• 1 month later...

Leaf springs from old landrovers (or any other vehicle) are perfect for larger knives tend to be 80point + carbon content, just finished a cracking one. Anything with high carbon content, files etc good for smaller knives but you will have to heat them red hot & let them cool before you can bore them etc. Then need to shine & heat temper purplr/ blue and let air cool to get it to take an edge when you are finished working it.

Get a book from the libray or i'me sure there is plenty info on the net as to carbont content of various scrap metal, generally things that have been blades before (farm implements, sheares, spades etc) are good for cutting tool again.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

want to try knifemaking wondering were you can get steels from or ready made blanks

ebay sell blank steel with bras pins cut ya shape out file it loads of work in volved in that part or try midnight on hear i have just orderd 2 of him £25 each blank come highly polished you just ad ya handle away ya go have a look on the craft and diy he has a few on there
  • Like 1