Lamping with hawks

milo

Juat wonderd if any of you lamp you hawks,ive only ever lamped with lurchers but im going to give it a go and try and get a few more bunnies under my hawks belt...its just another option that i want to give a go has i see the more work i can put into my hawk the better he will become and il have a much better hunting companion ha.. :thumbs: ..so i would like to get some advice or tips ..Thanks guys

Juat wonderd if any of you lamp you hawks,ive only ever lamped with lurchers but im going to give it a go and try and get a few more bunnies under my hawks belt...its just another option that i want to give a go has i see the more work i can put into my hawk the better he will become and il have a much better hunting companion ha.. :thumbs: ..so i would like to get some advice or tips ..Thanks guys

"Will K" on here lamps with his Harris's, both his birds are going well on the lamp.

send him a PM or perhaps if he sees this he will get back to you :thumbs:......

i lamp my harris a few nights a week it beats digging ferrets out they take to it like a duck to water get a good variable lamp and tape the bells up for when they hit squatters just as they strike rabbits here the bell and there off they take birds out of trees also good luck

like you all know a good night for me with the lurchers is a windy one with a light bit of drizzle... what conditions would you wait for...and what about the moon,do you still fly them if its up or just like you were lamping with the lurchers..Thanks

like you all know a good night for me with the lurchers is a windy one with a light bit of drizzle... what conditions would you wait for...and what about the moon,do you still fly them if its up or just like you were lamping with the lurchers..Thanks

got to be a bit carefull with the wind not to windy just what your bird will cope with of a day other than that pretty much the same

I lamp my female red she a demon on the lamp good on the big fast bunnys aswell, Mick it's zeiszy didn't know u was on here got another fast 1 the other nite an she hit on that was squatting a good 200 yards away shoney ran over a

Like a loon tried to dive on It it started kickin like mad and she let it go I was gutted. U been getting out wi set an dean

have done it with a harris, made a thing to go on one leg that held one of them starlight glow in the dark fishing thingys :laugh: they take quite well to it but just bear in mind its far more hazzardous than in the daytime :thumbs:

i have just bought two leg lamps for my birds (from westweald falconry.co.uk).

they look the dogs danglies to be fair.

will be getting them out in the dark too from now on (the hawks not the dogs ...........).

I lamp my female red she a demon on the lamp good on the big fast bunnys aswell, Mick it's zeiszy didn't know u was on here got another fast 1 the other nite an she hit on that was squatting a good 200 yards away shoney ran over a

Like a loon tried to dive on It it started kickin like mad and she let it go I was gutted. U been getting out wi set an dean

last time i was out with dean we got 2 partos off the doms just [bANNED TEXT] crimbo hadnt been out over crimbo until night befor last got a moggy hen waiting for this wind to die down a bit be out tomorow its horrible when they grab and get away

Edited by mick1212

"Will K" on here lamps with his Harris's, both his birds are going well on the lamp.

send him a PM or perhaps if he sees this he will get back to you :thumbs:......

Sorry guys, not been on for a week or so! Yes its a great way of getting out with your bird during the week if your tied up at work or even just for the fact that the bunnies are easier to find after dark! As Jasper said, I lamp both my Harris Hawks. My female is a seasoned lamper & took 3 the other night when we went for a drive. The male is just starting out & although his footing skills sometimes let him down he's keen as mustard to take on 70 yrd + slips & had his first two on the lamp the other night. Get yourself a good lamp as this is the key, I use a Clulite CB2 with the battery pack for lamping on foot & a Clulite Lazerlite in the truck if we're driving!

http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/3-clubman-range This has the high low beams, so great for recalls on low beam. (saves carrying a torch as well)

http://clulite.cluson.co.uk/4-spotlights

I too tape up the bells to start with as it does give the bird a bit more advantage. I think its also good that you can get your bird used to coming to the glove in the dark just incase you should get caught out for any reason with your bird stuck up a tree come dusk! Have you started to get your bird coming to the glove after dark yet?

Regards. Will

hi will yes ive been getting my bird comming to me in the dark only a short distance tho,hes straight on the glove,i was looking to get out tonight but it looks highly unlikely now due to yet more bad weather ARRRrrrrr :censored:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i took "rico"out for a nights lamping last night first time ! there was a good few about and i even got 2 squatters but he just didnt want to know... yes is weight was a tad high but he didnt even try to put a good flight on any :hmm: i noticed that he was looking up at trees all the time(which got me worried) hes been doing ok in the day but last night was a total waste of time apart from me trying out my glow sticks and recalling him from a decent distance...next time im dropping him a good bit more than he hunts in the day even,sadly i took no pictures has i was a bit pissed off,the best of the night was a keebab in hereford town :thumbs: and that was a bit shit £7.50 :icon_eek: ...