CHILDREN & GUN SAFETY

just got back from 4 hours of shooting with the two boys aged 10 and 12. Ive kindly been given permission by a customer of mine to teach the boys how to shoot in the safety of his rubbish pitt. I shoot an FAC rated falcon producing 22ft lbs so we started shooting at about 25yrds at targets of 4inch round, this soon proved to be to easy so we lenghtened the distance to about 40 yrds. Again this soon became to easy for them so out went the range again to a measured 65yrds, this being the range i know the rifle is capible of dropping rabbits. Of course today wasnt about rabbits or pest control it was about some quality time spent with the boys and teaching them the joys of responcible gun use. I must admit that i am proud to say by the end of the time spent they were hitting targets the size of 10p pieces at that range off a rest in the prone position.

Of course safety was allways something that was on my mind so a good chat about the right way to handle a loaded rifle was given before any shooting took place along with a bit of range safety also. Both the boys know where my rifles are kept and why they are kept under lock and key, they also know that allthough they can be fun they can also be dangerous if not given the correct respect at all times. I myself was never shown by my father as he isnt a shooting man but would say to all fathers that shoot, regardless if you have boys or girls get them out with you for some target work, not only will it teach them the safety side of our sport it will give you something in return far greater than any sized bag from a day out in the field, some good old fashioned parent child time.

There is one thing i would suggest though. if you use a pcp dont do as i did, take the pump and not the tank as we shot over 300 pellets and at 20 useable shots per charge i done one hell of a lot of pumping and my back is now giving me some real s**t

:laugh: that'll teach you Martin, pumps are great fun :whistle: , good read Martin, enjoyed that B) ............Al :drink:

They allready have been asking :laugh::laugh:

Its something both the wife and i have thought about for a while anyway as we both feel its a good idea to set them off with the right attitude towards guns and respect for wild life, be it a quarry species or an animal that is to be left alone and just admired from a distance.

They come out mole trapping in their holidays as it is so i dont think it will be long before i have two budding apptrentices coming with me on my nights rabbit shooting. As was mentioned yesterday in a phone conversation with snareman, its all about starting kids off with the right outlook and attitude and preparing them with life skills that sadly many children wont ever get. ;)