I had this conversation some time ago with a wildfowler who spends pretty much all his life on a House boat around the Marshes in Norfolk, he told me the most recorded ducks shot with a Punt Gun was 36 :icon_eek:, to be Honest I find this hard to beleive but can anyone shed any light if this is true or what the total really is?

Jasper

Guest Macnas

I'm not sure, someone like Payne-Gallwey would have wrote about it I'm sure.

But given that punt guns are basically small cannon, I wouldnt be at all surprised that a figure of 36 could be harvested with one.

I was flicking through a really old book only the other day (some 1800c first edition) and that had loads on the old punt gunning. I seem to remember them getting a lot more than 36 but to see the 'plates' of scteches the amount of game was amazing.

One of the techniques for the best bags (as opposed to stalking a flock with the punt disguised as a bit of floating marsh) was to place wooded decoys in teo rows with a few live birds teathered by the leg in the middle. The hunter would wait until one of the rows was groaning creaking with duck before yanking the chain and cleaning up. :icon_eek:

That reminds me Localyokel of a old black and white documentary I saw on the telly, the guy looked like he has a floating reed bed with just small paddles either side to get him moving! as I remember they also filled the bloody things with all sorts of things like Nuts and peices of lead and whatever else they could lay their hands on :icon_eek:

Sounds like a awsome peice of kit General Nelson would have been proud of ;), I would have loved to have tried it.....

just scouted on Youtube for "Punt Gun" and came across this Clip....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...