Any local forres or nairn wildfowlers on here??

It was good mate, alhough the weather and tide was against me a wee bit. Only got 1 night on the beach, which can be really good.

Listen to your mate there, Castle Stuart can be good, so can McDermotts old place, there is a big lagoon down there and plenty of ducks and geese roost down there....

Have a good trip and let us know how you go.....there are thousands of geese up there at the moment and plenty of ducks too......

Will defo be giving them spots a try...Wheres mcdermotts old place?? you back up this season at all?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, best thing to do is google map it, look along the road between Nairn and Ardersier and you will see the long straight access road down to the old rig building yard....loads of spots down there to try...big coastline and lots of dunes etc.....you will see the lagoon no probs on the map.

I might be back up before the 20th, depends on work etc....hoping to! Meanwhile I am hitting the foreshore on forth, plenty about there too....best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Well had a decent end to the season, plenty geese and duck up at Findhorn area bag a good number but missed more. tried a couple of new spots for the first time and will be back to try them again next season. Shot the bay twice and seen the usual 15+ guns with hides that should need planning permission down in "Cowboys Corner" first lot that went over them were met with a barrage of shots that would fear you,watching through the bins i seen one winged bird come down....Then watched as 2guns walked straight out into the mud to retrieve it which then lifted eveything else on the estuary and sent a good few up our way. which gave me a couple in the bag. after that we didnt shoot the bay till our last morning. which was pretty similar story geese flighting out over "Cowboys Corner" no matter the height they were met with shots!! Not saying im whiter than white but couldnt be assed with that fighting for a spot then being that desperate for a bird shooting at anything going over. Gives Wildfowlers a bad name.

Well thats my first season wildfowling and even though i'm totally shite and really can't hit a cow on the arse with a banjo i'm totally hooked and in love with the whole shooting match.

Met some great guys and got alot of help, cheers j4wgs.

I spent my last flight this evening on the Estuary with nobody else there.

I got down a little early and sat and watched all the different bird life go about there daily business and had a pleasant surprise as a large barn owl who was hunting on the point of the south shore suddenly came upon a camo and mud clad bloke lying in the mud.

It was within 6 feet of me and looked as startled as i was.

It flew out about 30 yards then came right back at me and hovered about 20 feet away, just staring straight at me, then it went back to its hunting as though i wasn't there.

Great to see one of these beautiful birds up close.

Even though i blanked (again) It felt amazing being out there in the mud with the wind howling, i sat for a little while after the flight had finished with a big cheesy grin on my face.

Al be counting down the weeks to next season.

ATB Chris. :thumbs::bye: