Gamekeeping. Past, present and future.

It seems every day I see more and more young lads claim they want to be a 'keeper'.

But do they actually know what this entails?

Do they know the commitment needed, the dedication, the fact your social life will be non existent 99% of the year, you will alienate yourself from your friends, you wont have 2 pennys to rub together etc etc and when your 60 years old and no use to no c**t you will be disposed of homeless and poor.

7 of my friends including my brother have started in gamekeeping careers 3 on grouse 4 on pheasants . Only one remains. All of them have lasted at least 2-3 years minimum before they decided on pastures new.

It seems in this day and age the job has too many demands for all but the most dedicated (or the most stupid, I don't know).

The days of yes sir no sir how many bags full sir are gone.

Vicarious liability laws in Scotland are meaning the bigshots are loosing their bottle and pulling out left right and centre now they know when shit hits the fan they will be held accountable for the organised crime that has occured in the industry since day dot.

What are your opinions of how keepering as a career will change in the years to come?.

I personally wouldn't do the job for all the tea in China. You only live once and to spend your life grafting your arse to the bone is no life to live.

I think this should be an informative thread to all the youngsters who come on here and decide that after a year on the dole they have what it takes to make the grade, maybe so, but think hard before you spend alot more time effort and money learning a 'trade' you may well chuck in a years time.

FTB

• Like 3

Funny enough its wat i wanted to do [bANNED TEXT] i was 12 but after talking to the ex gamekeeper who barrie hines baised his book and film on decided not or if i had i would have done wat an old mate did and milked the job for all its worth shame the auditers caught up with him lol

Funny enough its wat i wanted to do [bANNED TEXT] i was 12 but after talking to the ex gamekeeper who barrie hines baised his book and film on decided not or if i had i would have done wat an old mate did and milked the job for all its worth shame the auditers caught up with him lol

lol

Cheers for the input mate. Although it could be said with a fair degree of certainty that you will have a slightly biased opinion :laugh:

FTB

i ws kepering in the 80,s the job was ok then i was single handed and could make a few bob ,there was money about the tips were good ,and few silly restrictions ,, ..;glad im not doing it now .. .good luck to these young kids taking courses ,, , youll probebly find yourselves stuck in rearing sheds for ever more .. ,, it aint all carrying a gun !! and tweed suits youll soon find that out !!!

thats right most of my family are shit bags an thats been nice not peeps a want round me theres just me are lass an the dogs an im sure a could fit some dogging work in to any keepering that a was doing at time.... so what exactly does it contain a know upland keepering will be diffrent from lowland keepering?????

well i aint got no freinds to speak of an i aint got no social life so fukc it thje jobs just the ticket pal any takers pm me :laugh::thumbs:

But wat about the perminant red mark you would get on your fore head or the greasey finger and thumb print on your hat from tugging your fore lock and doffing your cap all the time lol.Or you could do wat another mate did who went keepering up scotland run off with the lady of the manor wich i found funny as i was his best man when he got married in the 80s down here lol.

well i aint got no freinds to speak of an i aint got no social life so fukc it thje jobs just the ticket pal any takers pm me :laugh::thumbs:

But wat about the perminant red mark you would get on your fore head or the greasey finger and thumb print on your hat from tugging your fore lock and doffing your cap all the time lol.Or you could do wat another mate did who went keepering up scotland run off with the lady of the manor wich i found funny as i was his best man when he got married in the 80s down here lol.

think you might be right bud arse licking the landed gentry aint for me i thinks lol must admit though ive met a few down to earth so called gentry in my time lol not one for doffing the cap bud or bowing less im up before the magistrates :laugh::D:thumbs:

I wouldn't change my job for the world! I love being a keeper!!! and yes i am young

Good man :thumbs: same as that except maybe not so young LOL most of us piss and whinge about the job but wouldn't/couldn't' ever do anything else :D

It seems every day I see more and more young lads claim they want to be a 'keeper'.

Do they know the commitment needed, the dedication, the fact your social life will be non existent 99% of the year, you will alienate yourself from your friends, you wont have 2 pennys to rub together etc etc and when your 60 years old and no use to no c**t you will be disposed of homeless and poor.

7 of my friends including my brother have started in gamekeeping careers 3 on grouse 4 on pheasants . Only one remains. All of them have lasted at least 2-3 years minimum before they decided on pastures new.

It seems in this day and age the job has too many demands for all but the most dedicated (or the most stupid, I don't know).

Vicarious liability laws in Scotland are meaning the bigshots are loosing their bottle and pulling out left right and centre now they know when shit hits the fan they will be held accountable for the organised crime that has occured in the industry since day dot.

What are your opinions of how keepering as a career will change in the years to come?.

I personally wouldn't do the job for all the tea in China. You only live once and to spend your life grafting your arse to the bone is no life to live.

I think this should be an informative thread to all the youngsters who come on here and decide that after a year on the dole they have what it takes to make the grade, maybe so, but think hard before you spend alot more time effort and money learning a 'trade' you may well chuck in a years time.

FTB

Are you a keeper yourself pal?

FTB

Are you a keeper yourself pal?

No mate.

I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China, I value my own time too much and although there are certain aspects of the job I would love, there are also certain aspects I would hate.

I have done a fair amount of keepering work for the last few years between helping friends, family and others but that was only temporary.

What about yourself? What direction do you see it taking, Im assuming you are a grouse keeper?

The grouse industry is the one I feel will change most in the coming years.

Thought there would be far more input into this thread :hmm: seems not many are that bothered?

FTB

Its a strange one for me. I've never worked for estate and any shoots i've had have been me renting the place and letting out shooting. I never went to college but i learned the stuff i know from my Grandad. I spent alot of time learning on the rearing field first....and although maybe a little biased i have always thought that this is the hard bit of the job..... :whistling: The keepering side of things for me was great. I loved shoot days(when it was going right) and just getting out there and working the dogs.

Obviously there are alot of bad points with the main one being 'time'.You have no time for a private life......guarenteed when friends/family have something on you are up to your arse with work.. :yes: When your young you dont want to work every weekend but in the keepering world you do.

I reckon its a great job for 30-60 year old. When you leave school get yourself a 9-5 and enjoy a bit of life....then when you've had your fun and settled down a bit the weekends just roll into the weeks and you wont feel like your missing out anytimes.

For me i wouldn't change it for the world and always have an ear out for a bit of land that might suit me for a shoot. But my bread and butter is the rearing side of things so it would have to fit in nicely with that..... :thumbs:

• Like 2