does anybody no any game keepers in oxfordshire that are taking on apprenticeship

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh I dont really agree with that, many of the younger keepers in the job are clever enough to realise what a handy tool a good lurcher can be.......do keep up with the times old boy

Praise the lord!..I mean, Gerfalcon. Do apologies

Gerfalcon it looks like it's not just lurchers you find a nuisance. I'm surprised you are willing to write to anyone on this site seeing that we are sewer rats or are you trying to save the righteous

• 4 weeks later...

Not having a saluki bull greyhound lurcher will also help. :thumbs:

Along with the spelling of course.

Headkeepers usually get 60+ applicants for any apprentices jobs, if it gets advertised and is not filled by word of mouth and personal recommendation. They can afford to be very very choosy, and they are!.

Oh I dont really agree with that, many of the younger keepers in the job are clever enough to realise what a handy tool a good lurcher can be.......do keep up with the times old boy :D

• Like 3

Oh I dont really agree with that, many of the younger keepers in the job are clever enough to realise what a handy tool a good lurcher can be.......do keep up with the times old boy :D

A few realise what a pain in the arse they can be as well!! Have to admit it doesn't do lads many favours when i'm looking to take someone on. Sure there'll be plenty on here who will have something to say about that but maybe i'm old fashioned! :thumbs:

A few realise what a pain in the arse they can be as well!! Have to admit it doesn't do lads many favours when i'm looking to take someone on. Sure there'll be plenty on here who will have something to say about that but maybe i'm old fashioned! :thumbs:

You are ya grumpy git :laugh:.....I seem to remember a young lurcher on a shoot day last year :D

How is the banshee settling in?......is he still alive? lol

Edited by WILF

You are ya grumpy git :laugh:

How is the banshee settling in?......is he still alive? lol

Just been reading the other thread about noise in the beating line, found a better use for radio yesterday. Helps get attention of idiot beaters if you throw it at them!! Grumpy? You got the wrong bloke.

Cracking mate, been more settled than I was expecting, got a bit excited when did drive next to house but they all do! Hounds might be here next weds, might have to muscle my way in if they get on here. Cadbury anyone? :whistling:

Just been reading the other thread about noise in the beating line, found a better use for radio yesterday. Helps get attention of idiot beaters if you throw it at them!! Grumpy? You got the wrong bloke.

Cracking mate, been more settled than I was expecting, got a bit excited when did drive next to house but they all do! Hounds might be here next weds, might have to muscle my way in if they get on here. Cadbury anyone? :whistling:

So Lena has a nasty bump on the head today then? :laugh:

Show those crappy hunt terriers what a proper dog is all about mate :D ..........

Wilf

There's nothing like gaining a bit of experience to show you the errors of your youth. :laugh:

No lad with a lurcher would get an interview let alone a job with any of the headkeepers and single handed keepers that I am acquainted with. For a number of reasons, that we are all very aware of.

Wilf

There's nothing like gaining a bit of experience to show you the errors of your youth. :laugh:

No lad with a lurcher would get an interview let alone a job with any of the headkeepers and single handed keepers that I am acquainted with. For a number of reasons, that we are all very aware of.

You should get around more then old bean :yes::thumbs:

Absolutely. :thumbs:

You can't stop folk from dreaming though :rolleyes:

Wilf

You should get around more then old bean :yes::thumbs:

No worries in that regard. I get around a considerable amount. Thanks. But I am selective with whom I associate. :big_boss::cheers:

Was sat in Littlevixens kitchen on Sunday talking about how on fox drives, even the most proficient game shot can struggle with foxes on the ground and coming through the guns, a situation when as I am sure you will agree, a decent lurcher would have come in very handy indeed.......pre ban of course.

Was sat in Littlevixens kitchen on Sunday talking about how on fox drives, even the most proficient game shot can struggle with foxes on the ground and coming through the guns, a situation when as I am sure you will agree, a decent lurcher would have come in very handy indeed.......pre ban of course.

I hope he made you a cuppa!

In my opinion based upon experience. Being a proficient game shot don't always make one the best shooter of foxes on a vermin drive. Experience and a cool head most certainly do. No I wouldn't agree with you in regards to a lurcher being handy in such a situation.

Edited by gerfalcon