Bad Weather..

milo

I've been out nearly everyday so far there's always somewhere i can go even if its down the woods but then my fhh i hunt from the follow on so its not so bad for her the wind don't seem to bother the really fit hawks, i took a lad out last week and could tell instantly his hawk wasn't fit it got blown all over the place when mine handled the wing like a pro even 40-50mph i even had a great tail chase on a cock pheasant witch she took in the air after a 150yard+ chase

good job we have slow pheasants like some of the hill billy folk from here in the Norfolk area :laugh:. even then in the past I have had to work hard to negotiate a decent slip for a Gos before I took a cock bird out of the air which was usually well in excess of 150 yards expecially this time of the year.

most of the Pheasants I have taken and seen midaired have been sitting on their wings before the put in and taken, others have been mugged on the way up off the floor on the rise off the fist or young birds flushed that put in earley and taken in the air, then I suppose anyone could also reflush and take out a knackered out bird....

any chance that Pheasant you took had been pricked on a shoot or somthing?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting...But lets try and keep this thred clean and tidy and not start yet another row ITS CHRISTMAS after all

With the current weather being Gale force winds torrential rain hail stones and now snow,i try and take advantage of every break in the weather i possibly can to get rico out,ive managed to fly him 3

Been off since last weds for Christmas and as soon as I got home the weather has been constantly Crap. Still I have had my 2011 little fela out in the wind, first in the shelterd area then out in the

Posted Images

Been off since last weds for Christmas and as soon as I got home the weather has been constantly

Crap. Still I have had my 2011 little fela out in the wind, first in the shelterd area then out in the wind he love feather and has been going like a rocket with the wind and he is getting fit flying against it when coming back. Telemetry is a must in these condition so remember to check them batteries.

Out on a field meet on satarday weather permitting. Rabbits did not want to bolt last weekend so hoping for a bit more sport this weekend.

Safe hawking and watch the weather

All the best

Lee

Spot on Lee :thumbs:. went out with some lads last sunday who was flying three harris's between them, they all tacked onto the wind lovely and seemed to be enjoying themselves.

the main problem was quarry which was very thin on the ground but things will change soon hopefully...

Jasp

I've been out nearly everyday so far there's always somewhere i can go even if its down the woods but then my fhh i hunt from the follow on so its not so bad for her the wind don't seem to bother the really fit hawks, i took a lad out last week and could tell instantly his hawk wasn't fit it got blown all over the place when mine handled the wing like a pro even 40-50mph i even had a great tail chase on a cock pheasant witch she took in the air after a 150yard+ chase

good job we have slow pheasants like some of the hill billy folk from here in the Norfolk area :laugh:. even then in the past I have had to work hard to negotiate a decent slip for a Gos before I took a cock bird out of the air which was usually well in excess of 150 yards expecially this time of the year.

most of the Pheasants I have taken and seen midaired have been sitting on their wings before the put in and taken, others have been mugged on the way up off the floor on the rise off the fist or young birds flushed that put in earley and taken in the air, then I suppose anyone could also reflush and take out a knackered out bird....

any chance that Pheasant you took had been pricked on a shoot or somthing?

they don't shoot on this land its around a pig farm with a wood at either end we get great flights from both ends on this day my Harris was sitting about 50yards behind me in a tall tree when we flushed a pair of cock birds one went down the wood one headed across the fields my Harris was already flying when it flushed as she saw it on the move to take off and instead of rising it flew flat and my hawk was flying about 10ft higher and slightly cut it off which gave her the upper hand and enabled her to close the gap she grabbed it by the tail and as it lost balance she grabbed its back with the other foot and both hit the ground the tail wind really helps once the hawks learn to use it to there advantage

they don't shoot on this land its around a pig farm with a wood at either end we get great flights from both ends on this day my Harris was sitting about 50yards behind me in a tall tree when we flushed a pair of cock birds one went down the wood one headed across the fields my Harris was already flying when it flushed as she saw it on the move to take off and instead of rising it flew flat and my hawk was flying about 10ft higher and slightly cut it off which gave her the upper hand and enabled her to close the gap she grabbed it by the tail and as it lost balance she grabbed its back with the other foot and both hit the ground the tail wind really helps once the hawks learn to use it to there advantage

I know what you mean now when caught on the wing after 150yrd's.. :thumbs: ..ill explain what i think...the harris was following on infront or to the left or right about 148yrd's away from you..that is when the pheasants started to rise about 2yrd's infront of the hawk.. the hawk will of already been in full speed if it spotted the head's bobbing in cover..basicly it's what we call a mugging.. :thumbs:

Edited by Millet

No millet not at all the flight went out across the fields 150yards i can't see why you all find it so hard to believe that a Harris can catch a pheasant in flight when everyone knows they can out fly a running hare you lot either don't fly your birds alot and so have never seen a fit hawk or your all piss taking twats either way i know what my hawk can do and i know that in the right conditions and if she's in the right frame of mind she'll take on just about anything you can believe what you want in your narrow minded small world sat behind a keyboard

I used to have a female harris myself which nailed a good few bunnies and moorhen's..she was flown pretty regular and had a good level of fitness..she did take 2 pheasant's but both where mugged in long grass..the ones she did try and tail chase burned her of straight away from the start and by the time she had got to where they headed they where long gone..

I now fly a male gos what is twice the speed of a harris and a pure sprinter of the fist.. he still misses a lot more than he catches and it is not uncommon to see a flight go 600yrd's and further even a 1000yrd's on occasion's...so i can't for the life of me work out how a female harris can be quicker than a goshawk and take pheasant at 150yrd flight's on the wing.. :blink:

Edited by Millet

has long has we are all happy with what ever we fly who gives a toss...but if you aint getting results with the bird you have is it not better to fly another type,im more than happy with my harris at the moment ! but i have been contemplating getting a red tail maybe next year has most of the land i hunt have tons of tree rats..il see what happens HORSES FOR COURSES

No millet not at all the flight went out across the fields 150yards i can't see why you all find it so hard to believe that a Harris can catch a pheasant in flight when everyone knows they can out fly a running hare you lot either don't fly your birds alot and so have never seen a fit hawk or your all piss taking twats either way i know what my hawk can do and i know that in the right conditions and if she's in the right frame of mind she'll take on just about anything you can believe what you want in your narrow minded small world sat behind a keyboard

thats a bit strong from a guy who put a post up complaining about the swearing and argueing in the quote from another thread below :hmm:. you don't have to harp onto me about fittness, trust me pal I have seen many fit hawks from alot of different species. there's a marked difference in a hawk thats already on the wing taking a Pheasant than one from a standing start straight off the fist. seen a decent male Harris in the past have a cock bird virtually flushed underneath him! he missed with the first effort when he had the advantage but in a level tail chase he wasn't in the same leagure. I'll give him his due's he followed it to where it put into cover but lost the pheasant.

I'm certainly not slagging Harris's off by any means as they are quality birds in the right hands, I also know some Pheasants are taken in good style with the capabilites nature gifted a Harris. but if you are telling me a good fit Harris will flying down and mid-air a good fit mature Pheasant from a standing start your bird must be on somthing :D....

hi im new to the forum and im shocked at the way some of the people talk to each other just goes to show how the sport is being slammed into the ground, when you think its a sport of kings you'd think some of the kids on here would try harder to support the sport insted of painting it in a bad light ive never seen so much foul text on a forum and a disgusting way people talk to each other, im 29 and can swear with the best of them but when with the lads but on an open forum where young kids may be reading to learn our art of falconry is a little much i thought this was gonna be a good forum to join but the more i read the more it looks like the iff.

