minimum land for 22. LR Riffle

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from you all, whether there is a minimum amount of land for obtaining a 22 LR riffle?

The situation.

I have permission to shoot in a 6 acre wood, I have been shooting there for a year or so with a 12 gage.

but now I would like to get my firearms licence.

does any one know if this would be acceptable for the licence?

thanks

Edited by james.5385

Shooting skylined targets with a firearm is a big no-no. Even the humble rimmie bullet can kill 100's of yards away, possibly up to a mile.

You are also extremely unlikely to get an fac other than for fac air on 6 acres, maybe 100 acres plus? depends on the topography of the land too.

Call your local feo and ask for advice matey,

Duncan.

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some advice from you all, whether there is a minimum amount of land for obtaining a 22 LR riffle?

The situation.

I have permission to shoot in a 6 acre wood, I have been shooting there for a year or so with a 12 gage.

but now I would like to get my firearms licence mainly to shoot pigeons when they have landed in the trees.

thanks

Please please do not shoot in the air with ANY FAC guns.

Do your research properly because if you said this to a FEO you would certanly NOT be granted a licence

Why do you need a FAC air rifle? surely a sub 12ft will shoot pigeons out of trees? If its the noise of the shooting your worried about then maybe try a hushpower shotgun?

Its all about how you word it and doing your homework mate.

If you said you were going to use it to shoot skyline targets then obviously you are going to get a no. But if you say its for pest control IE Rabbits ect then you will be ok.

When i had my visit from my FEO he told me of a guy he and a colleage went to visit to grant a licence for a .22 LR

The Guy in question had nothing more then a large garden, Witha main road on one side and houses on the other, But looking out from his house down the garden there was a decent back stop in a stone hedge with some fields behind.

The guy explained to them that he had a rabbit problem at the bottom of his garden, He also explained that he had tried an air rifle and shot gun but they were out of range, So he wanted a .22LR to plonk away sat on his decking of an evening. He also told them that he knew he could only shoot in that direction and he was aware of the close proximity to the road and houses ect.

In the end he said they had to issue the licence as he had done his homework and given good cause to why he needed sed calibre of rifle.

Just goes to show mate if you have good cause to own a firearm they cant refuse you. Just have to think about what your going to use it for.

Hope this helps mate

hi thanks for your reply i didn't think about Fac air rifle that maybe that's the best way to go.

with Fac air rifles do the police still need to view the land?

thanks for your time

Yes, the land will still need to be cleared for whichever calibre for anyone on a closed ticket (all fac's start out as close tickets).

As said, why not try a legal limit air rifle? I've shot plenty of woodies myself with my 12fpe pcp air rifle and airgun roost shooting can be awesome fun! :yes:

6 acres is plenty of land to justify a 22lr, for maybe rabbits etc.

Shooting up with a 22 is iffy, But an FAC air rifle will do th biz no probs,, as will a sub 12ft lb air rifle,

Tbh it sounds like you don`t need an fac, and the FLO will realise this as well

Hi all,

The situation.

but now I would like to get my firearms licence mainly to shoot pigeons when they have landed in the trees.

thanks

to be fair james,

i dont think you are ready for an FAC yet- this is meant in the best possible way and not a slight on your shooting capabilities with a shotgun

but try to get out with someone who owns a rifle and find out about judging backstops, ranges and most importantly - safety with using a rifle, shooting up in trees with any firearm is ill advised and should you mention this to an FEO you'd be exposing your ignorane of firearm handling & in all honesty could jeapordise your SGC depending on their attitude

stick with the shottie's for now and find someone wh can mentor you for future benefit

as before, don't take this the wrong way, good luck and i wish you all the best for your pigeon problem

• Like 1

Its all about how you word it and doing your homework mate.

If you said you were going to use it to shoot skyline targets then obviously you are going to get a no. But if you say its for pest control IE Rabbits ect then you will be ok.

When i had my visit from my FEO he told me of a guy he and a colleage went to visit to grant a licence for a .22 LR

The Guy in question had nothing more then a large garden, Witha main road on one side and houses on the other, But looking out from his house down the garden there was a decent back stop in a stone hedge with some fields behind.

The guy explained to them that he had a rabbit problem at the bottom of his garden, He also explained that he had tried an air rifle and shot gun but they were out of range, So he wanted a .22LR to plonk away sat on his decking of an evening. He also told them that he knew he could only shoot in that direction and he was aware of the close proximity to the road and houses ect.

In the end he said they had to issue the licence as he had done his homework and given good cause to why he needed sed calibre of rifle.

Just goes to show mate if you have good cause to own a firearm they cant refuse you. Just have to think about what your going to use it for.

Hope this helps mate

Very true. I know of a personal with less than an acre, who was having a problem with roe, in their landscaped garden. Fencing off was not feasible as it would have made their garden look like a POW camp.

They were authorised to use .243, but with conditions.

They could only shoot from an upstairs window of their house, and only between certain hours.

Just goes to show, anything is possible if the conditions are there.

thanks for your reply s im probably trying to run before I can walk :hmm:

I'm going to do my homework about the Fac the real problem

is i don't have enough land for one and I should of thought what goes up must come down pretty basic stuff I think I will get some more experience and land then go for the Fac

thanks for your time all :huh:

thanks for your reply s im probably trying to run before I can walk :hmm:

I'm going to do my homework about the Fac the real problem

is i don't have enough land for one and I should of thought what goes up must come down pretty basic stuff I think I will get some more experience and land then go for the Fac

thanks for your time all :huh:

good attitude james :thumbs:

yes, runing before walking but we're all guilty of that...

as an aside, do you have any shoots locally where you could possibly do some beating and get your face known?

through networking like that and showing keen there is every possibility of opening up more land, more oportunities , even if it means filling hoppers, doin in the squizzers for the keeper etc etc it all adds up and builds peoples confidence

slowly slowly catch e monkey mate

read basc website for further FAC info,

best of luck

Edited by SikaTears

That's a very good idea I have done a lot of beating a few years back but had to stop to work more to pay the bills :cray: as it was on a weekday.

but I am going to try and find some beating for the weekends :yes: and see how it goes like you said could open some doors

thanks for your input mate helps alot

Hi all,

The situation.

but now I would like to get my firearms licence.

thanks

I got my FAC granted as an open ticket for about 5.5 acres, I did explain to him that although I had loads more land i have permission to shoot on that i wanted to use the 5.5 acre plot as the one that they came out to visit as I didnt want them to go round mithering all the farmer etc

Depends entirly on the suitability of land and the point of view of the inspecting officer.

Edited to say: that if you mention shooting pigeons up trees with a 22rf there is no way they will go for it, only for ground game.

Edited by lapin2008