There's been a murrrrrrda!

i know a trained sparrow-hawk could not kill numerous pheasants safely and this would lead e to believe it is a gos, buzzard etc. but i also know, to take a pigeon with a trained spar is quite a hard task, but wild spars seem to take quite a few. if it is not a mature pheasent then i know of a few sparrowhawks that have taken young pheasents. but in my opinion, a spar could not take a full grown pheasent

I must admit, the first time I was told that a Sparrowhawk was taking them, I was a little sceptical, especially as we have quite a few Goshawks too, but after seeing it with my own eyes I now have no doubt.

Most of the victims have been little heavier than a Woody, and I've watched Sparrowhawks take them on numerous occasions.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dog did it with candlestick in the dining room lol

My guess would be Buzzard or Sparrowhawk

Wouldn't happen to be somewhere north of the border would it??   Wouldn't matter where the birds came from anyway, in the words of a post in a recent topic........the Sparrowhawks are 'as hard as fe

the hen is not full grown so a spar could kill it with ease!!! look at the feathers, they have been plucked out rather than ripped, hence why they have there points intact :thumbs:

As i've already said to Kenny he must be the unluckiest keeper alive as there not many Spars' that take poults after the 12 week stage........ :yes:

the hen is not full grown so a spar could kill it with ease!!! look at the feathers, they have been plucked out rather than ripped, hence why they have there points intact :thumbs:

As i've already said to Kenny he must be the unluckiest keeper alive as there not many Spars' that take poults after the 12 week stage........ :yes:

bollocks lab :D mate if a bird is finding prey handed out on a plate it will do its best to adapt to it!! it might not take them easy BUT it will take them when needed :yes::victory:

bollocks lab :D mate if a bird is finding prey handed out on a plate it will do its best to adapt to it!! it might not take them easy BUT it will take them when needed :yes::victory:

You two at it again lol when are you lads coming for this rough day then??

Your the one talking bollocks.... :D You dont find many poults over the age of 12 weeks killed by Spars and that my friend is a fact............ :tongue2: Now thats not to say that it never happens but i would say its few and far between.

Sometime in Jan would be great mate, your the boss.. :D .....................it depends when numbnuts is back from Sweden i suppose............. :laugh:

• Like 1

:laugh: :laugh: i love lab- tastic!!! but will stand up for my side as much as he does lol!!! but yes im still defo up for that day dan, show old turkey neck how its done :whistling: :whistling: :laugh:

Your the one talking bollocks.... :D You dont find many poults over the age of 12 weeks killed by Spars and that my friend is a fact............ :tongue2: Now thats not to say that it never happens but i would say its few and far between.

:laugh: well how old would you say the hen in the pic is mate?? :hmm:

Sometime in Jan would be great mate, your the boss.. :D .....................it depends when numbnuts is back from Sweden i suppose............. :laugh:

:laugh:

I have a gap in the shoot days between the 16th of dec and the 6th of jan then dont' shoot again till the 20th and the 24th beaters day the 31th so pick your day boys am looking forward to seeing these gundogs shown up LOL

A first years Hen pheasant at a guess............... :whistling: But its bound to be atleast 18-20 weeks and that would be a late hatch. Kenny has already said there very small and he has also said that there was another very near by....another thing that a Spar wouldn't do? Maybe theres a cat going about.... :icon_eek:

I have a gap in the shoot days between the 16th of dec and the 6th of jan then dont' shoot again till the 20th and the 24th beaters day the 31th so pick your day boys am looking forward to seeing these gundogs shown up LOL

:laugh: :laugh: sounds good mate!!! my bitch wont be fully trained tho as ive been away for a few months BUT she is a bull cross so still be better than buzz :whistling: :whistling: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: sounds good mate!!! my bitch wont be fully trained tho as ive been away for a few months BUT she is a bull cross so still be better than buzz :whistling: :whistling: :laugh:

Probably couldn't even outrun the Buzz never mind find game better.......... :laugh:

Excuses starting already :lol: :lol: