A Poachers Tale.

This was the first book i properly read on the glorious poaching life. It conjured up many dreams in my niave mind of legendry dogs and little poaching tricks that could fill a game bag time after time. I atill have that copy here in front of me....its been read to death and i really must buy another when i get the chance. its a first edition published in 1961. mine has the inscription

"To My dear Husband Jim from Gwen", so i guess i must have been given it or someone had bought it from a charity shop in the very early 80's.

I recommend this book to everyone and its one of those books i just read and read and read im reading it again actually! lol.. :icon_eek: does anyone on here know when Alfrerd Curtis died and is Fred J Speakman still with us????...

if you have never read this book, get one bought , it will be money well spent.

good hunting. JD :yes::yes:

YEP CHALKIE ,

I GET THAT FEELING WITH KEEP OUT AND DONT TOUCH SIGNS :laugh:

THE BEST CHAPTERS ARE ON BIRD CATCHING , AT A TIME WHEN IT WAS A TRANSITION FROM BEING LEGAL TO ILLEGAL TO CATCH WILD FINCHES ........ THE STORIES HAD ME TRANSFIXED AS A KID .......... AS THE OLD GRANDAD OF A MATE WAS A SUCKER FOR A LINNET :D

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

never read many poaching books as a lot are far from the truth and in modern times a bit diffrent ,was out down th river last night a walk had a close encounter ole bitch had a word with a buck on a fairway, four golfers still playing ,your collie s fighting with a deer ,i says , is that weres she got to , nightmare , fish are hanging round the estuarys now , time for sea trout , harold wymans is a classic , all the best, as for keep out sings private sings up hear in gods country they sell them for scrap

This was the first book i properly read on the glorious poaching life. It conjured up many dreams in my niave mind of legendry dogs and little poaching tricks that could fill a game bag time after time. I atill have that copy here in front of me....its been read to death and i really must buy another when i get the chance. its a first edition published in 1961. mine has the inscription

"To My dear Husband Jim from Gwen", so i guess i must have been given it or someone had bought it from a charity shop in the very early 80's.

I recommend this book to everyone and its one of those books i just read and read and read im reading it again actually! lol.. :icon_eek: does anyone on here know when Alfrerd Curtis died and is Fred J Speakman still with us????...

if you have never read this book, get one bought , it will be money well spent.

good hunting. JD :yes::yes:

You are a proper starter they all want it now you felcher you!

Guest The Big Fish
YEP CHALKIE ,

I GET THAT FEELING WITH KEEP OUT AND DONT TOUCH SIGNS :laugh:

THE BEST CHAPTERS ARE ON BIRD CATCHING , AT A TIME WHEN IT WAS A TRANSITION FROM BEING LEGAL TO ILLEGAL TO CATCH WILD FINCHES ........ THE STORIES HAD ME TRANSFIXED AS A KID .......... AS THE OLD GRANDAD OF A MATE WAS A SUCKER FOR A LINNET :D

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Duckwing, i remember many years ago, my grandfather teaching me how to catch wild birds, we would sit and wait for them to walk under the trap, then pull the string and run to see what we had caught :laugh:

Great fun!

ther a book out for maybe five years now callled poachers pie by ted ingles an imfamous poaching family who would make most look like kids, there the real deals in there time and would and still run the gauntlet on rivers and land and sea , they were on tv once or twice , saw them many atime floating down the river with wetsuit and nets , anothe ole boy a net maker trawls etc poaching salmon on the sea with gill nets at the drift, now theres a whole book on that subject , the river tweed has sixty paid bailiffes and it still gets poached

the mrs got me more poachers tales.... thought it was good too.

that is a different book matey. j humphreys wrote those ones....its "A POACHER TALE" rather than "poachers tales" totally different.. :yes:B)

theres some great true stories to be had up in scotland and the rest of the uk about deer phesis patridges and drift nettting for salmon ,seatrout , it still goes on and is no tale , but well were would you print them 70s on wards, i agree with some fellow members that a lot of books you read and whall as you go through the book, you put it down and you say a load of piss , sweat or cauld growing up getting auld and dying lay yore nets and gear were following the bonny shoals o sea troot all the best