work all day

hily

If you work a dog flat out every day as hard as the dog can work eventually something will give in the dog. Either the dog will pick up an injury or just burn him self out, all dogs will work through pain and exhaustion just because they love doing the job they were born for but it's a responsible owner that assess the dogs and rests it when required. If you have a working dog you have to slowly increase the dogs stamina and that doesn't include walking as walking and working are very different for the dog. Anyway just my thoughts.

as a trial dog its expected to work flat out for a small amount of time ,then its coat is put on and it rests.

if you then took the same trial dog and worked it for say an hour it would be knackered

couple of days later 2 hours completly knackered

surely after a period of time it would learn and slow down so it could do the whole day

i think that a trial dog would learn to last the day

it would be a rubbish trial dog but could work longer but at a slower pace

i,m no expert but would the trial dog become conditioned to work slower

just a few thoughts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily the boss picks up the feed bill LOL   With out doubt stamina is bred in to a dog without the correct physical conformation the dog will never reach the same levels as a dog bred specificall

i was using the trial dog as an example becauase thay are at one end of the scale and the plodder at the other ,i was just putting a different angle on an interesting thread

i,m not having a pop at anyone just i think a lot is conditioning. ie the way we bring our dogs up

trial dogs are trained to be trial dogs and the dogs that work all day ,everyday are brought up that way inbetween are the beaters dogs etc

Spanner in the works maybe, but my old man used to do a lot of trialing, and also used to work the same dogs a lot both rough shooting and on driven shoots. And as far as i am aware they excelled at both . . . . . .

Apart from that i agree with danw wholeheartedly! :thumbs:

ok we agrea to differ on this.I for one like a spaniel to give its all when out in front hunting and if that means only working for three or so hours then thats fine because if it do'nt work like a spanie(WORK AHOLIC) it might as well be a lab.and to be blunt i find it hard to believe that a spaniel can work for 10 hours at the speed it should and not tire.i did get my dogs with ftc in the pedigree its hard not to this dos'nt meen i trial them or even support field trials.

Mate I aint arguing with you or criticising your dogs if your happy with your dogs thats great but you must see the trends I point out within ftch rich pedigrees and to be blunt a dog as only does 3 hours wouldn't last a week in my kennel the job don't stop just cause pooch looks tired anyway should you ever be down this way pop in and see what these dogs can do they aint nowt flash just honest dogs that can be relied on to do the job all day long :thumbs:

happy to have look at the dogs lets know your location if its not to far we can meet

Dorset mate might be a bit far if your from Northumberland but the invite stands :thumbs:

Some good posts above perhaps a "trial dog" could be conditioned to work for a longer time but it isn't in the interests of the trial breeder they prefer a fast intense dog because thats what wins trials. so they breed to that trait those that want a working dog and not a competition dog are more likley to breed to a dog that uses it's head and learns pace and as I have said learns to trust it's nose something a lot of handlers need to do as well, perhaps then they wouldn't require a dog to smash every ounce of cover for no gain other than it is interesting to watch sanity should always come before vanity :thumbs:

had a look at the pedigrees of the dogs i have had back to the 80's the farthest red is four generations back and the closest is sired by a ftch all the dogs (bitches) where all a simillar stamp close coupled medium sized and all worked at an eager pace hunting hard to find and flush .these dogs main work was and is hunting all types of quarry on rough shoots i.m.o. the drive they have is and should be in all e.s.s.but i do think that if you are useing the dog doging/beating/ retrieving work day in day out over hundreds if not thousands of birds that the hunting drive becomes jaded and the dog slows down the idea that a dog learns to pace itself is crediting the dog with more brains than they have.also it would be hard to find any pup with little or no red in its line as the gene pool is not that large.I stick by my first post the duration of time the dog can work is relative to the work it does and the terrain it has to tackle.To say that a spanial thats any spanial can only hunt for ten minutes at a time is daft.

as a dog matures it will slow down & settle into it's job at a stedier pace

don't think it has much to do with havin great intelligence it's just growing

up & even if it is,it's no more than wolves do pacing themselves till a weak

or injured animal shows its self in a herd

Edited by pritch

does [NO TEXT TALK] give there dog anything to eat/drink to boost them up , reason i ask ive 2 springers that i let 1 hunt then call it to heel and let the orther 1 hunt i do this for the day i get out rough shooting which is just a saturday cos of work, but 1 of the dogs is a hunting machine clean crazy he would hunt a bare road and rips cover in bits a few trial men wanted to buy him but i held him for my shooting but when he hunts as i say he gives it 100% and within a short peroid of time he is done and is staggering as if he is drunk any tips on anything to give him to help him from staggering/collasping, the dog gets a walk every nite about 1 or 2 mile each nite but as i say cos of work he onlys get a saturday to get stuck in and hunt

does [NO TEXT TALK] give there dog anything to eat/drink to boost them up , reason i ask ive 2 springers that i let 1 hunt then call it to heel and let the orther 1 hunt i do this for the day i get out rough shooting which is just a saturday cos of work, but 1 of the dogs is a hunting machine clean crazy he would hunt a bare road and rips cover in bits a few trial men wanted to buy him but i held him for my shooting but when he hunts as i say he gives it 100% and within a short peroid of time he is done and is staggering as if he is drunk any tips on anything to give him to help him from staggering/collasping, the dog gets a walk every nite about 1 or 2 mile each nite but as i say cos of work he onlys get a saturday to get stuck in and hunt

Don't take this the wrong way mate but sounds like the dog just isn't fit you could try changing his diet and you could give him some of this when working http://www.activepetfeeds.com/pemmikan.php but truth is he just needs better conditioning difficult I know when you have to work.

know what u mean in the summer evenings he gets 3/4 miles walk plus hunting every nite but with the dark mornings and dark evenings its just a mile/2mile walk around the local playing fields , plus the hunting he does is in whins, heather type land and the heather really pulls it out of the dog i have him on a 26% protein diet

protien is for building muscle bulk but dogs get energy from fat if you

mix in some butchers offcuts know of a supplier of raw meat, i get my

meat from the local greyhound track & the dogs love it.but as has been

said 2 mile is nowt for a workin dog & then expect it to work all day

I keep mine working during the summer rough shooting rabbits, the pace is slower because of the heat and i do water retrieving on very hot days.

There is more rest days but i increase the work as we get closer to the season, so the dogs are working fit more or less from the first day of the season.

ATB

Dave.

my dogs work every day. we are lucky enough to live in country with a bit of game on the ground so a simple walk is a hunt and we have a dog day care business so my dogs are out nearly all day with various dogs, which involves a lot of running about over various terrain.

i beleive you can condition a dog as much as you like during the summer but it isnt really fit until its working at least 3 days a week