work all day

hily

ok we agrea to differ on this.I for one like a spaniel to give its all when out in front hunting and if that means only working for three or so hours then thats fine because if it do'nt work like a spanie(WORK AHOLIC) it might as well be a lab.and to be blunt i find it hard to believe that a spaniel can work for 10 hours at the speed it should and not tire.i did get my dogs with ftc in the pedigree its hard not to this dos'nt meen i trial them or even support field trials.

Mate I aint arguing with you or criticising your dogs if your happy with your dogs thats great but you must see the trends I point out within ftch rich pedigrees and to be blunt a dog as only does 3 hours wouldn't last a week in my kennel the job don't stop just cause pooch looks tired anyway should you ever be down this way pop in and see what these dogs can do they aint nowt flash just honest dogs that can be relied on to do the job all day long :thumbs:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Luckily the boss picks up the feed bill LOL   With out doubt stamina is bred in to a dog without the correct physical conformation the dog will never reach the same levels as a dog bred specificall

if a spaniel is working flat out for 10/12 hours at a time it must be a boring plodder to watch. You should get a good trial dog, you would be done in half the time and even have time to stop for lunch.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sportingspaniles

If you work a dog flat out every day as hard as the dog can work eventually something will give in the dog. Either the dog will pick up an injury or just burn him self out, all dogs will work through pain and exhaustion just because they love doing the job they were born for but it's a responsible owner that assess the dogs and rests it when required. If you have a working dog you have to slowly increase the dogs stamina and that doesn't include walking as walking and working are very different for the dog. Anyway just my thoughts.

Edited by Rhodey

pointing out a spelling mistake?. Top man!

Ok I will answer your post differently though I still find the mistake in your name hilariouse :tongue2: first I would not be done any faster and to suggest other wise says to me you haven't much idea about pheasants, secondly I don't worry as to whether my dogs are exciting to watch , worrying about their "style" is a trial thing and thirdly I prefer a dog that does not hit every cover like it's possessed but one which trusts it's nose and works smart hunting when it needs.

Top answer. Top man!

intrestin topic a dog doing 10/12 hours work a day 7 days aweek is some dog. a dog being out of the kennal for 10/12 doing bits here and there a diffrent matter be nice to no what feed the dogs get cos plain ole biscet out of the bag wouldnt hold em. they need to be fed good red meat with belly pork for the fats to keep a body on the dog no callin you a liar but to do them hours you must be worryed with heat exhursion fair play to ya thro

Top answer. Top man!

intrestin topic a dog doing 10/12 hours work a day 7 days aweek is some dog. a dog being out of the kennal for 10/12 doing bits here and there a diffrent matter be nice to no what feed the dogs get cos plain ole biscet out of the bag wouldnt hold em. they need to be fed good red meat with belly pork for the fats to keep a body on the dog no callin you a liar but to do them hours you must be worryed with heat exhursion fair play to ya thro

Mate if folks read my post they will see that I said 1 day on 1 day off not every day and I clearly said they where not worked continuously ,No they don't just get biscuit we have our own butchers on site for the farm shop and all the offcuts inc hearts etc are minced for the dogs,Heat exhaustion can be a problem and on the hottest days I swap between dogs so rather than working 3 at a time I drop back to 1 maybe 2 and make sure we pass plenty of water troughs.

Top answer. Top man!

Mate if folks read my post they will see that I said 1 day on 1 day off not every day and I clearly said they where not worked continuously ,No they don't just get biscuit we have our own butchers on site for the farm shop and all the offcuts inc hearts etc are minced for the dogs,Heat exhaustion can be a problem and on the hottest days I swap between dogs so rather than working 3 at a time I drop back to 1 maybe 2 and make sure we pass plenty of water troughs.

well fair play at least ya dogs are used and being out that amount they no there job like you do and thats why there steady plodders

Top answer. Top man!

well fair play at least ya dogs are used and being out that amount they no there job like you do and thats why there steady plodders

Sounds like someone is a "Sit, whistle whistle whistle.........go back......whistle whistle whistle.....indicate left.....whistle whistle whistle.......indicate right......whistle whistle whistle.....aw ffs!!!.....whistle whistle whistle whistle..... :censored: :censored: :censored: ....whistle whistle whistle...................................oh he's got it!!!!...................... :whistling: :whistling:

imo if your working spaniels for a long period of time on a regular basis they learn to pace themselves, Doing a couple of drives with a dog then changing it keeps them a little more keen i think. and that way you have your focus on one dog and all the dogs get some action :thumbs:

Walshy

Top answer. Top man!

Sounds like someone is a "Sit, whistle whistle whistle.........go back......whistle whistle whistle.....indicate left.....whistle whistle whistle.......indicate right......whistle whistle whistle.....aw ffs!!!.....whistle whistle whistle whistle..... :censored: :censored: :censored: ....whistle whistle whistle...................................oh he's got it!!!!...................... :whistling: :whistling:

tastic you do know we are on about spaniels hunting not labs retrieving as even with your first reply you are writing about a retrieving trial again iam not into trials but i do respect the fact that these people put the time in to turn out a dog that is trained to a high standard i can't do this but i get the dogs trained enough to be able to shoot over them

ok we agrea to differ on this.I for one like a spaniel to give its all when out in front hunting and if that means only working for three or so hours then thats fine because if it do'nt work like a spanie(WORK AHOLIC) it might as well be a lab.and to be blunt i find it hard to believe that a spaniel can work for 10 hours at the speed it should and not tire.i did get my dogs with ftc in the pedigree its hard not to this dos'nt meen i trial them or even support field trials.

Mate I aint arguing with you or criticising your dogs if your happy with your dogs thats great but you must see the trends I point out within ftch rich pedigrees and to be blunt a dog as only does 3 hours wouldn't last a week in my kennel the job don't stop just cause pooch looks tired anyway should you ever be down this way pop in and see what these dogs can do they aint nowt flash just honest dogs that can be relied on to do the job all day long :thumbs:

happy to have look at the dogs lets know your location if its not to far we can meet

Top answer. Top man!

I only hunt one dog at a time i see you share the work with three :tongue2: just josshin you have stated that trial dogs only work in spurts of ten mins at a time anyone new to spaniels reading your comments could be put off taken on a spaniel for a working dog thats why i started this topic. On a trial day as there is a time scale when they have 10 or 12 dogs competing they are only a allowed this amount of time to work that does not meen to say they can't work for longer