The X Files (continued).

Manco

... in which the writer is sidetracked from his quest for a one hole group by the impromptu arrival of a dove on a roof gable 45 yards off...

post-56337-0-26112300-1324984268.jpgpost-56337-0-97332800-1324984764.jpgpost-56337-0-28162200-1324984797.jpg

Readers of my occasional posts :bye: may recall that my Whisper X survived being dropped on to a dried up rocky stream bed and has since covered itself in glory on several pest control shoots. About a year ago I put up a post on this forum reviewing the X, so I will refrain from going over the same ground. But suffice it to say that after firing more than 8000 pellets; after fitting three piston seals and three mainsprings, I am still satisfied with the performance of this gun, which I regard as a keeper. Could it be that old springers, cared for, never die – they just get better?

Recently I put some new glass on the X and waited for the strong winds we’ve had over the past few days to subside in order to finish zeroing the rifle. Yesterday was D-Day. My chosen zero range for a non-FAC air rifle is 30 yards and my zeroing set-up is simple and inexpensive.

Instead of a shooting bench I use a lightweight photographer’s tripod; screwed on to the tripod head is a small wooden board. On top of the board I rest a small rabbit-ear shooting bag such as would normally be used to support the butt stock of a rifle when bench resting or shooting off a bi-pod (mine is the smaller bag from a Jack Pyke set). When zeroing a rifle I like to shoot from the standing position with my back resting against a convenient support – wall, or tree for example. The back of my supporting hand rests on the small bag and the rifle – if it’s a springer – rests on the palm of that hand. (If I am feeling really keen I wear a shooting glove – my take is a heavy duty gardening glove which dampens pulse movement due to my erratic, old-timer’s circulation.) I find that the set-up described gives me a comfortable and stable shooting platform.

I was almost out of my favourite brand of pellets but I happened to have a couple of tins of Gamo Pro Hunters. What a surprise I got; they did exceptionally well: ragged one-hole groups with the occasional flyer or three down to pilot error. Having zeroed the gun I decided to see what I could do. The first 5 shots went into one very small hole and I could feel the pressure mounting.

Now cut to the dove...it alighted on the gable end of an outbuilding 45 yards off. I quickly adjusted the AO scope to 45 yards, put the second mil-dot down on the bird’s neck and squeezed off the shot. It went down like a field target – a satisfying humane kill.

Cut to the paper target – would I be able to add another 5 shots to the one-hole group of a few minutes before? My sixth shot answered the question: it was close, but slightly wide of the mark. I decided to call it a day... until the next time.

Good shooting and have fun.

Chris

Edited by Manco