has to offer. There are only a few other places I can remember feeling the same while stood there. Certain parts of The Scottish Highlands, Timanfiya volcanic park in Lanzarotte & the Preselli hills here in Pembs. :thumbs:

used to go to wales for weekends when i stayed in london use to visit gardigan bay cant remenber the camp site we stayed but on the banks of the banks of the teiffy sorry dont know how its spelt anyway great place good people and great scenery reminded me of home bonny scotland atb

Certain parts of Scotland remind me of Wales too mate, just on a larger scale! :laugh::thumbs: