Sign in to follow this  
steve66

Lenses

Im looking for a versitile lense for roaming about , i thought a 55 - 200 mm would be ok

Probily buy tamaron as penny's abit tight at the mo

Any ideas ?

It depends on what camera you have and what lens you have now.

If you have a lens up to 50mm or 55mm now look at the Tamron 70-300mm there are two versions and the cheaper one is circa £120, the extra 100mm on a crop body is 160mm which gets you much closer. If you have a canon they have a 75-300mm at £175.

With any lens purchase buy the best you can afford and if there is a better one for a little more save a bit. Also look round the camera shops and photography forums for second hand as usually SH lens are in good nick.

Have a look at camerapricebuster.com they give the best prices available.

What kind of camera have you got?

If its a Nikon, you can get a 70-300mm lense, second hand on ebay for around £80..this will not be the VR model, but very good glass, hey, its Nikon..I still use mine now and again and get good images

Im looking for a versitile lense for roaming about , i thought a 55 - 200 mm would be ok

Probily buy tamaron as penny's abit tight at the mo

Any ideas ?

I HAVE A NIKON D40 WITH A NIKON DX VR 55-300MM BUT EVEN THAT IS NOT THAT CLOSE IS THERE MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS AND THE 70-300MM ONE?

Edited by deadlyshot

Ive got a tameron 55-200 on a canon 1000d , cant say im to impressed with the results so far , but its probably more down to me than anything

Hey mate the Tammy, isn't a great lens, but if it's all you can afford, I have to admit to being spoilt due to the fact I have saved my bollox off and have 3 L class lens' but when I started out I bought the 70-300mm sigma and got great results from that lens, it's a few notches up from the Tammy but still won't break the bank

If its a cannon,, the 24-105 ef is a stunner,, decent price secondhand,, but will do the job of 5 lenses

ATB