GSP,GWP or ESS ??

ive got a gsp, i dont have it retrieving animals but it retrieves dummys and balls etc fine and not hard to train either also it works cover really well, the only thing i could say bad about mine is that once it gets its nose on something it wont come back straight away, tuk it out last sunday and never seen it for half an hour at one point, it did find its self 30 or so pheasants though haha

All excellent dogs in there own right pal, but depends what you want them for, horses for courses and that.

Dave.

woodcock pheasant snipe duck pigeon...everything really but mainly woodcock and duck..i kinda want a hpr or even lab(yet i know there not great with dense cover) just for a change though.

I have a gsp supperb dog for deer,and wildfowl inland any way,the only thing that lets it down is his coat, too thin for my work, he is heavy built strong fit animal,but looses weight in winter, I have to put a coat on him when duck flighting good retreiver ticks all my boxes as a working dog,but next time I will go for a gwp,what you have to be is ready for is the work ethic of these dogs,mine has masses of prey drive, they are very loyal,dont buy some ones elses :censored: up buy a pup from a reputable person,at a young age and get it vetted, they work alot different to spaniels,they absorb more ground, alot more acurate when hunting,alot less disturbace,real exciting dogs to be around,and work I allso have a spaniel he is brilliant,but to be honest I only use him in dense cover the kind that would piss a goat off,If you are doing pheasant shooting or walked up should help make your decission as an all rounder though,with the write training pointers are fab :thumbs:

The GSP is not just a short haired version of the GWP - they are similar but different breeds that need a different approach. Neither are breeds for novice dog trainers if you want to get the best out of them and they vary a lot in temperament and working style. They are very very slow to mature and can be incredibly headstrong. On the positive side - when well trained they are excellent. I have trained springers to a high standard and had to chuck the book away when i got into GWP's they take a certain way of handling that will blow your mind if you are used to a springer or leave you sobbing in a wood wondering why you didn't just buy a lab.

The GSP is not just a short haired version of the GWP - they are similar but different breeds that need a different approach. Neither are breeds for novice dog trainers if you want to get the best out of them and they vary a lot in temperament and working style. They are very very slow to mature and can be incredibly headstrong. On the positive side - when well trained they are excellent. I have trained springers to a high standard and had to chuck the book away when i got into GWP's they take a certain way of handling that will blow your mind if you are used to a springer or leave you sobbing in a wood wondering why you didn't just buy a lab.

out or curiosity what are the main differences in the 2??

gp's are a great breed but if cover is heavy, then they may just sit in and point out of sight, whereas the springer will flush the game out right away,

more time is needed in the care of gp's as they tend to get annoyed if they don't get much attention and can be destructive, or bark constantly to crave attention.

you have to think on the cover you will mostly shoot over on, and then consider which breed will suit you the best,

Love to watch the gp's work well, nothing like it...

good luck with whatever you decide...

slightly different genetics - the gwp has korthals blood which gives a different result. THere are 2 excellent books about their origins - one by sharon pinkerton on the GWP and another about the gsp. both called "the XXXX today". be worth having a read.

completely different genetics, 4 breeds used including the korthals griffon.

gwps are more laid back compared to the gsp and have a more robust nature,,,, aloof and sharp.

i like the spaniels as well as my wirehairs, both work well, depending on what i want to hunt over for the day, pointer or flusher.