i would go with a .177 every time now, years ago i was strictly .22, but eventually got persuaded that a .177 was the calibre needed, and more than capable to do the job in hand,and would take anything that i wanted to shoot provided that the shot placement was on the button.........

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Each as good as the other, the only two things that a .177 has over a .22 is price of pellets and a flatter trajectory   If you can put the pellet where its needed then either cal will kill what yo

Hi mate,   It comes down to a few things really on your part mate due to the list you have written being 2 potential night time quarry and 2 day time species.   I would ask myself the following qu

Haven't seen one of these threads for a while! :laugh:

Nor me :tongue2:

anyway , gays use .22 ...........

and i was just going to say, there is rarely any bad mouthing or slagging in these type of threads.........lol, :tongue2:

all the best,

and i was just going to say, there is rarely any bad mouthing or slagging in these type of threads.........lol, :tongue2:

all the best,

No slagging, just home truths.. ;) It takes a proper man to use the proper hunting calibre (.22) to it's maximum effect.. :whistling::laugh:

all the best,

No slagging, just home truths.. ;) It takes a proper man to use the proper hunting calibre (.22) to it's maximum effect.. :whistling::laugh:

But you can almost hit anywhere with 22 . I like to think that the .177 is more of a precision tool :bye:

Yah have to think of shooting as having sex :yes: and your quarry as the woman your about to drill :yes:

Small and fast just doesn't do it, Slow, hard and the extra girth wins everytime :victory:

Although after my little session on the bunnies tonight, I'd need a Cruise missle to hit the spot :icon_redface:

You could simply have both calibres, buy one, then get the other calibre when time and funds allow! The .177 is an ideal summer hunting tool, when winds are light (???) as the .177 can suffer with being blown off course. You can get round that by using a heavier pellet, but then the looping trajectory of the .22 is more evident. Another way round this is to get a .22 and use a scope like a MAP or SR reticle Hawke, with Charigun and.or BRC you can get accurate impact information.

On the HW100 I have a Hawke SR6 scope, that gives me a 30 metre zero point and 5 metre impact points to 60 metres. So you can shoot to kill at ranges beyond your zero point with ease. The Airmax scopes from Hawke are available in a MAP reticle at prices that are realistic (from about £40 depending where you shop). This coupled with a good air rifle will give you opportunity to hunt effectively!

You could simply have both calibres, buy one, then get the other calibre when time and funds allow! The .177 is an ideal summer hunting tool, when winds are light (???) as the .177 can suffer with being blown off course. You can get round that by using a heavier pellet, but then the looping trajectory of the .22 is more evident. Another way round this is to get a .22 and use a scope like a MAP or SR reticle Hawke, with Charigun and.or BRC you can get accurate impact information.

On the HW100 I have a Hawke SR6 scope, that gives me a 30 metre zero point and 5 metre impact points to 60 metres. So you can shoot to kill at ranges beyond your zero point with ease. The Airmax scopes from Hawke are available in a MAP reticle at prices that are realistic (from about £40 depending where you shop). This coupled with a good air rifle will give you opportunity to hunt effectively!

That's spot on Moley :thumbs:

Combine that with a laser rangefinder (which every responsible hunter should have) and you've got one hell of a combinaton. There's no reason the .22 can't be as, if not more, effective with that sort of combo. I have the Guntuff rangerfinder with a picture of my calibrated mil-dots taped to the side of it. One zap and look at the side of the rangefinder and I know exactly where to aim :D

ATB

Some 24 years ago i had a .22. Then one day i met a lad in my local quarry and he had a .177 HW77. A rabbit was sat on the rocks well out of my range and this lad just whacked it, open-sights, straight through the head. That was enough for me and i have never had a .22 since. I've shot everything there is to shoot with a .177 and i don't see a single negative factor for them. The only thing some lads have said to me is "Well they don't have the stopping power for rabbits, rats and squirrels".

Well, you hit any of those three rodents in the head then if will be calling for their P45, cos the games over.

Cost aside, the .177 is a fast flying, flat flying lethal round and theres a damn sight less hold-over than with the banana trajectory of a .22. The rifles doesn't need to be souped-up, just straight-out-of-the-box 11.7f/lb and it will kill what you want it to kill.

Yes, maybe i'm getting stubborn in me old age, but best believe what your eyes tell you, then you won't go far wrong.

Today i'm nowhere near as keen as i once was, but having tried both calibres in practically every hunting scenario, on all quarry, both by day and by night, i know what comes out tops..... :thumbs:

100 percent with you ..................... I think the .22 myth started years ago when the daddys on the block were BSA supersports or webley mark 3 s .Hitting a 10 ftlbs in 22 but with the 177 only hitting 9 ftlbs .With open sights only, your range was 25 yards .The .22 in this case is king ..........But to day with both calibers hitting 12 ftlbs teiscopic sights and pcp the 177 is king [at 12ftlbs].and the mythical hard hitting properties of .22 can now be acheved with a heavy 177 pellet in a pcp gun ......A bit piontless as a light 177 will kill a rabbit dead at 50 yards even if you aim for its head vier its tail end.