gamekeeping as an occupation

Guest little_lloyd

If you have transport mate and hopefully you do ,try calling in at Coombe End Estate.Its between Birdlip hill and Cirencester .Probably changed a bit since I was there but its huge and as the lads said any offer of work this time of year is welcome and dosnt go unnoticed .The main thing is to keep your head down and WORK ,listen, learn and show all that enthusiasm you obviously have .Hope you get a start mate as its one of the finest professions .

P.s There are plenty of keepered shoots in your area so dont give up .

hi mate. im about to start at sparsholt in september doing the game and wildlife management course. btec national diploma. i got in with a local keeper, been helping him for quite a while and learning the trick of the trade. if you apply for a college to do that kind of course, they will be looking for a good reference more than anything so dont worry about the grades. they mainly wont a good reference to show you know how gamekeeping works and you have practical experience. my advice is go get in with a keeper. thats what i did and gained an excellent reference. good luck mate.

was something I always wanted to do as a school leaver (many moons ago)......but I never had the backing from my parents, who forced me into something else.....now I'm a Chartered Surveyor!!!

If you got the backing and are passionate about it....get on and do it lad................I certainly regret not having the balls to do what I wanted as a bairne

if you think being a keeper is walking round with a gun under your arm and a dog by your side think again ,,its fecking hard work and wank pay ..all i can say is you must be mad :D in about three months of doing a keeprs job you will be saying it to your self .. :laugh:

If its a job your after mate then forget keepering ,its a way of life 24-7.

Guest little_lloyd

Dont worry lads i know what im in for! Understand its not all about walking around with a gun :no: Im aware of all the work involved and its my thing, i dont mind working hard for ages!

• 7 months later...
Guest stevenjeffreys
Sparsholt is the place to go if you can get in. As I have said in the previous posts ask what "Gamekeeping" past experience the lecturers have had. When you go back to hartpury ask the Gamekeeping staff what have they done regarding "Full time" Gamekeeping. You may be supprised how little they have done. I know of one college lecturer that has never even been on a shoot but still teaches game and shoot management. At Hartpury ask the short old timer who does part time National diploma lecturing his name is Phil Willis he will give you contact details for Robin at Tortworth est, the estate is just outside Thornbury. Phil is the chap to talk about keepering with he has had a life time of experience.

hi i go to hartpury on the game keeping course i was just wondering who u are?

Guest bigredbusa

1.get yourself a nice quiet pre charged and go and kill all the local gamekeepers birds / rabbits/ hares etc.. lord of the manor will be deeply pissed off with said keeper and sack him .

2.you armed with knowledge that the keeper has lost his job should them approach said land owner offering you're services , stating that you know his land very well but it may take a week to get to know it in the day time.

3.hopefully you will get a tied cottage from said deal

if this fails and land owner gets a new keeper feel free to repeat step 1 and 2 until you are the new keeper.

:) :) :) :) :)

joking aside

as above mate , approach keepers and help with beating / feeding / walking in etc..

i got offered a couple of jobs when i was younger but turned them down as the money was too poor for my yuppy style lifestyle lol .

and if you dont get offered a job you will probably get a bit of permission and the guys/gals you meet will may lead to other job offers . dont give up

if you think being a keeper is walking round with a gun under your arm and a dog by your side think again ,,its fecking hard work and wank pay ..all i can say is you must be mad :D in about three months of doing a keeprs job you will be saying it to your self .. :laugh:

i have to agree with the above as i work full time as a sporting guide and boy is it hard work up at 4 am and not home till late at night i dont get the time to shoot much

why dont you try pest control a other top job in the countryside

all the best

regards

• 2 months later...
I went to college to study abit of it... i done a first diploma in countryside and enviroment

which was good but then i done a national diploma in countryside managment and game

managment, and i loved the whole two and a half years of it.. even though the college was

shite.. and i also got to dig the first ever thing dug at the college with my terrier :clapper:

I dont want to be a gamekeeper though its not for me but i enjoyed the courses alot :thumbs:

if you dont mind me asking dogging lad after spending allthat time at collegue learning how to be a keeper, what did u go on to do instead?