White patterdale ?????

if i remember correctly garry middleton bred some white lakeys a good few years ago

just a few --look up a dog called flint that ken gould had ..

i would of thought being such an expert on gould dogs you would have known that GM did not breed flint.

whr did i say he did ? --- i used flint as an example as its proberbly the most talked about white lakie ever ..as for being an expert far from it never laid claim to be never will ..i like gouldy and when he`s not on here to defend himself and getting shit i`ll stick up for the old fella .. atb Edited by the_stig

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WHITE LAKIES, NO SUCH THING. CANT ANSWER ON THE PATTS.

Yes, I agree with you, he could be anything by his color. They are around 15 months, and till now we are pleased with them. As I know there was no bull blood in them (I mean added by their breeders),

As always you're spot on DonnyC - I remember Sugar well, she was a very smart bitch indeed (especially for those days) and if my memory serves me right was I think by a black dog called Slim (also own

Been brought up before ..I judged a show back in the seventies and picked out a very tidy pure white bitch ..Bitchs name was Sugar bred from a line of blacks by J Campbell...Stig if you ask Ken he could well remember the bitch

As always you're spot on DonnyC - I remember Sugar well, she was a very smart bitch indeed (especially for those days) and if my memory serves me right was I think by a black dog called Slim (also owned by JC) and a dog very well respected for his working ability.

Back in those days there were quite a few examples of "white Patterdales". I think the main difference between now and then was that most folks tended to regard the shows as bit of fun and a way of raising funds for worthy causes (hunts, terrier clubs etc), rather than taking life as seriously as many appear to do today. As such they tended to classify their dogs by "type" rather than "breed", so if a terrier was white (regardless of how it was bred) it was a "Russell type" and so on for other breeds.

Bert Gripton's "Thatch" (mother of Tim and grandmother of Tiger) is another example of a "white Patterdale". Her litter sister "Tish", also owned by Bert for a while, was a stunning (even by today's standards) broken coated black bitch. The litter was bred by Roger Westmorland (Coniston F.H.), it was a black/black mating from a long line of black terriers which occasionally threw a white. Thatch and her offsprings always produced "russell types".

4284088781_6eee80d178_o.jpg

Mid 70’s – Bert’s “Thatch”

4284834290_9b65d8948a_o.jpg

Mid 70’s – Chris & Thatch, on one of her many “rest holidays” with us.

4284834684_a3a31a174e_o.jpg

Mid 80’s – Bert with Tiger, son of Tim, grandson of Thatch

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been brought up before ..I judged a show back in the seventies and picked out a very tidy pure white bitch ..Bitchs name was Sugar bred from a line of blacks by J Campbell...Stig if you ask Ken he could well remember the bitch

As always you're spot on DonnyC - I remember Sugar well, she was a very smart bitch indeed (especially for those days) and if my memory serves me right I think she was by a black dog called Slim (also owned by JC) and a dog very well respected for his working ability.

Back in those days there were quite a few examples of "white Patterdales". I think the main difference between now and then was that most folks tended to regard the shows as bit of fun and a way of raising funds for worthy causes (hunts, terrier clubs etc), rather than taking life as seriously as many appear to do today. As such they tended to classify their dogs by "type" rather than "breed", so if a terrier was white (regardless of how it was bred)it was a "Russell type" and so on for other breeds.

Bert Gripton's Thatch (mother of Tim and grandmother of Tiger) is another example of a "white Patterdale", her litter sister also owned by Bert for a while was a stunning (even by today's standards) broken coated black bitch. The litter was bred by Roger Westmorland (Coniston F.H.), it was a black/black mating from a long line of black terriers which occasionally threw a white. Thatch and her offsprings always produced "russell types".

4284088781_6eee80d178_o.jpg

Mid 70’s – Bert’s “Thatch”

4284834290_9b65d8948a_o.jpg

Mid 70’s – Chris & Thatch, on one of her many “rest holidays” with us.

4284834684_a3a31a174e_o.jpg

Mid

80’s – Bert with Tiger, son of Tim, grandson of Thatch

Kindest Regards - Barrie

good post that,s something i did,nt know,great photo of Bert

think brian nuttall added russell . Some people got white after close breeding .

No offence intended, but I suspect that's highly unlikely, my experience was that Brian was always quite scathing of Russells.

Kindest Regards - Barrie