How was your 2011 deer season

Is the average weight of a Roe 35lbs?!!! Perhaps the ones I have come by have just been 'well fed'.... My dog weighs 50lbs and is shorter and of lighter build than the average Roe round here. Any input from lads that have taken them in numbers?

I must admit I have never weighed one. I just find that figure staggering......

Interesting, are you saying 35 lbs is too low that roes are bigger than this? In trying to understand comparable sizes with our whitetails, do roes run an average of 50 lbs field dressed?

I was hoping that somebody with a bit more experience than me could answer the same question? I think it's worth noteing that I live in Lincolnshire and perhaps as Skycat has said, they are a bit bigger round here? Or perhaps I'm just deluded? Like I said, the few I have come by I have never weighed as they have been for my own freezer but I would have said that I got at least 45lbs of jointed meat off the last doe. I'll weigh the next one....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dont know where these weights are coming from to be honest and i would say theres been a bit of long nose syndrome myself as the roe in the south are said to be the best fed yet they struggle to make

We only do whats needed, as they are a joy to see. Covering a reasonably large acreage, We culed 60+ last year of various breeds due to age or well being of the heards.

From the few I've seen (I admit I don't do roe as there aren't very many in my area) there can be an enormous variation in size: the big does can make a 26" 55lb lurcher look tiny, whilst the smaller

Posted Images

Is the average weight of a Roe 35lbs?!!! Perhaps the ones I have come by have just been 'well fed'.... My dog weighs 50lbs and is shorter and of lighter build than the average Roe round here. Any input from lads that have taken them in numbers?

Most healthy mature Roes will reach 50-75lb ( grolloacked summer wight) the odd one slightly over ,in a good crop area, so add 6lb for the puddings as a whole animal 'tops' Any more than that I'm guessing you have fallow in the area, these will be 75-180lb

:thumbs:

Edited by shootlodge

Interesting, are you saying 35 lbs is too low that roes are bigger than this? In trying to understand comparable sizes with our whitetails, do roes run an average of 50 lbs field dressed?

35lb as an average for me is not to say would be the same elswhere a lot does depend on available food and the value of it, location and to a large degree how much disterbance the beasts will tollerate, also population is a big concideration if not the biggest, on my patch l have had beasts in excess of 50lb clean and as low as 10lb clean go further south and you may well get a higher average wieght with the opposite for beasts in parts further north.

As for roe being in excess of 70lb clean well it is not impossible as wieghts around that have been recorded and quoted in certain puplications,l have done a lot of stalking up and down the country and l personally have never seen such a beast nor has any of my stalking collegues though l am sure they do exist.

• Like 1

35lb as an average for me is not to say would be the same elswhere a lot does depend on available food and the value of it, location and to a large degree how much disterbance the beasts will tollerate, also population is a big concideration if not the biggest, on my patch l have had beasts in excess of 50lb clean and as low as 10lb clean go further south and you may well get a higher average wieght with the opposite for beasts in parts further north.

As for roe being in excess of 70lb clean well it is not impossible as wieghts around that have been recorded and quoted in certain puplications,l have done a lot of stalking up and down the country and l personally have never seen such a beast nor has any of my stalking collegues though l am sure they do exist.

I have shot a few at 68lb clean but its not common i agree quite the opposite and usually a 3-4 year beasts

The average usually is around the 40lb mark with occasional younger animals a lot less never had any down to 10lb though even kids shot are weighing in at 14-16lb most of body weight relates to the type and quality of feed in particular areas.

I have seen situations examples of dwarf deer were exceedingly large numbers have been present and not a large sustainable food in the area and body weight of fully grown animals have been down to below 20lbs on 3-4 year old beasts we had to go in and cull all animals on sight to reduce the numbers ,the following year animals off the ground taken where then again showing normal weights so it proved two things . that management and habitat control had to be used as a tool in maintaining a healthy stock of animals on the ground.

Tests done in the area showwed the lack of soil type 7 which is imperative in the minerals needed for healthy and normal body weights which was a prime cause in creating dwarf roe deer.

• Like 1

I was hoping that somebody with a bit more experience than me could answer the same question? I think it's worth noteing that I live in Lincolnshire and perhaps as Skycat has said, they are a bit bigger round here? Or perhaps I'm just deluded? Like I said, the few I have come by I have never weighed as they have been for my own freezer but I would have said that I got at least 45lbs of jointed meat off the last doe. I'll weigh the next one....

Now that is a good size doe...45 lbs of meat should field dress at about 70-75 lbs.

Dont know where these weights are coming from to be honest and i would say theres been a bit of long nose syndrome myself as the roe in the south are said to be the best fed yet they struggle to make the weights described above .I do my fair share and as everything goes to the dealer i see weights all the time .An average doe would be 35-40 with a few exceptions at 45 with the very odd one at around 50 but very odd that is .The bucks go in at between 38-42 with again the odd exceptions a bit higher .The biggest i ever shot was a perruke at 55 pound clean .These weights are not guessed at but on paper infront of me .Keep it real and leave the fantasy to the lurcher section please .

• Like 2

Dont know where these weights are coming from to be honest and i would say theres been a bit of long nose syndrome myself as the roe in the south are said to be the best fed yet they struggle to make the weights described above .I do my fair share and as everything goes to the dealer i see weights all the time .An average doe would be 35-40 with a few exceptions at 45 with the very odd one at around 50 but very odd that is .The bucks go in at between 38-42 with again the odd exceptions a bit higher .The biggest i ever shot was a perruke at 55 pound clean .These weights are not guessed at but on paper infront of me .Keep it real and leave the fantasy to the lurcher section please .

I was kinda thinking there may be some pinnochios out there with longer noses than they should have. From what I have seen in the pictures on this forum it seems you are more accurate.

Thats what i was asking for mate. I was just surprised at the average weight quoted. Guess I'll never know for sure untill I start weighing the few I get. :thumbs:

Thats what i was asking for mate. I was just surprised at the average weight quoted. Guess I'll never know for sure untill I start weighing the few I get. :thumbs:

Now your talking :thumbs: . The only way to get accurate weights is to do it yourself :toast:

Mudman clean weight were i am from is always as the game dealer takes it torso only. But some leave head and legs on when weighing. but i have never heard of a clean weight described as only removing green graloch 68 lb clean is a big animal and more likely to have been a different species of deer eg fallow sika