This year im thinking of rearing some pheasants in my back garden using a broody hen, and then hopefully when there old enough realsing them on the shoot with the rest of the poults. Has any one with more experiance get any tips on rearing using broodys, and do u think that i should not do it due to the risk of infecting the other birds on the shoot.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so little risk of my pheasants passing on anything to the other poults then? just wanted to make sure before i went ahead. Ive heard its best to just leave the broody to it and feed the chicks on chick crumbs. Anyone get any tips on rearing pheasants using a broody hen.

cheers Rob

When you have a broody sat on eggs put your hand near her she will peck at you big style if she is sitting tight, Swap the eggs late in the evening by taking most of hers out and replacing with some of the pheasant eggs then take out the rest of the chickhen eggs and top up with pheasant eggs, don't leave her without any eggs at anytime or she may fret and trample the pheasant eggs as soon as you put them in. You may need to tether her to feed and dump or she will back into the eggs before she has feed enough.

you,ll find your biggest problem is the hen stepping on the chicks the first few days, feed chick crumbs and supplement with hard boiled eggs mashed to pulp as well as greyhound food steeped in boiling water mashed and cooled just a small handfull of each every day. you,ll need grit smashed up small or grit sand.lock up in wet weather and get some pidgeon wormer through them at 4 weeks and fingers crossed you,ll have a few birds to shoot.watch for rearing hens together as they sometimes fight and trample small chicks in the process. good luck and give it a try. :yes:

how many eggs depends on size of hen once hatched off 20 plus under big maran hen but lost a few due to clumsy size . a good game sort will get a dozen fez eggs under.fresh water every day or twice is a must dont let pen or coup go stale.

Guest ragumup

I found it a waste of time pissing about with ten chicks and get nil return for it , theres nearly as much work as doing an 8x8 shed with 400 hundred chicks or so i know which one i would do, but if your bored or have the time to wastes or are very young /retired or just enjoy doing it then fine, imo

How many birds are you buying in and and if you are going to mix them you don't want there to be to much difference in size/age as you may find the older birds will kill the smaller ones. they may not but it happened to me once, good luck.