greylag hammer call

Hows this i spent 60 quid 3 weeks ago on a duck caller and a goose caller.

Those Yankie wooden jobs.

The insert and reed fell out and got lost in the mud so thats it for the duck caller and a week ago i lost the goose caller.

F*cked off is an understatement.

Not paying that again just incase.

Atb Chris.

hi.. i take it then no1 out there no`s how to use the greylag hammer call either? lol

Only advice i can give is don't just blow air through it like a Christmas kazoo. It's difficult to explain but it needs to be guttural, blow the air from your stomach and say the phrase "toooooowit". This should give you a basic call.

Keep practicing it takes time but you will get there, also have you looked on YouTube?

For example

Seeker

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Lucky old me found my DJ greylag call after 2 weeks, left it on a wall out the road.

Anyway i've been playing around with it, pushed the reed in to try and make it sound more like a pink foot but it keeps locking up.

Does anyone have any advice on how i can tune it to a higher pitch without it locking up?

Cheers Chris.

I think that the 'hammer' calls are one of the most difficult types to master, IIRC they need back pressure. But I have also read that once mastered they are second to none. Did it not come with instructions? Myabe there is something on youtube ?

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't a good sounding Gray call on the market. The old solway calls are about as good as you can get but if you want something that sounds really good you have to make it yourself. The greylag hammer is basicly built on Canada guts with the reed shortened. Makes a good enough gaggle but for high work it will stick! If you can get your hands on 1 of the yellow lohman goose calls with the long tone board you have a good start point for a lag call. You will need a thinner reed and cut it a bit narrower. All the materials are available over the internet. When you do get a good sounding call always remember graylags take very little calling. As far as making a pink call from a lag shortening the reed will raise the pitch. if it keeps sticking you mite need a heavier reed. You may also need to shorted the tone board. Good luck, Keep tinkering and annoyin the family!!