Photo
- - - - -

my first snaring and i saw the whole thing !

Rabbit Snaring

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 NextGenerationTrapper

NextGenerationTrapper

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

hello there i snared my first rabbit today and i saw it all i have photos of the rabbit and the snare before after i set the snare i got out the camera to take a photo of the snare so you could all see it and all of a sudden before my very eyes a rabbit bolts straight into the hole and into my snare! such a nice sound hearing the thud of the string and wire becoming taught. we'll heres a picture of the snare a few seconds before it became rabbits killer.
snare

and heres the rabbit it caught.

rabbit

Attached Files

#2 NextGenerationTrapper

NextGenerationTrapper

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

sorry for the pictures never put them up before but its a start the snares hard to see has the white paracord then goes off to a thin green garden wire but you can just see it in the entrance of the burrow

#3 gnipper

gnipper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,716 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

http://www.thehuntin...aring-gswaters/

Check out the articles by G Waters mate and you'll catch a lot more.

#4 shaunpauls7

shaunpauls7

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

Nice one bud many of more to come.
Can remember the first field snared rabbit i got was over the moon.

Remember to check your snares at least once every 24hrs saves the jip if someone stumbles across them and by law.

atb shaun :thumbs:

Edited by shaunpauls7, 16 October 2011 - 08:14 PM.

#5 MR TEA POT

MR TEA POT

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Why you setting snares over the burrow entrance? snares are set on the runs.
What made the rabbit bolt into that hole you snared? :hmm:
I just find it hard to belive that you was around the hole setting your snare and then a rabbit just happened to run into that hole...

#6 NextGenerationTrapper

NextGenerationTrapper

Rookie Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

i know it shocked even me! it must have been laying low as i was near it and win i stood back up again obviously it got scared and bolted! lovely rabbit though made a very nice supper :) and the runs are not very obvious in that field so i set them over the burrows

#7 moley

moley

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Why you setting snares over the burrow entrance? snares are set on the runs.
What made the rabbit bolt into that hole you snared? http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...
I just find it hard to belive that you was around the hole setting your snare and then a rabbit just happened to run into that hole...

why have snares got to be set on runs ?
yes , thats where they work best , but sometimes you got to look outside the box, not all rabbit catching situations are perfect, so you gotta do different stuff, its still a result for the lad

#8 logun

logun

Extreme Hunter

• Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

got to be honest moley i had lots of rabbits as a kid with snares set over holes,, used to run them in with my collie at ther time , and mr tea pot ? dont knock peoples ideas of trying.. ;) we aint all megga trappers on here as you and others !!!

#9 IanB

IanB

------

• Administrator
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:10 AM

I was going to comment earlier but never did, agree with moley and logun.. snaring in burrows and earths is not hard, done properly its very effective, especially rabbits and foxes..Should I sort some footage out when I get time?

#10 AndrewEdwardDennis

AndrewEdwardDennis

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

I was going to comment earlier but never did, agree with moley and logun.. snaring in burrows and earths is not hard, done properly its very effective, especially rabbits and foxes..Should I sort some footage out when I get time?

yes would be great ian

#11 foxdropper

foxdropper

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

Not sure of the lagalities but here goes -Before i had a shotgun or a lurcher we used to snare bolting foxes when using terriers and the success rate was very high ,unless charlie walked out and pushed it aside .The terrier knew the drill and waited at the entrance for it to be lifted ,after getting caught a few times i might add .Dont ask what the despatch method was as that may of contravened a law or two even back then .

#12 MR TEA POT

MR TEA POT

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

got to be honest moley i had lots of rabbits as a kid with snares set over holes,, used to run them in with my collie at ther time , and mr tea pot ? dont knock peoples ideas of trying.. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub... we aint all megga trappers on here as you and others !!!

I was not knocking him for trying i was just asking thats all,and i am deffo not a megga trapper :thumbs: