Putting A Price On Sporting Rights

How longs a piece of string???????

Where abouts is it , species of deer on the ground, what are the past years cull figures for each species. is it private .is it forestry commision, so many unknown variables.

Personally I think £1 acre is fair if not a lot of deer are on the ground but expect to pay in excess of £10 acre pending were it is and circumstances, i should say there is always someone somewhere who will top your offer so if you intend tendering for a piece of land the least people are aware of its exact position the more likely you will be successful if you know what o mean.

Cheers

Stu

Where abouts is it , species of deer on the ground, what are the past years cull figures for each species. is it private .is it forestry commision, so many unknown variables.

Personally I think £1 acre is fair if not a lot of deer are on the ground but expect to pay in excess of £10 acre pending were it is and circumstances, i should say there is always someone somewhere who will top your offer so if you intend tendering for a piece of land the least people are aware of its exact position the more likely you will be successful if you know what o mean.

Cheers

Stu

Stuart...is this the only way to hunt there by leasing land fromm someone if you don't own yourself? That sure seems pretty pricey. I own 50 acres of prime woodland for deer (swamps, hardwood, softwood) but there is lots of government land which anyone can hunt for free and we do not need permission. As well, I had permission to hunt 75+ acres of blueberry fields for bears and did not have to pay the landowner anything other than a hello whenever he was down in the area. Of course, he wanted as many bears killed as possible as they probably destroyed 2-3 acres of blueberries. That being said, I only shot 1 as that is all we are allowed and I want to preserve them for future hunts.

Cheers and safe hunting

Rob

Cheers

Stu

Stuart...is this the only way to hunt there by leasing land fromm someone if you don't own yourself? That sure seems pretty pricey. I own 50 acres of prime woodland for deer (swamps, hardwood, softwood) but there is lots of government land which anyone can hunt for free and we do not need permission. As well, I had permission to hunt 75+ acres of blueberry fields for bears and did not have to pay the landowner anything other than a hello whenever he was down in the area. Of course, he wanted as many bears killed as possible as they probably destroyed 2-3 acres of blueberries. That being said, I only shot 1 as that is all we are allowed and I want to preserve them for future hunts.

Cheers and safe hunting

Rob

Hi Rob

Generally speaking yes if you dont own your own land which many few dont, and if your not fortunate to know a land owner or forestry owner who will let you shoot then you have to make a bid sometimes closed for the rights although sometimes if its Government controlled land such as the Forestry Commision they tell you what the lease price is but thats rare.

The Laughable part in all this if you can call it laughable is that This land controlled by the Forestry Commision already is public owned land paid for by the Tax payers of this country for the pleasure that can be obtained from it, They are also now insisting that those who take out leases are DSC2 qualified or a re working towards it , also a lease holder has to have a first aid certificate along with atv competence certificate and chain saw certificate its getting to such a stage you need to do a course to have a dump and how to bury it without cousing the public offence :cray:

we also have to show drawings and structural engineers reports on any structures placed in the forest and show a register of those structures being examined on a regular basis. also we have to take preventative measures so that members of the public cannot gain access to those structures in case some pillock falls and injures themselves. along with warning notices , Unfortunately its becoming a bit like USA here we are becoming a sueing society, You cant fart in case it upsets someone its getting worse.

On the lighter side of things there are areas such as around me that the deer are still regarded as little more than pests and sport is free,yes free. I would never pay for stalking ,other than a one off trophy no matter what it offered but thats because i live where i do i suppose .This paying for it was IMO the decline in availability for some people to access stalking at all .Money entered the equation along with the DMQ's ,a biproduct of insurance requirements because money had changed hands and a spin was created taking advantage of peoples sporting heritage .As long as there are people to outbid then prices will rise and as long as there is a demand for this rise then more qualifications will enter the equation but some are so blinkered as to keep piling the money at it and get those DMQ;s in the mistaken belief they have something that no-one else has but like i said at the start ,there are still vast areas of England that require no money transactions and provide the best sport available to lads that have learnt the trade from nippers and not through a quick fix in the class room .Am i the only one who can see that these qualifications mean nothing.

• Like 3

Cheers

Stu

Cheers and safe hunting

Rob

Hi Rob

Generally speaking yes if you dont own your own land which many few dont, and if your not fortunate to know a land owner or forestry owner who will let you shoot then you have to make a bid sometimes closed for the rights although sometimes if its Government controlled land such as the Forestry Commision they tell you what the lease price is but thats rare.

The Laughable part in all this if you can call it laughable is that This land controlled by the Forestry Commision already is public owned land paid for by the Tax payers of this country for the pleasure that can be obtained from it, They are also now insisting that those who take out leases are DSC2 qualified or a re working towards it , also a lease holder has to have a first aid certificate along with atv competence certificate and chain saw certificate its getting to such a stage you need to do a course to have a dump and how to bury it without cousing the public offence :cray:

we also have to show drawings and structural engineers reports on any structures placed in the forest and show a register of those structures being examined on a regular basis. also we have to take preventative measures so that members of the public cannot gain access to those structures in case some pillock falls and injures themselves. along with warning notices , Unfortunately its becoming a bit like USA here we are becoming a sueing society, You cant fart in case it upsets someone its getting worse.

