This evenings foray

Mark274

I went out for a couple of hours (that was the intention) up to a local ish permission.

When I got there the wind was howling from behind me but I knew it would be a left to right once I got around to where the bunnies hide.

It took me about 10 mins to get all set up and by this time I could hardly feel my fingers but a brisk stalk would cure that :)

As I rounded the corner out of the wind I shone the lamp down the field and saw one scurry into the hedge bottom where the burrows are. I shone the lamp round the field but saw nothing else so took the red filter off to give it a bit more range. I use a deben atom which isn't that bright but bright enough.

I shone again and saw another bunny about 40 yards out so made my way along the hedge bottom to get a bit closer. I shone again and it was still in the same position but now I was only 25 ish yards away. I dropped to a knee, put the rifle on the sticks and put on the light. Bang, one rabbit for the pot.

I stood up and had another shine along the hedge and about a dozen rabbits made for the hedge, it was now snowing quite heavily. There was still a couple of rabbits on the field though. I made my way closer and shone again, another rabbit in range. I dropped to my knee, put the rifle on the sticks, turned on the lamp, bang, two for two :)

I shone again and there was another rabbit at about 30 yards but it was laid flat. By now I couldn't feel my fingers so I wasn't sure if I'd rotated the magazine. I set myself up as before and took the shot, miss. The rabbit ran for a short way then stopped but I had no feeling in my fingers at all by now so decided to go to the car for a warm through.

It took me two trips to get to the car as I couldn't hold the rabbits due to the cold so I called it a night.

I was out for an hour and a half but only had 10/15 minutes shooting due to the cold, the temp in the car was 1 degree and that was without the wind, it got me out the house though.