back to the thread i fly a fhh at 2lb 4oz and she has had 6 brown hares in 3 seasons she's flown alot more then that but makes up her mind if she's gonna take it or not i've found she wont even fly them till super fit and the cover dies back a little then i see her pay more attention to them im yet to see her get dragged about by one she ties them up really well, i fly her from followin g on so she makes the move if she wants it or not. my dad flys a fhh at 1lb 14.5oz and she's taken a half grown hare but wont even fly at them now after getting dragged about i know a few people that fly males that take hares but they are the people that are on the kill in secs so the birds know back up is there and that seems to build confidence so the males keep taking them. my fhh has taken young munkjack the size of hares and boy did she hit it hard i have a pic of the deer with a hare on my driveway as i didnt take a camera with me so i doubt anyone will belive me anyway as most on here think only a video will confirm the real story but i have my other half and my mum and dad that saw it happen plus i saw it with my own eyes so i know it happened plus i had the deer for sunday roast so i couldnt careless if im belived or not just hope that posts start getting abit more friendly for the sake of our sport[/sub]]

has long has we are all happy with what ever we fly who gives a toss...but if you aint getting results with the bird you have is it not better to fly another type,im more than happy with my harris at the moment ! but i have been contemplating getting a red tail maybe next year has most of the land i hunt have tons of tree rats..il see what happens HORSES FOR COURSES

totally agree :thumbs:. falconry is about getting out and hunting a bird you enjoy flying, its not a race to see who has the fastest or best bird or who has the Biggest Willy....

Enjoy and have some fun :victory:......

Well with the forcast being very bad for this weekend i decided to get out this morning,had a good chase on a cock phessie but we were beat again into a thick old wood,i didnt see any bunnies about prob too damm wet never mind had an hour out :thumbs:

jack pykes new range of hawk waterproofs

thats a bit strong from a guy who put a post up complaining about the swearing and argueing in the quote from another thread below :hmm:. you don't have to harp onto me about fittness, trust me pal I have seen many fit hawks from alot of different species. there's a marked difference in a hawk thats already on the wing taking a Pheasant than one from a standing start straight off the fist. seen a decent male Harris in the past have a cock bird virtually flushed underneath him! he missed with the first effort when he had the advantage but in a level tail chase he wasn't in the same leagure. I'll give him his due's he followed it to where it put into cover but lost the pheasant.

I'm certainly not slagging Harris's off by any means as they are quality birds in the right hands, I also know some Pheasants are taken in good style with the capabilites nature gifted a Harris. but if you are telling me a good fit Harris will flying down and mid-air a good fit mature Pheasant from a standing start your bird must be on somthing :D....

hi im new to the forum and im shocked at theway some of the people talk to each other just goes to show how the sport is being slammed into the ground, when you think its a sport of kings you'd think some of the kids on here would try harder to support the sport insted of painting it in a bad light ive never seen so much foul text on a forum and a disgusting way people talk to each other, im 29 and can swear with the best of them but when with the lads but on an open forum where young kids may be reading to learn our art of falconry is a little much i thought this was gonna be a good forum to join but the more i read the more it looks like the iff.

back to the thread i fly a fhh at 2lb 4oz and she has had 6 brown hares in 3 seasons she's flown alot more then that but makes up her mind if she's gonna take it or not i've found she wont even fly them till super fit and the cover dies back a little then i see her pay more attention to them im yet to see her get dragged about by one she ties them up really well, i fly her from followin g on so she makes the move if she wants it or not. my dad flys a fhh at 1lb 14.5oz and she's taken a half grown hare but wont even fly at them now after getting dragged about i know a few people that fly males that take hares but they are the people that are on the kill in secs so the birds know back up is there and that seems to build confidence so the males keep taking them. my fhh has taken young munkjack the size of hares and boy did she hit it hard i have a pic of the deer with a hare on my driveway as i didnt take a camera with me so i doubt anyone will belive me anyway as most on here think only a video will confirm the real story but i have my other half and my mum and dad that saw it happen plus i saw it with my own eyes so i know it happened plus i had the deer for sunday roast so i couldnt careless if im belived or not just hope that posts start getting abit more friendly for the sake of our sport[/sub]]

no i don't see it as abit strong or harsh i was just aniod at the piss taking comments i tried to join in on a thread and instead of believing or ignoring my post i got the piss i know what my hawk did that day and wrote what happened weather any wants to believe me is another thing but to start taking the piss and basically calling me a liar i didn't say that she out fly pheasant every time i just said that on that day she did the bird flew strong and hadn't been shoot previously and she caught it she hadn't done it before and who knows may not ever again but on that day she did i know if she was on the glove and they both went from a standstill she'd get left behind but she was all ready at full tilt and kept with it till she could strike