On the lighter side of things there are areas such as around me that the deer are still regarded as little more than pests and sport is free,yes free. I would never pay for stalking ,other than a one off trophy no matter what it offered but thats because i live where i do i suppose .This paying for it was IMO the decline in availability for some people to access stalking at all .Money entered the equation along with the DMQ's ,a biproduct of insurance requirements because money had changed hands and a spin was created taking advantage of peoples sporting heritage .As long as there are people to outbid then prices will rise and as long as there is a demand for this rise then more qualifications will enter the equation but some are so blinkered as to keep piling the money at it and get those DMQ;s in the mistaken belief they have something that no-one else has but like i said at the start ,there are still vast areas of England that require no money transactions and provide the best sport available to lads that have learnt the trade from nippers and not through a quick fix in the class room .Am i the only one who can see that these qualifications mean nothing.

Wow, from what I am hearing in these 2 threads is that if you don't own land or in an area where there are plenty of deer it is a big money racket in which the insurance companies and gov't are the winners. It appears it's not about preserving a heritage of hunting but about seeing who has the deepest pockets. That's really too bad as what happens is the youngsters suffer and do not get to enjoy the sport. :hmm:

Sorry Wayne, didn't mean to get off track with your original question but it seems you are going to have to take a lot of courses in order to hunt a lease. Hard to believe :cray:

• Like 1

i totaly agree with you foxdropper in everything you say ..and well said too iv been lucky enough to have a good landlord that lets me shoot over thousands of acres for free, i wish there was more like him about. i dont have any qualifications except my creadabilty built up over the years and have been dead set against the robbing of the less better of for what should be given or shared, after all novicies learn from the expierianced and that should be your qualification ..after all someone whos never pointed a rifle at a deer can do if they pass a level one ..i just dont get it ..lol oh and yes iv made mistakes in the past and learned from them and i bet even those with a string of paper saying there fit and compedant have to ..ether that they stray from the truth, i have deer stalking and lots of other kinds of of shooting that i was given by trust, and im thankfull for it and share with mates and they share with me and through that iv have been to some brilliant places and seen some fantastic sights ..so thanks to all that trusted me and all i can do is return that to others that might be starting out ...right im of out for roe ...lol..for free ...lol

Edited by nastybilly

Location ,location,location. If you can safe guard the area, keep 1 or 2 buddies happy on it to share the cost of maintaining it, feeding it, & attracting more into the area. Its worth what time & effort you have. Does it work with your plans for a few pens ?? high seats ?? whatever..If the location is venerable.....open to abuse, it may be a headache. Have a morning, then an afternoon, & an evening out at diffrent times & see whats on there. & dont forget, how long is the lease !

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes find that with private land owners they would rather have someone they can trust, rather than money which ties them into a contract. Also someone who will deal with anything else they need, ie rabbits/foxes and carion. You hear all the stories of muntjack down south being vermin - a deer I would dearly love to stalk - but find it hard to locate land or scyndicate down there.I am in the new forrest in two weeks and will be looking for contacts but I feel it will be out of my price range,something tells me the further south you go the more expensive it would be. I dont know for sure but its interesting in itself. I wonder where the prime prices are for scotland/wales /england/ireland as my stalking is free at the moment but I have had to spend money in past.

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit I am just getting into deer stalking and have only shot a couple of roe bucks and a few munties. I am lucky enough to be very good friends with a handful of great gamekeepers in the south east and they have been great over the years with giving me shooting. I am also lucky enough to have picked up 2,000a in the midlands but it a 200 mile round trip!!! I think its getting stupid this paying for shooting! There are farmers around here that sell day tickets for anywhere between £30 and £150 per day to go rough shooting etc. These guys have no respect for the land, land owner or the neibouring farmers! I have seen empty shells scattered all over the place, and piles of dead pigeons left in ditches along the side of a footpath for all to see. If I were to do this even once then that would be my shooting rights gone and thats it.

Sorry for the rant is just a bit of a sore point lol

Happy new year to you all.

These guys have no respect for the land, land owner or the neibouring farmers! I have seen empty shells scattered all over the place, and piles of dead pigeons left in ditches along the side of a footpath for all to see. If I were to do this even once then that would be my shooting rights gone and thats it.

Sorry for the rant is just a bit of a sore point lol

Happy new year to you all.

Good for you DKG, tell it like it is. You have 100% of my support. If you pack it in, then pack it out, including your empty shells. It only takes 1 person to ruin it for the other 100 to follow.