A Poachers Tale.

theres some great true stories to be had up in scotland and the rest of the uk about deer phesis patridges and drift nettting for salmon ,seatrout , it still goes on and is no tale , but well were would you print them 70s on wards, i agree with some fellow members that a lot of books you read and whall as you go through the book, you put it down and you say a load of piss , sweat or cauld growing up getting auld and dying lay yore nets and gear were following the bonny shoals o sea troot all the best

I hear theres a book being compiled at the mo about such follies...... :drink::yes:

sean frain and most of them and there books would entertain a cabbage , you cant beat a book on a mans own toil wether down the river at night ,in the sea drifting for fish, sea trout or salmon, or in some estate or up in the wild hills , with jukels nets ,whatever means to make a buck or feed his self ,hard won knowledge never came cheap all the best

is that the same sean frain that spent 9 years in the SAS and writes under the name of chris ryan who to confuse and throw off terrorist writes books about terriers and ferrets or something.seen him deck a few . :big_boss::big_boss:

• 7 months later...
Guest Navigation
This was the first book i properly read on the glorious poaching life. It conjured up many dreams in my niave mind of legendry dogs and little poaching tricks that could fill a game bag time after time. I atill have that copy here in front of me....its been read to death and i really must buy another when i get the chance. its a first edition published in 1961. mine has the inscription

"To My dear Husband Jim from Gwen", so i guess i must have been given it or someone had bought it from a charity shop in the very early 80's.

I recommend this book to everyone and its one of those books i just read and read and read im reading it again actually! lol.. :icon_eek: does anyone on here know when Alfrerd Curtis died and is Fred J Speakman still with us????...

if you have never read this book, get one bought , it will be money well spent.

good hunting. JD :yes::yes:

J Darcy April 3 2007 post 217319

Pleased you enjoyed 'A Poachers Tale'.Alf Curtis lived most of his life in Edmonton North London.A folk-hero from a well known family.His nickname was 'Collar' owing to the fact he never wore a shirt collar. But some say he got the name by having his collar felt by the local constabulary.Can't tell you exactly when he died.But you can try the Edmonton website message board http://anidea.co.uk/lower-edmonton/