28g 7's any use

Well what do the numbers tell us. A load of 32g no 7 has 384 pellets while 28g no 7 has 342 pellets.

1/4 choke at 40 yards has a 55% pattern in a 30 inch circle so there are about an EXTRA 24 pellets in the 30 inch circle with 32g

Those 24 pellets are spread over 700 square inches so about 1 pellet every 28 square inches. It would be difficult to argue that is really significant compared with the small size of a pigeon . In practical terms maybe 32g would perform a little better at distance but not for most decoying ranges is what the numbers tell us - the rest is in your head..

So thats a EXTRA 24 pellets so 24 more chances to hit the target it only takes a single headshot pellet to kill a bird cleanly.

If you exclude the beak a pigeons head is under 1 square inch so the chances of that extra kill are about 1 in 30. Please bear in mind that is only at the limit after all an already dead pigeon is not more dead by an extra pellet.

I used to use 32g no 6 for pigeons. One day I was short of 32g 6s and took with me some 7.5 clay 28g .

I had 7.5 28g in the first barrel and was rationing the 32g no 6 in the second barrel.

I continued like this for a while. I missed one with the first shot but stopped it clean kill second barrel over 40 yards out. There I was reassuring myself that I needed 32g in the second barrel to reload finding that both cartridges were 28g 7.5 ! It was an Eureka moment for me.

I pay £160 1000 for the 7.5 28g and £220 1000 for the 32g 6s = The £60 saved gets me an extra 350 cartridges which kills a lot of extra pigeons.

Edited by welshboy454

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if it goes bang and your on target dont matter what load you are using

I agree within reason. I thought it was me missing the point.   When I was a youngster, I might have asked the same questions.   Now I know that chokes and shot sizes, only matter if you worry ab

If you exclude the beak a pigeons head is under 1 square inch so the chances of that extra kill are about 1 in 30.   I used to use 32g no 6 for pigeons. One day I was short of 32g 6s and took with m

approx 10000, so could be more???? 6000 birds thats not far short of 50% ratio, like i said more practice is needed lol, see your at it again it's the same sinario as before,,,,,,,i shoot more shells so i know more,,,,,or i have more birds to shoot so im a better shot,,,,or i shoot more expensive cartridges so i know what i'm talking about,,,, do you see the patern??????????
and you would need to shoot 115.3846 EVERY WEEK (52 WEEKS) TO REACH THAT AMOUNT
Thats what I stated in my post some weeks I can shoot 600 birds if the crop weather etc allows. So yes I average 60% to 70% kill ratio. I still would like to know how many woodies you shoot in a year as clearly if you shoot 25 cartridges at woodies in a year you would know more than a guy who shoots 10000 a year at woodies. If you would to come and outshoot me with your 28 grams 7s I can arrange a trip in march over bean drilling . Cheers Cookie
listen mate, i sort of know where your coming from, but it's a confidence thing that is in your head more than anything, what welshboy said was spot on. i can tell you know your shooting more shells/pigeons than me. but ive had a shotgun licence since i was 15 i,m now 40, so ive learned a bit (not a lot), a lot of it through shooting competition clays, i was holding my own with some top shots by the time i was 19,,,,now i know this doesnt make me an expert but what it did show me was exactly what a 28g 7.5 was capable of,,,,,,now if your inviting me for a day on the pigeon then i would jump at the chance but i recon i will out shoot 60% but whatever happens i'll gaurentee that if you beat me or me you it WILL BE WHO SHOOTS BEST ON THE DAY,,,,,,,NOT WHAT GUN////CARTRIDGE//////OR LUCKY UNDERPANTS YOU ARE WEARING

PS WHICH EVER WAY IT WENT A PINT AFTER WOULD BE ON ME!!!!!!

Edited by dazzz
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Nowt to do with confidence its do with odds 4 grams of lead flying though the air at said target is 4 grams of extra lead .

Yes I have tried 7.5s and have been using black and goold 8s a fine cartridge over deeks with a dense pattern .

But the lead in clay cartridges are designed to break clays where the game cartridges be it 6s in 28g or 30g or 32g lead is designed to pucture flesh.

Yes all nit picking but I dont buy into all cartridges go bang story and all guns go bang to shoot well regularly you need a reasonable quality gun and cartridges .

Like all chainsaws cut but does your B @ Q one cuts and last as long as you STIHL saw .

When the drilling comes on I give you a shout where are you in the world Cookie

All lifetimelamper wanted to know was are they any good!!

Anyway I have been entertained for the last few days, and I agree with both of some of your points. (other bits are strutting cocks!)

I have never considered using something smaller than 7,s on pigeon. J

ust the way I was brought up though!

Interesting kill ratios, and I may consider using some old Victory sonic 7.5's, on roost shoots, but only in low plantations.

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I think my kill ratios are more realistic yes some days I can maintain 85% kill to cart ratio but over a larger span of cartridge use .

I think anybody getting 85% kill ratio in the field on woodies with 10000 cartridges would be world class.

Theres alot of shooter who can hit 90% of there target when there floating over the deeks on a nice sunny afternoon on OSR stubble.

But shooting yesterday in 70 MPH winds with birds flicking over a beech hanger at 90 MPH dont talk rubbish if DAZZZ could hit 90% of them he would be a shooting god.

Cheers Cookie

I think my kill ratios are more realistic yes some days I can maintain 85% kill to cart ratio but over a larger span of cartridge use .

I think anybody getting 85% kill ratio in the field on woodies with 10000 cartridges would be world class.

Theres alot of shooter who can hit 90% of there target when there floating over the deeks on a nice sunny afternoon on OSR stubble.

But shooting yesterday in 70 MPH winds with birds flicking over a beech hanger at 90 MPH dont talk rubbish if DAZZZ could hit 90% of them he would be a shooting god.

Cheers Cookie

never said i could hit 90% in fine weather mate, dont get touchy, i think you have been honest with your kill ratio,

all i said was i recon i could match that with my 7.5's,,,,,,,,,,as for guns then the important thing is not the price but the fit,

if its £20,0000000 pound if it doesnt suit it may as well be in the bin,,,,,,please do contact me i'll look forward to it,

you have far more to go at than me,,,,,and i promise you if you prove me wrong or not a some pub grub and a pint will be

on me

• 2 weeks later...

I consider my self to be a s**t shot i could not hit the side of a cows arse with a fist full of rice lol, after reading all the post i think my problem is a numbers game in 4 years i might have shot 300 rounds and i would embarrass my self but saying how much i have hit. what i would like to no is how much the average parson shoots in a year, one guy say he shoots 10000 surly that would be above average?

A pigeon shooting load is always dependant on a mixture of shot size, choke and the range at which you expect to kill your birds.

Any bird must be hit with enough pellets of sufficient energy to be reasonably sure of killing it at the range at which you have fired at it.

Its no coincidence that after more than 100 years of shotgun technology, the perfect combination of 30/32g of #6 has never been improved upon for general decoying.

Why use a clay load and limit yourself to only shooting decoying pigeons at 30yrds?

Your not, or at least im not, limiting myself to 30 yards. I down plenty of doos upto and beyond 40 yards with 28g 7`s in steel.

There is not much energy left at 50 yrds in 7.5 lead cart to penetrate and kill a pigeon cleanly. Steel has even less energy.